• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most irritating (small) things on trains...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Toilet paper packed so tightly into its container it disintegrates when you try and get a couple of sheets out.

Saperstein

Announcements you can’t hear because either the person making it speaks too far from the mike or the PA system is shot. EMT and TFW 158’s spring immediately to mind!

And yes... changed platforms!

Last edited:

WestRiding

Guards pretending to be a Air Hostess. Guards making announcements in adition to the already automatic announcements. Getting 5 mins of drivel announcements leaving KX only then for the bleeding Catering staff to give it another 5 mins of drivel. By the time they have done, its nearly time to stop at Stevenage, where it all starts again.

WestRiding

Oh and the announcement that goes something like 'safety information is provided at the end of each carriage, please take time to read this'. One day, i wish the full coach of passengers would jump up and rush, jostling to the safety info to read it. Pointless announcements.

Wombat

I think the most trivial thing that annoys me to a disproportionate extent is the provision of platform information at Waterloo. For some reason the platform for the 17:54 to Dorking is always revealed at the last minute, despite almost always departing from platform 1. The trains departing before and after it will have their platforms announced in good time, but not the 17:54. This is the sort of thing:

17:52 to Addlestone - platform 21
17:53 to Alton - platform 7
17:54 to Dorking -
17:57 to Strawberry Hill - platform 4
17:58 to Windsor - platform 24
18:00 to Portsmouth Harbour - platform 15

It's infuriating. It shouldn't be, I know, but it is. Every day, that damn gap. I assume that the people who organise these things do it to spite me personally :)

(Actually, though I concede it's not really a huge issue it is actually a small but genuine problem. I can't stand for long, so rely on this information to get into a position on the platform that affords me a suitable seat on the train.)

MML

A fellow passenger cutting their finger nails.
You're in fear of a rogue nail clipping pinging in your direction. And can only imagine, the pile of nail clippings under the seat.

And why is it that so many people find an instant urge to eat an orange when onboard a moving train.
Orange peal over the seats and the smell of orange permeating the entire carriage.
Can't they wait until they are in the privacy of their own home. No consideration for others at all.

Typhoon

Established Member
Announcements like 'This train will call at' that include place names that are missaid (wrongly pronounced or just wrong). After every stop, the same inaccuracy.

Recorded announcements that contradict what the guard/ conductor has just told you.

mrcheek

Established Member
Trains suddenly arriving in reverse formation when I am waiting on the platform in what I think is the correct place when travelling First Class

Ethano92

Southern between Clapham junction and Victoria
"Ding ding this is Clapham junction. Ding ding this train is the southern service to London Victoria the next station is London victoria"

*Train moving for 10 seconds*
"Ding ding this train is the southern service...

"Ding ding this train is now approaching London Victoria please remember to take all of your belongings with you thank you for travelling with southern..."

Meanwhile SWR
"this is Clapham junction"
"Welcome aboard the south western railway service to London Waterloo only"

"This train is now approaching it's final stop this is London waterloo change here for London underground services. Please remember...all change".
Far more concise if it wasn't for some particular guards who want to repeat everything just said, some are helpful and give you a status update for the tube but not all.

Announcements don't really annoy me but I know some hate drivel.

DanTrain

Southern between Clapham junction and Victoria
"Ding ding this is Clapham junction. Ding ding this train is the southern service to London Victoria the next station is London victoria"

*Train moving for 10 seconds*
"Ding ding this train is the southern service...

"Ding ding this train is now approaching London Victoria please remember to take all of your belongings with you thank you for travelling with southern..."

Meanwhile SWR
"this is Clapham junction"
"Welcome aboard the south western railway service to London Waterloo only"

"This train is now approaching it's final stop this is London waterloo change here for London underground services. Please remember...all change".
Far more concise if it wasn't for some particular guards who want to repeat everything just said, some are helpful and give you a status update for the tube but not all.

Announcements don't really annoy me but I know some hate drivel.
Try Thameslink...they feel the need to repeat the entire calling list after every stop, which when you're at Brighton and the train is going all the way up to Bedford is increaddibly irritating. Plus whatever else GTR decide you urgently need to know that particular day!

People who ask you to move down the carriages! Just be English... tut and humph but never never never ask other passengers to move down the train.

Ken H

On Moderation
go to buy a ticket for a short journey. tells you the price. F**k me, how much.

£7.20 Giggleswick - Wennington single. Really?
14 miles. 2 stations with no facilities. a class 150 if lucky, pacer if not.

Because it is thoroughly awkward for everyone. The only way to mentally survive being in one of those sardine tin carriages with all the gross invasions of personal space is to dehumanise everyone else. The moment we start speaking to anyone that fiction is destroyed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because it is thoroughly awkward for everyone. The only way to mentally survive being in one of those sardine tin carriages with all the gross invasions of personal space is to dehumanise everyone else. The moment we start speaking to anyone that fiction is destroyed.

Better that more people can get on and be a bit awkward than leave people behind.

You wouldn't like me in that situation, I can get very forceful over it (in a verbal sense) - if there are more to get on it is downright rude not to make space for them if there is somewhere to move to.

In any case isn't "we're all in this together" a better mentality?

Meerkat

Established Member
What if they want to get off at the next stop?
They don’t want to be trapped in the middle.....

BJames

Established Member
I am definitely one who would tell people to move down the train.. I don't see why they shouldn't.. I think it's quite rude to be blocking people from standing on the train and especially if it means people get left behind at a station

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Nope, it's just being considerate to others by making room for more people to get on.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am definitely one who would tell people to move down the train.. I don't see why they shouldn't.. I think it's quite rude to be blocking people from standing on the train and especially if it means people get left behind at a station

I wholeheartedly agree. People who sit in aisle seats at busy times or who put bags on seats also annoy me. Most of the time they will only very begrudgingly move their bag or over into the window seat.

Saperstein

Another thing that is mildly annoying is beggars working the train.

Only had it once on an NR train bit heard stories from others in SWT land.

My train was a Southern 377, 8 car, into Victoria but it happened between East Croydon and Clapham Junction.

I wonder if he had a ticket?!

al78

Established Member

If people could be bothered to think, they would move down the train as a matter of logic, so wouldn't have to endure the terror of being called out.

Be thoughtful, then you won't get called out over being thoughtless. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.