• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most popular TOC/Depots for driving trains ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESONEULB

The grass might very well be greener. Two things you need to do in this industry:

1. keep a clean record (it follows you).

2. It’s a (very) small world. don’t be a bell end in the messroom, don’t p*ss people off, generally. Calls will go in. My current manager called two people at my last depot two ask what I was like (luckily two people I got on with - and I’m a fairly marmite character!).

I’ve been asked about two potential new joiners, where I am now, from my last depot. One of whom I gave the nod to, because he’s a decent lad, one of whom I didn’t. He was a knob when I worked with him before - no doubt he’d be the same if I worked with him again - so I’ll ensure I never have to.

His CV went straight into the bin.

Yes I've been in jobs were it is also a small world and everything follows you.. I totally understand what you are talking about.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
I think one appeal of intercity work is that metro work has quite a high rate of operational incidents I believe compared with other types of work. It's quite easy for metro drivers to become trapped by their records, so if someone has a clean licence, it can seem attractive to put in for intercity work before such a time as that option no longer exists due to an incident. Whilst it is, of course, entirely possible to have an incident during time working at an intercity TOC, you are already in the door and metro operators are more likely to take drivers with incidents should a move back be required.

DOO is a big factor too, much better to have someone else doing the doors.
Would you say someone of ten years say at an easier depot with a clean record who had been there since day one (or always worked at easy depots with a Guard and few stops) is less remarkable than a driver with ten years who also has a clean licence at an intense 100 stops a day DOO depot ?

Economist

Would you say someone of ten years say at an easier depot with a clean record who had been there since day one (or always worked at easy depots with a Guard and few stops) is less remarkable than a driver with ten years who also has a clean licence at an intense 100 stops a day DOO depot ?

Tricky to say since I don't work in recruitment, nonetheless I reckon that could be seen as the case. If a driver has been at a depot or type of work (e.g. suburban) which has a high incident rate and has themselves kept a clean licence then it might be viewed more favourably, especially if they have been there for a long time. I think that luck plays a part as well, I've known good drivers to be genuinely unlucky.

Nflkrail

This is a great thread, thank you!

Does anyone know the balance of work/pros and cons of work split between Penzance/Par/Plymouth and which one is best to try and apply for?

Than in advance

Hi could I ask what routes swr based at Yeovil junction do and what types of traction they drive. And generally what it is like to work for swr?

vikingdriver

Hi could I ask what routes swr based at Yeovil junction do and what types of traction they drive. And generally what it is like to work for swr?

Pretty sure it's Yeovil Jct to Exeter, London Waterloo, the link to Yeovil Pen Mill, Westbury to Weymouth and Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads.

Traction is 158 and 159.

Status
Not open for further replies.