• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail - Now recruiting for Trainee & Qualified Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andyg83

Unfortunately the holiday gets planned as to when they want it really. They won't tell you until a month before probably. It's just how they do it as there are so many training classes and it's hard to plan. You isually get a week off throughtout your training so If you start in September I would imagine your week off would be over Christmas.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello Andy...I take it you work for them?...from may onwards will it be a 4 day week? Or still 5/7. U qualified yet or still training? How's life @mtr

Cheers

I'm nearly at end of training. Weeks are made up of 3 4 or 5 day weeks. There are 2 times in a year u work 6 days but easiest way to look at it is we do 10 week periods so 70 days. We work 36 and have 34 off and with our 8 days ad hoc leave it basically means we work literally less than half the year.

gg02355

I only had my medical on the 30th of June and got the call to move my start date forward one week after that. Was told on the phone call they will be sending me out forms for reference / security checks etc, straight away.

Based on your answers I'll just have to wait and see when any holidays might be scheduled into the course.

Hammer4life

Drazky - it is 8 weeks on 2 weeks off, as andy said try to look at it as a 10 week period ??????

D1939

Do we have to be in training for a month before we get our 75% railway discount cards?
Thanks

Last edited:

andyg83

Oyster is a month. Private card is a bit after that. Private card is only the leisure one though. You have to apply for a work/resident one which can take another month

Nacho85

Hi everyone,

For people who are going theough the training now, How long is the initial training for? When are the salary increases? I heard anywhere between 6-9 months for the initial period then another 18 months till you hit 55k.

Can anyone shed some light? Just trying to start budgeting for family etc.

Thanks for everyones ongoing support. This forum is fantastic!

andyg83

Training is roughly 7 months and the salary is 27k then once you pass out it goes to 41k for 12 months then 55k. It totally depends how long it takes to get passed out as they are behind but around 7 to 8 months you will be on 27k.

sman101

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker thanks to all the helpful posters! lucky enough to be one of those starting training soon.

Contract came through last week and has a section to opt out of 'maximum weekly working time', not sure what to do here. Any advise will be appreciated.

D1939

Hello mate welcome to the boards, I'm starting the 5th September , I also recieved the contract, I've signed both parts, I doubt (hope) it will happen much but I guess it's good if you want overtime.
What dates did you do your assessment days?

Last edited:

sman101

Assessments were such a long time ago now I have forgotten the dates, last thing was medical which was on 30th June. Im hoping to start in Oct.

Hammer4life

If you sign the contract, you can work more than 48 hrs a week on average if asked.

Search for European Working Time Directive for more info

Last edited:

Redelephant19

Does anyone know at this early stage if overtime will be available and would it be frowned on if someone turned it down? I know some companies almost count on employees doing it.
I'm used to working shifts so I know how precious time off can be especially weekends!

andyg83

Does anyone know at this early stage if overtime will be available and would it be frowned on if someone turned it down? I know some companies almost count on employees doing it.
I'm used to working shifts so I know how precious time off can be especially weekends!

At the moment there is overtime as the depots have spare lines but as they are passing out ten people a month I imagine by Christmas there won't be much but you are not forced to do it

Redelephant19

Cheers for the reply, always nice to know that from time to time it's potentially available but also if you like your time off ( family,golf,football,pop,girlfriends )not in that order, your under no pressure.

Nacho85

Hi everyone,

For those who have signed their contracts and things, at what point did you receive it i.e how many months before the start date and was it before the medical?

Good luck to those going through their assessments!

Thanks

Hi,

The contracts came through about 1 month before start date, and after the medical and screening was complete

Hi everyone,

For those who have signed their contracts and things, at what point did you receive it i.e how many months before the start date and was it before the medical?

Good luck to those going through their assessments!

Thanks

Nacho85

Thanks for the reply.

Pretty quiet here these days. How are people getting on? Hows the training coming along for the new starters? Any highlights??

D1939

It's fantastic mate, a great company to work for, I feel very lucky to be part of it. 15000 people applied for the train driver job, 100 have been taken on.

Dscs

It's fantastic mate, a great company to work for, I feel very lucky to be part of it. 15000 people applied for the train driver job, 100 have been taken on.

That's fantastic knowing we have been picked from such a large amount of applications. D1939, how far are you into the training and how intense is it if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently waiting for my medical and can't wait to get on board!
Is anyone else here waiting for medical/start dates etc?

1986deano

That's fantastic knowing we have been picked from such a large amount of applications. D1939, how far are you into the training and how intense is it if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently waiting for my medical and can't wait to get on board!

I must be in one of the last starter groups don't start till may keep hoping il get a phone call off hr to bring me in earlier wishful thinking!!! Can't wait!! When do you start mate? All starters keep us all posted love hearing what you are up too gets me more excited to start :)

D1939

About to start my 4th week, there's a lot of information to take in, but it's all about how you apply yourself. Finished 'pts' now doing front end turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.