• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail - Now recruiting for Trainee & Qualified Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

Regarding what Lee Trains had said, unfortunately I think all interviews have an element of that in them. I did sit a manager's interview with MTR and didn't get it. After asking for feedback I was told I didn't know enough about the company, which was a bit odd considering I was able to discuss the following:

Key stations including all stations served by TfL Rail.
Current and future fleets including the number of trains in each.
Names and roles of all directors.
The main phases of the Crossrail project including timelines and cost.
The ownership of the concession and the difference between a concession and a franchise.
The four main values of MTR Crossrail.
The three main signalling systems which will be in use.

I verified and memorised this information before going in, the sources included the MTR Crossrail website and various industry publications.

So, I do think it is whether they like the cut of your jib, so to speak.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Economist

Yep, mentioned that they started off in Hong Kong as the Mass Transit Railway and was able to name the various metro systems they operate throughout the world, including their share in LOROL.

Economist

Not many comp questions at all, it was more about flexibility to do the role. The feedback was rather specific though.

At the end of the day, their loss but disappointing nonetheless.

Incidentally the best interview I ever had was at a software firm over two years ago. Firstly they gave us an aptitude test and said, "right you need 15/20 to pass and there is no negative marking". I was then interviewed by a manager who actually said, "these competency questions are a load of ****, have you ever heard of Deep Blue?" When I responded that it was the first computer to beat a chess grandmaster in a game (Gary Kasparov in fact), I was off to a good start.

Got offered it but ended up taking my current gig for various reasons, agonised over it for a good couple of days though.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Not many comp questions at all, it was more about flexibility to do the role. The feedback was rather specific though.

At the end of the day, their loss but disappointing nonetheless.

Incidentally the best interview I ever had was at a software firm over two years ago. Firstly they gave us an aptitude test and said, "right you need 15/20 to pass and there is no negative marking". I was then interviewed by a manager who actually said, "these competency questions are a load of ****, have you ever heard of Deep Blue?" When I responded that it was the first computer to beat a chess grandmaster in a game (Gary Kasparov in fact), I was off to a good start.

Got offered it but it would been paid a lot less than my current gig, actually a tough decision because the work was very interesting.

It does astound me how EVERY DM interview is different and it does making preparation more difficult than the MMI!

My freightliner interview was probably the easiest but I was a bag of nerves- shocked at the time I had past the MMI and with one day to prepare as I missed their call Friday and I couldn't get in contact with them again. Mind you they got my name wrong at the start whilst I almost sat on the wrong chair so not a good start.

Most the questions were of the 'how you stand out from the rest' sort

Personally I don't think comp questions should be asked surely that's what the MMI is for? My FGW was a grilling which I past but it was even more questions than the MMI literally loads! All done in the shed at the marsh :)

AGA on the other hand only asked four comp questions but they read out a summary of why they were asking each one beforehand

Last edited:

Lee Trains

ml... I was confident not over confident and to be working in a safety critical role I believe you need to show that confident ability. If you cant handle a few questions in an interview how will you be able to handle the pressures of being a train driver?

However this was probably the case and the reason they didn't offer me the position. I was told after chasing for feedback that I had given great answers except I "didn't know what a train driver does" This was laughable as when I answered that question in the interview they commented on how much detail I had given them.

Which TOC do you work for now?

lublin621

I went through the whole process with MTR but failed the final managers interview.
IT is highly based on if they like you or not.

I know 3 others who got the job and they messed up their questions but was overly humble and exaggerated how great the job was and it was the best job in the world in their eyes.

I was very confident in my interview abilities ( serveral years in recruitment training interviewees) but guess they didn't like my confident attitude. SO a bit of a heads up for you guys.
Good luck to you all

Unfortunately being very confident is just a step away from being arrogant. What for some is still high confidence for others is already arrogance. Hard to balance it, especially on an interview.

notadriver

Established Member
I went through the whole process with MTR but failed the final managers interview.

IT is highly based on if they like you or not.

I know 3 others who got the job and they messed up their questions but was overly humble and exaggerated how great the job was and it was the best job in the world in their eyes.

I was very confident in my interview abilities ( serveral years in recruitment training interviewees) but guess they didn't like my confident attitude. SO a bit of a heads up for you guys.

I have now secured a trainee role with another TOC and the interview was miles better and more personable.

Good luck to you all

What toc are you working for now ?

Economist

The above is why I'm not really a massive fan of job interviews, there are plenty of people who are great at the actual work, just not the interviews.

I've never really understood the whole competency-based stuff unless a psychologist is doing it. Given that I'm hopeless at blagging it I tell the truth regardless but some of the interview stories I've heard are beggars belief. The fact that a lot of the competencies are really specific despite the fact that companies never tell people what they are looking for gets me too. I do think it is sometimes luck of the draw dependant on the actual examples various people use on the day.

Some of the stuff I've heard interviewers say (when not interviewing) as well is dire, if someone walks the wrong way or has a too soft or too firm handshake then it's game over etc.

donpoku

The above is why I'm not really a massive fan of job interviews, there are plenty of people who are great at the actual work, just not the interviews.

I've never really understood the whole competency-based stuff unless a psychologist is doing it. Given that I'm hopeless at blagging it I tell the truth regardless but some of the interview stories I've heard are beggars belief. The fact that a lot of the competencies are really specific despite the fact that companies never tell people what they are looking for gets me too. I do think it is sometimes luck of the draw dependant on the actual examples various people use on the day.

Some of the stuff I've heard interviewers say (when not interviewing) as well is dire, if someone walks the wrong way or has a too soft or too firm handshake then it's game over etc.
I concur. Interviews these days are becoming more personal. That is it is becoming more of whether they like you as a person rather than your ability to do the job well.

EazyGuy

Just wondering if anybody who has been in training for a while can pass on some info?

I'd like to know how far into the training is the first time you have to report to Ilford rather than Liverpool Street, and how many pre-6AM starts there are in the first couple of months?

Thanks for any help.

Leebob34

Just wondering if anybody who has been in training for a while can pass on some info?

I'd like to know how far into the training is the first time you have to report to Ilford rather than Liverpool Street, and how many pre-6AM starts there are in the first couple of months?

Thanks for any help.

I'm not in training yet but was told the first 5/6 months are class room based at there HQ IN London

andycsk55

Based at Ilford Depot, apply online:

http://mtrcrossrail.co.uk/vacancies/

Hi

I've applied and I believe the intake is for the end of 2016, would anyone know what the training programme/schedule is for crossrail trainee drivers and when the graduated pay increases come into effect etc.....many thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Based at Ilford Depot, apply online:

http://mtrcrossrail.co.uk/vacancies/

I've applied for the trainee driver role for crossrail and I believe the intake is for the end of 2016, would anyone know what the training programme/schedule is for crossrail trainee drivers and when the graduated pay increases come into effect etc.....many thanks

Peps123

Regarding what Lee Trains had said, unfortunately I think all interviews have an element of that in them. I did sit a manager's interview with MTR and didn't get it. After asking for feedback I was told I didn't know enough about the company, which was a bit odd considering I was able to discuss the following:

Key stations including all stations served by TfL Rail.
Current and future fleets including the number of trains in each.
Names and roles of all directors.
The main phases of the Crossrail project including timelines and cost.
The ownership of the concession and the difference between a concession and a franchise.
The four main values of MTR Crossrail.
The three main signalling systems which will be in use.

I verified and memorised this information before going in, the sources included the MTR Crossrail website and various industry publications.

So, I do think it is whether they like the cut of your jib, so to speak

Yep, mentioned that they started off in Hong Kong as the Mass Transit Railway and was able to name the various metro systems they operate throughout the world, including their share in LOROL. .

Hello, passed assessment day 2 with MTR recently and have the DMI coming up. I was just wondering from the people who passed how much information is enough to know about MTR and crossrail. What more did you add that Economist may have missed out leading to him not knowing enough about the company.
Thanks

Leetw13

Hello everyone.
Has any done the stage one mtr questionnaire over the last couple of weeks and heard that the have progressed into stage 2/3.cheers

Peps123

Let me see...

For example you have to be able to name every single person who used so far the line between Liverpool street and Shenfield and of course to know every single line of the concession contract!!

LOL Peps, It's me Nick :)

WOW, every single person? that seems excessive :lol::roll:

Big dom

Does anyone know when or even if there maybe driver applications for shenfield

Jk576

Does anyone know when or even if there maybe driver applications for shenfield

Hi mate, they were recruiting last March for Shenfield /Ilford depo. Sorry I don't think they will be reopening that

Leetw13

Has anyone done the first online questionnaire this month and got an email from crossrail about the online tests that follow.I did the questionnaire about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing.
Cheers

Jk576

How about the abbey wood depot any info when they ll open this up?

Not sure, I think they are done at least till September as they are fully booked for training for the next year. They might reopen the east side of London after they train the next lot of driver

iWantIn

Not sure, I think they are done at least till September as they are fully booked for training for the next year. They might reopen the east side of London after they train the next lot of driver

How do you know they are fully booked for training for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.