• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail - Now recruiting for Trainee & Qualified Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think it is a pretty safe bet that at the moment the only route you will do is Shenfield - Liverpool Street!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Can anyone who's started the course give us a bit of insight on the course? How long is it? Wht routes will you be doing etc...

Thanks in advance

When I was at the assessment centre they had a display showing effectively a flowchart of the training programme, I'll see if I can find the photo I took of it. During my manager interview they told me training would be around 9 months long.

Talking of assessment centre, did anyone reading this have their second assessment centre on 17th August? There were only 6 of us there, all of whom got through - I'd love to think the other 5 also made it through their interview too.

mike14

I have the photo of the training program your talking about, I have tried to upload it. Not sure it has worked though. I had my 1st assessment day on 20th July and 2nd on 19th August.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 139

mike14

There was one guy on my 2nd assessment that done the 1st one on 20/7. Unfortunately he didn't pass the MMI. I had to change the date of my 2nd day as they gave me the date of my daughters birthday.

subforce

Hey guys, I'm new here.

Does anybody know if there is going to be another recruitment drive for this, or if they have now taken all that they need for the foreseeable future?

Thanks!

Leebob34

Welcome to the party pal.

Mtr will be recruiting again in October but will be for the reading depot ,

subforce

Thanks Leebob, do you know if that is going to be based at Old Oak Common?

I can get to Old Oak Common in 40 minutes but not sure about Reading!

Twedds74

I have spoken to hr very recently, and it's definitely old oak common. Keep your eyes on the recruitment page during October.

EazyGuy

Ah, I stand corrected then....Do you think those who have been recruited to ilford will have the chance to change depot or swap with someone down the line? I'd certainly prefer old oak common!

subforce

Thank you Twedds, and good luck to all those who go for it 8-)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah, I stand corrected then....Do you think those who have been recruited to ilford will have the chance to change depot or swap with someone down the line? I'd certainly prefer old oak common!

Yes I would have thought so, I'll swap with you as I would prefer Ilford :D

voldo

Hi guys, it seems MTR are recruiting for Qualified Train Drivers now for Ilford depot. Anyone know if they will be recruiting for new train drivers for Ilford?

Hammer4life

They were recruiting for Ilford earlier this year, they've recruited over 100 trainees. May be a while before they recruit for the depot again

subforce

They have opened up recruitment for trainees at Old Oak Common! Starting at the end of next year.

Greenyeti

Those that applied for Ilford, were they accepting applications from those willing to relocate or were you rejected at the initial sift?

barcode

Like Greenyeti I'm interested in working out whether TOCS ever accept applications for people willing to relocate. The job adverts are rarely clear cut - I've only seen a few where they've specifically said 'do not apply if you have to relocate'.

e.g. The Old Oak Common job advert requires you to be able to * Travel to our Old Oak Common Depot (NW10) within 40 minutes from your home address... which I would be able to do if I relocated. When going through to fill in the application form it specifically says "Can you travel to the advertised depot within 40 minutes?" Yes / No. Which you'd presumably have to select 'No' and therefore I'd imagine be sifted out...

voldo

Takes me nearly one hour to get to Old Oak Common according to google maps. Should I apply anyway and transfer to Ilford afterwards? I wear glasses as I am short sighted, does this affect the colour vision testing?

Msh

I hope you are well.

After reviewing your home address, it’s unfortunate that you are actually out of the 40 minutes driving distance of the Ilford and Gidea Park depots.

Due to your home location being nearer to our Old Oak Common depot (Willesden), we require you to move within a 40 minutes driving distance of that depot.

If you don’t move within a 40 minutes driving distance from one of the depots, it could result in us withdrawing our informal offer to you.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Just got this, spoke with them, and i will relocate closer to gidea park,before starting my training in may,on my inital application i said i am in the 40 min, thing is i specified that i am willing to relocate in the application and at my interview, now dilema is how do you decide the 40 minutes area? 40 minutes in the morning or in traffic time? Google map says 38 miles... 59 minutes, in day time garmin says 1 hour and 5 with live trafic, in the night time it says 51 minutes , actualy had to go there once and got in 46, not braking the speed limit :))) but i will still move, i was hoping to move after my training but i will speak with hr/managers about this when i go for medical,
About the short sighted, from what i know as long as glasses can corect your problem you should be ok... Use them during exam... Color blindness can t be corected and you can t get around that... Hope it helps

Hammer4life

Your eyesight is also tested without wearing your glasses too, eyesight has to meet a certain standard

infiltrator

Looking at applying for the latest vacancy - after passing all stages with Freightliner to be let down by the government and taxation on coal.

Anyway - does anybody have any idea how the stages work if you have already passed all the Psychometrics and MMI etc with a different company? Do you have to do them all again with MTR or if successful at initial stage do you jump a few stages? Its just I cant see the usual question about if you have already passed testing etc on this application as if it doesn't matter to them.

Many thanks in advance

387star

On Moderation
Looking at applying for the latest vacancy - after passing all stages with Freightliner to be let down by the government and taxation on coal.

Anyway - does anybody have any idea how the stages work if you have already passed all the Psychometrics and MMI etc with a different company? Do you have to do them all again with MTR or if successful at initial stage do you jump a few stages? Its just I cant see the usual question about if you have already passed testing etc on this application as if it doesn't matter to them.

Many thanks in advance

You will want top assessment scores if you don't meet their tough standards you will redo certain tests

Also they do the dfft, vse, sje (their own very long version) and otdpq as extras the vse is part of the application

Last edited:

infiltrator

You will want top assessment scores if you don't meet their tough standards you will redo certain tests

Also they do the dfft, vse, sje (their own very long version) and otdpq as extras the vse is part of the application

Thanks for that - thought I had just scraped through anyway, so no doubt would have to do them all again.

Out of interest then - so I have 'passed' now, on the basis that you can only fail twice, how does it work if I was to fail these set of tests with MTR? is my pass disregarded?

- it would make sense for people to 'not apply' with MTR on the basis that there is more chance of them never being able to be a train driver - as the tests are harder / higher pass marks, so more chance of failing twice....does that make sense?

Am apprehensive about throwing away my pass....

387star

On Moderation
Thanks for that - thought I had just scraped through anyway, so no doubt would have to do them all again.

Out of interest then - so I have 'passed' now, on the basis that you can only fail twice, how does it work if I was to fail these set of tests with MTR? is my pass disregarded?

- it would make sense for people to 'not apply' with MTR on the basis that there is more chance of them never being able to be a train driver - as the tests are harder / higher pass marks, so more chance of failing twice....does that make sense?

Am apprehensive about throwing away my pass....

Two attempts and out only applies to the national pAss which you hAve but yes a retake and absolute fail would cost you a life

You can still pass to the national level with mtr and that won't cost you a life just a job with mtr

yerman164

Many thanks in advance

Have you received any recent communication about the Freightliner positions?

I've not been told a final decision yet.

infiltrator

Two attempts and out only applies to the national pAss which you hAve but yes a retake and absolute fail would cost you a life

You can still pass to the national level with mtr and that won't cost you a life just a job with mtr

Thanks for that - makes sense.

What if I got really high marks already - above and beyond what MTR expect? do you still have to redo? or is it just the tests that are unique to MTR.

Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have you received any recent communication about the Freightliner positions?

I've not been told a final decision yet.

Sorry for the confusion - no, I haven't heard anything since the last update, so like everybody else am still 'hanging' wondering if A - I passed the final interview, and B - if the course / position even exists anymore.

I am presuming that the position/s no longer exist. Reading about it from people who are in the industry and there isn't enough work for the current qualified drivers - so there would be no way on earth they are going to train and recruit us lot!

The only way - that I can see - that it will go ahead, is if they are aware of some massive contracts coming up in the near future.....and even then, it will be put back at least 12 months. :/

yerman164

Sorry for the confusion - no, I haven't heard anything since the last update, so like everybody else am still 'hanging' wondering if A - I passed the final interview, and B - if the course / position even exists anymore.

I am presuming that the position/s no longer exist. Reading about it from people who are in the industry and there isn't enough work for the current qualified drivers - so there would be no way on earth they are going to train and recruit us lot!

The only way - that I can see - that it will go ahead, is if they are aware of some massive contracts coming up in the near future.....and even then, it will be put back at least 12 months. :/

Thanks, it seems like we are in a similar position waiting for an update. I won't derail this thread any more talking about Freightliner!

Status
Not open for further replies.