• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail - Now recruiting for Trainee & Qualified Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glasses84

Has anyone had there telephone interview I have passed my tests and now have the phone interview just wondering on the sort of questions they ask

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sbarfoot

Passed the telephone interview, had to wait several days to hear back from them as they were checking my previous scores for the tests at the next stage, my email reply says I will sit the
The Situational Judgement Test (SJT)
The OTDPQ online questionnaire

By mentioning them tests specifically does it mean I will only sit them ones and not the rest? My test is on the 13th of April. Look forward to meeting you guys and girls down there.

Lee.G.

Hi everyone, new here, got my email today saying I'd passed stage 3 and have my telephone interview in 2 weeks. Came here looking for tips on the phone interview but it sound like a basic Q & A on what you know about Crossrail, the Company and the job.
Not looking forward to the rounds of tests should I pass the phone interview :|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any one have any ideas where I can get some of the tests, like the group bourdon test but for a Mac instead on windows.
I passed a few of these tests when I applied for a role with East Midlands a few years back, are these results held on a central database somewhere ?

Mariusz81nr

Hi all,
I am just registered myself on this forum. Just finished stage 3 and hopefully I will have my telephone interview next. In SJT I have 25 questions and 70 min to answer. In VMT there was no boxes or letters like in sample material. Instead there was a circle o loops and one loop will be in blue colour going around. Your job is to click with the mouse when the loop that's is going in the circle changes the colour or miss a loop. I bough a computer mouse today and thanks Good I did it otherwise I would not make it. Good luck all

bilzy

Hi Ladies & Gents,

I've got my mouse and will do the stage 3 later tonight. I hope I pass and get through to the next stage. Good luck to all in advance.

bilzy

It was semilar concept to the practice they sent me but a whole new challenge. By practising it helps with identifying the errors quicker.

The SJT was 70 minutes long to answer 25 questions. There answers to this test is subjective and it all depends on the kind of personalities they are looking to employ.

The VSE Test is split into three sections.

1, you have a track with white dots and a blue dot goes around the track in clockwise touching each white dot. When you see the dot change from blue to purple you hit error button. When you see blue dot miss a white dot you hit error button and/or when you see any thing out of sequence you hit the error button. (I found this the easiest).

2, This is almost identical to the practise but instead of letters they have replaced them with shapes. you click "yes" for error or "no"-no error.

3, is section 1 and 2 at the same time. (this is tricky).

Can someone tell me how soon to hear back with a response?

Good Luck Everyone! Hope to see you at he assessment.

Mariusz81nr

Just received email informing me that I was successfully on stage 3. Telephone interview on 29 April 2015. So happy :):):)

Smallskis

Hi all I have done all personal details, do you need to do a cover letter as asked and if so does anybody have any tips or are they just looking for people to mention safety, customer service etc. I just want to get through the initial stage.

Thanks

1000 rounders

Hi all I have done all personal details, do you need to do a cover letter as asked and if so does anybody have any tips or are they just looking for people to mention safety, customer service etc. I just want to get through the initial stage.

Thanks

Yeah, always try and attach a covering letter. It's your one opportunity to sell yourself outside the interview.

Try to promote your ability to deal with safety related problems, that you may encounter in your current job, or or the ability to handle the lifestyle (I.e. Ability to work shift patterns, your concentration skills, how well you can follow rules and regulations etc.)

With MTR they are DOO (driver only operated), so customer service will be extremely high on their list as well, because you will be the face of the company so to speak.

I am a qualified driver with another TOC, and have just received and signed my job offer sheet:D to work for MTR!
So after going through the process, I wish you every success.

EazyGuy

Yeah, always try and attach a covering letter. It's your one opportunity to sell yourself outside the interview.

Try to promote your ability to deal with safety related problems, that you may encounter in your current job, or or the ability to handle the lifestyle (I.e. Ability to work shift patterns, your concentration skills, how well you can follow rules and regulations etc.)

With MTR they are DOO (driver only operated), so customer service will be extremely high on their list as well, because you will be the face of the company so to speak.

I am a qualified driver with another TOC, and have just received and signed my job offer sheet:D to work for MTR!
So after going through the process, I wish you every success.

Congrats! What made you want to make the switch? Was it just an interview for you?

1000 rounders

Congrats! What made you want to make the switch? Was it just an interview for you?

Thank you!

For me it was a combination of being there from the start of this Crossrail journey, as it will provide a unique insight into the company, from the new traction, to the route learning as each part opens. To the routes destinations ,as well as the money (my current TOC is in the bottom three in London, with no hope climbing my higher)

It was application, then the computer test, then interview ( they changed the interviewers, and I got interviewed by the head of the company! He is the one currently handling the switch from Anglia to Crossrail), after that it is the transfer of safety information. When that is all done, you get your job offer subject to passing your medical. Exciting times ahead!

Smallskis

Thanks, I will write my covering letter later I am also trying to get some tips from my sister she was a roster clerk for anglia and is now working for MTR after being head hunted.

EazyGuy

Thank you!

For me it was a combination of being there from the start of this Crossrail journey, as it will provide a unique insight into the company, from the new traction, to the route learning as each part opens. To the routes destinations ,as well as the money (my current TOC is in the bottom three in London, with no hope climbing my higher)

It was application, then the computer test, then interview ( they changed the interviewers, and I got interviewed by the head of the company! He is the one currently handling the switch from Anglia to Crossrail), after that it is the transfer of safety information. When that is all done, you get your job offer subject to passing your medical. Exciting times ahead!

Fantastic! Hope to be joining you as a trainee in the not too distant future, currently in the middle of the rather long 9 stage application :)

theironroad

Established Member
@1000rounders. Seems I can't PM you, but was wondering what depot/ toc u are currently and whether route variety was something that affected your decision to move.

1000 rounders

@1000rounders. Seems I can't PM you, but was wondering what depot/ toc u are currently and whether route variety was something that affected your decision to move.

I am at SWT.

Currently our depot is second in terms of route knowledge overall, and first in terms of route knowledge when you pass out.

So I do know a lot of routes, so it is not terms of variety I am moving, but maybe terms of learning new routes, traction, AC instead of DC lines etc.

So while death by weybridge and shepperton are awful, the reality is for the next two years, it will be Liverpool street to Shenfield :|

It is more what comes after that. Plus from 2017 their new 345 train roll out so in no time we will be learning that traction and getting ready for the opening.

theking

I am at SWT.

Currently our depot is second in terms of route knowledge overall, and first in terms of route knowledge when you pass out.

So I do know a lot of routes, so it is not terms of variety I am moving, but maybe terms of learning new routes, traction, AC instead of DC lines etc.

So while death by weybridge and shepperton are awful, the reality is for the next two years, it will be Liverpool street to Shenfield :|

It is more what comes after that. Plus from 2017 their new 345 train roll out so in no time we will be learning that traction and getting ready for the opening.

Congratulations what was the interview like? How where the questions was it company/personal or scenario based?

Treadstone

To complete it I think it's an hour but it shouldn't take you that long.

There didn't appear to be any time limit on stage 2 I took it last night not heard back yet though, said something about 2-3 hours as it was an opc link I'm sure, the email mentioning 30 minutes is not accurate imo:|it took me an hour and I maybe went to fast if anything.

Did anyone else fall into the trap of putting rules and procedures, safety, concentration as the main priorities, then getting stumped by the customer service stuff and customers needing guiding around or whatver, I put those as non priorities since my thinking was the driver should be concentrating on his task in hand etc, normally on a train the driver would only interact with customers via the tannoy to announce unusual situations, ie bridge strike holding up the train or whatever, if anything a lot of announcements are automated via computer. Anyone have any thoughts?

hopefully I didn't come across as someone who didn't care about customers or suchlike. Think one was drivers personal equipment, was that a trap basically saying mobile phones iPads or whatever, are drivers issued equipment to take onboard it's the case in my current non rail job anyway, maybe am over thinking it I dunno

Wheeler100

Hey, I have just done stage three, two days ago how long before you know if you have passed or failed. Also I have already completed my driver assessment tests with southern rail last week, I guess I won't need to do these again if I get through?? They mentioned they stay on your file for 5 years

1000 rounders

Congratulations what was the interview like? How where the questions was it company/personal or scenario based?

The interview normally comprises of driver managers, sometimes other managers may be present.

I was scheduled to have a driver manager and someone who was head of drivers at lorol supposedly.

In the end it was the head of operations who stood in! He and another head of, both took my interview. So as you can imagine, it was a bit serious, but me being me, I will always try to lighten the mood:D

Questions were mixed they included;

• What do you know about MTR Crossrail
    What is the difference between a franchise and a concession
    What I can bring to the company
    Why are you leaving your current TOC to join us
    Say something that your current employer does well
    Name a time I had to follow rules
    Name a time I had to go against an order from my manager
    Name an occasion I had provided excellent customer service
    Where do I see myself with MTR Crossrail, and my future ambitions etc

Standard questions that get asked at most interviews. Just go in and do not get nervous and you are fine.

InMotion

Hey, I have just done stage three, two days ago how long before you know if you have passed or failed. Also I have already completed my driver assessment tests with southern rail last week, I guess I won't need to do these again if I get through?? They mentioned they stay on your file for 5 years

They got back in 24 hrs.

Crossrail have a high pass mark so if you meet their standard then you don't have to sit it again.

Don't know if you can sit it twice in 6 months even if you passed it the first time round...

kev1973

Hi All. Could I please ask some advice. I've been invited for a trainee train driver assessment with Crossrail and yesterday I was invited for an assessment with GTR. Am I right in saying that I can only attend one of the assessments due to the 6 month rule? Could anyone recommend which one to go for. I live about the same distance from both depots. I understand that the Crossrail salary is higher than GTR but was wondering how working conditions vary. Are the chances of getting each job about equal (I heard that Crossrail need about 400 drivers)? Thanks.

theking

Yes you can only attend one of them.

If i was you I'd attend the one that is soonest because then you can just tell the other toc that you've recently passed with another toc and as long as your pass mark meets the standard they'll just move you along the application process.

No point in chucking gtr application away just because mtr need 300 drivers doesn't mean you won't get gtr.

Anyone got an assesment for MTR? What dates do you have?

Lee.G.

So I've got my phone interview tomorrow.

Anyone had their's yet ?

What sort of stuff is covered. Is it the usual 'Give an example when....." or is it more what you know about Crossrail and why you want to join and what you can bring to the job ?

Thanks and good luck to all :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So I've got my phone interview tomorrow.

Anyone had their's yet ?

What sort of stuff is covered. Is it the usual 'Give an example when....." or is it more what you know about Crossrail and why you want to join and what you can bring to the job ?

Thanks and good luck to all :D

Well it was short and sweet, 3 key questions and further questioning on the answers given.
Just wish it had been a 1-2-1 instead of phone

Bearskills

Hi everyone, new to this forum,
I to applied for the MTR trainee driver, sent in application on 6th March, received email to "stage 2" OPC questions. Completed and sent back on the 11/3/15. Had email to confirm.
I have not heard anything since :(
Not sure if best thing or not but emailed today asking for further information.
Anyone else had the same?

gurp

I have applied for the Trainee Driver for MTR and have done stage 1 and stage 2 but havent heard anything from them. Its has been 3 days since I have done my stage 2
any suggestions frds

EazyGuy

I see they have now moved the closing date for applications to June instead of September or whatever it was.

Lee.G.

I have applied for the Trainee Driver for MTR and have done stage 1 and stage 2 but havent heard anything from them. Its has been 3 days since I have done my stage 2
any suggestions frds

They don't rush themselves. It took two weeks for me to hear from them after I did stage 3

Status
Not open for further replies.