• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Train Driver Old Oak Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leebob34

Hi leebob your replies have been quite helpful I must say!, in regards to the 40 minute rule, i take it that can include you driving to the depot? On google maps it says I'm 30 minute drive away and slightly more if I use the motorway, I guess this is ok, although I am willing to re locate if need be, also to pick your brains how difficult was the group Bourdon test and the interview(s) afterwards?

Your welcome ,I'm fortunate enough to to have secured a place and know what it's like going through the while process .patience is the key ,your spend alot of weeks ,months waiting for emails,assessment days ,interviews etc but it's all worth it in the end, i applied back back in February for ilford depot and got astart date of feb 2016 so it will be a whole year from start to start .
With regards to the 40 minute rule ,aslong as you can get to work within set time you should be fine ,it's all about be able to get home safely after a full day concentrating etc as your mind will be tired therefore safety is key,especially after pulling a evening/late shift you will be very tired ! Tbh you have answered you own question ,you live 30 minutrs away so should be fine ,I will say though that these are what I'm led to believe and that im not from HR so don't take what I say as gospel .
I found the GBT test quite easy to be honest but I had done my homework and practised with the materials provided .its very much about accuracy over speed ,, no one will get to bottom of each page ,there isn't enough time so just get it right .theres 4/5 diffrent blocks of dots you do within certain time ,practise the materials and you should be fine as you will start to see patterns emerging ,well I did and the test became easier ,you will do this test first and just to show how many people fail this ,we had 29 peaople to start with and after this was down to 5 ! people chose speed over accuracy ,you go quick you make mistakes ,having said that you do need to go quickly but accuratly.
Interviews are can't really help you with as the MMI is about YOUR life experiences really and if you got certain types of experience dealing with situations etc and the mangers interview is again more questions and seeing if you have done your homework about the company ,goodluck and just spend as much time going over the materials and you should be fine ,o And one more thing wear a suit ,it's an interview after all for a job that pays £55k!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Redelephant19

What a great bit of advice leebob I think jimbo 89 will owe you a drink if he makes it. I've made it to an assessment day in January. Do you think the practice material is similar enough to the actual questions? I hope they don't test for caffeine that morning!

mike14

I found the GBT easy enough out of 25 in my group 10 failed it by either going too slow and getting enough right or going to fast and missing the group of 4 dots. It's all about speed AND accuracy so you need a good balance of the two. I'm not going to lie, I didn't spend a lot of time on the practise material. I did all the tests in there a couple of times the week before my assessment day. The practise material is similar but I found the actual tests go into a lot more detail.

The first interview (MMI) is all about YOU and YOUR experiences. They ask things like have you ever been in an emergency situation? Can you recall a time you worked as part of a team? There are about 6 questions and You give them a brief explanation in the morning and then they talk to you about your answers in detail in the afternoon. They are not there to catch you out, it did seem to me she was trying to word her questions to get me to say what she needed to hear. The DMI was with 2 area managers and they just wanted to know about me, why I wanted to be a train driver and what I knew about MTR and the Crossrail project. In my opinion the MMI was a lot harder than the DMI.

Good luck to everyone!

Leebob34

What a great bit of advice leebob I think jimbo 89 will owe you a drink if he makes it. I've made it to an assessment day in January. Do you think the practice material is similar enough to the actual questions? I hope they don't test for caffeine that morning!

Here to help bud,the practise material you get sent is very similar although some tests you cant practise for and I think these are outlined in your practise materials ,the practise stuff is really to give you some idea of what to expect when you take the test but you do also get to ask questions before you start the test so make good use of this ,I asked questions especially on the DFFT test as at first I didn't understand hiw the example answer came to be ,I was dumb struck ,so made sure I asked the questions and although every one else was sitting there all quietly ,I was looking out for me and this job and tbh everyone else would of appreciated it anyway . It's difficult to say because everyone has a diffrent opinion on the materials but I practised them all ALOT ,I know people say you either have it or you don't but I don't really agree otherwise you wouldn't get sent them in the first place, and again I didn't want to leave anything unturned ,and now I got a postion so each to there own .caffiene ? The first thing I did when I got there was to make a cup of coffee , anyway best of luck mate ,but remember to bring your A GAME

Shylem

I did not have to wait long for a response after handing in my support letter. I then only had to wait 4 working days before I found out that I have been successful. First online test which involves the
Magnificent 7 - Situational Judgement Test (M7-SJT)
Visual Search Exercise (VSE).

I am a bundle of nerves here. Good luck !!!

I start in February .

Leebob34

Hi Leebob 34

Can you tell us something more about Glob test and especially DFFT?
For example on practice material you have Identifying a fault box and a technical information box. After finding a fault with those two you go to fault Finder guide to see which code to write in answer ****.How is the real one?
GBT we know there are 5 sheets. Are they A4 size and how many lines approximately?
We all be very grateful for some more inside information...
Thank you in advance!

The glop test is a case of reading a page of information then answering questions about it afterwards.so be able to read and remember information is key here ,the DFFT has its own thread on here ,just try and find it as it has a wealth of information on there .i wouldn't even be worried about how many lines there are or the size of the sheets ,just concentrate on getting it right ,

manny86

Confused about assessment!!

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get into trainee train driver jobs for ages. And finally i have been successful with two companies at the same time.

Now i have been asked by one train company to come and attend a assessment day(LOROL) and the other one has asked me to do it online(MTR crossrail).

My worry is, can i try for both the companies at the same time????

Please help!!!

Thank you.

Manny.

Redelephant19

Not sure if it's been covered on a thread already but can anyone tell us if the group bourdon test for cross rail is paper based or on a computer? Really appreciate everyone's help as this forum has helped immensely

EazyGuy

Paper...Personally I purchased a book with lots of these style tests in, it served me very well and on the day found the test relatively straight forward. I wouldn't recommend practicing exclusively on computer and then turning up on the day without having done any practice on paper, this may throw you off your game.

Last edited:

Redelephant19

Thanks for the advice easyguy how far along are you in the process? Time to look on Amazon for some books.

jimbo89

Your welcome ,I'm fortunate enough to to have secured a place and know what it's like going through the while process .patience is the key ,your spend alot of weeks ,months waiting for emails,assessment days ,interviews etc but it's all worth it in the end, i applied back back in February for ilford depot and got astart date of feb 2016 so it will be a whole year from start to start .
With regards to the 40 minute rule ,aslong as you can get to work within set time you should be fine ,it's all about be able to get home safely after a full day concentrating etc as your mind will be tired therefore safety is key,especially after pulling a evening/late shift you will be very tired ! Tbh you have answered you own question ,you live 30 minutrs away so should be fine ,I will say though that these are what I'm led to believe and that im not from HR so don't take what I say as gospel .
I found the GBT test quite easy to be honest but I had done my homework and practised with the materials provided .its very much about accuracy over speed ,, no one will get to bottom of each page ,there isn't enough time so just get it right .theres 4/5 diffrent blocks of dots you do within certain time ,practise the materials and you should be fine as you will start to see patterns emerging ,well I did and the test became easier ,you will do this test first and just to show how many people fail this ,we had 29 peaople to start with and after this was down to 5 ! people chose speed over accuracy ,you go quick you make mistakes ,having said that you do need to go quickly but accuratly.
Interviews are can't really help you with as the MMI is about YOUR life experiences really and if you got certain types of experience dealing with situations etc and the mangers interview is again more questions and seeing if you have done your homework about the company ,goodluck and just spend as much time going over the materials and you should be fine ,o And one more thing wear a suit ,it's an interview after all for a job that pays £55k!

leebob34 This has been seriously helpful, thanks for going into so much detail after all theres alot of applicants so need to make sure every post is covered! i will definately be buying you a beer if i get through no doubt we will cross paths if i do!! again congratulations, will probably be picking your brains again in the near future!!!

all the best

Cathabd

Hi,
I need some help with the VSE practice. On task 3, it says you have 4 seconds for what? Thanks

Leebob34

leebob34 This has been seriously helpful, thanks for going into so much detail after all theres alot of applicants so need to make sure every post is covered! i will definately be buying you a beer if i get through no doubt we will cross paths if i do!! again congratulations, will probably be picking your brains again in the near future!!!

all the best

Your welcome buddy ,good luck when is your assessment day

donpoku

Hi,
I need some help with the VSE practice. On task 3, it says you have 4 seconds for what? Thanks
This is part three of the vse where you SIMULTANEOUSLY check for errors on the primary task(track dot) and secondary task (letters & shapes). It's roughly 4 seconds for a dot/pattern check. But my advice to you is practice, practice and practice, and use a mouse.

Cathabd

This is part three of the vse where you SIMULTANEOUSLY check for errors on the primary task(track dot) and secondary task (letters & shapes). It's roughly 4 seconds for a dot/pattern check. But my advice to you is practice, practice and practice, and use a mouse.

Thank you. Will do.

Amoaz6

If I was to apply and not get through to the assessment stage because I don't live within 40 mins of the depot, does anyone know if I would still need to wait 6 months before apply for any TOC and will it count towards my 2 strike allowance?

donpoku

If I was to apply and not get through to the assessment stage because I don't live within 40 mins of the depot, does anyone know if I would still need to wait 6 months before apply for any TOC and will it count towards my 2 strike allowance?
Only 6 month wait with MTR so you can apply to other TOC ... No strike as that is assessment tests.

D1939

If you don't make it, it won't be because of the '40 mins' rule.

Shati

After doing online questions i have been invited to assessment center 27th jan 2016.
Has anyone else gone through assessment center before?

scabek

Got through to Assessment centre, on 25 Jan 2016, looking forward to it. I was dead certained I had failed the VSE test as I remember making numerous mistakes in part 3. Today early in the morning I got this email saying I have been successful and been invited for further tests, I am completely over the moon, and will be doing lots of dots and the rest. Good luck everyone
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is 2 assessment days ,the first one is all paper tests and the second day is all the computer based tests..if you try and reschedule you will no doubt get put to the back of the que

Could you please tell us how long did you have to wait for the 2nd assessment day after you passed the 1st one? Thanks

dinino345

So after the first assessment there is a second?

I too am very happy to have been invited to the assessment day on the 28th January. though I was sure my results in the VSE test were average at best. I will be revising and gathering as much information as possible to prep for the big day!

Shylem

Congrats. I did my online assessment and felt the same way about the 3rd test,fingers crossed I made it through to the test centre

Nacho85

Hello all, just a quick question. With the dfft, do they provide you with that fault finder sheet that explains how to find the code or are you expected to memorise it? How different is the real test compared to the practice materials?? Thanks!

Fricker89

Got email today saying I've passed stage 3! Bring on the assessment centre!! Feb 3rd!:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.