• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR now recruiting for old oak common (London) courses from early 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar

VSE is not difficult but don't be fooled by stage 1 and 2. On the third stage be prepared for things to happen fast and unexpectedly. More errors do occur and some you may have not seen in stage 1.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hello Termak

Is the test similar to the practice material they provide?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Termak

Hello Termak

Not sure about the practice provided, never looked at it. Maybe someone can answer that. However, the practice that you do on screen, before the test is exactly what you'll be doing.

iWantIn

I was told that after training you go in a reduced rate of pay for 1 year. Then it goes up to the full wack after that year.

So for example. whilst training you might be on 27k, then when you finish training, for a year you'll be on 44k, then after that year is finished you go on 57k. Is there any truth in this?

Thanks in advnace

Tron81

Not sure about the practice provided, never looked at it. Maybe someone can answer that. However, the practice that you do on screen, before the test is exactly what you'll be doing.

Are you talking about the online stage 2 tests.. VSE + SJT or are you talking about stage 3 assessment at a center?

Tron81

Hello Termak

Termak was right and referring to stage 2. Intense is an understatement. Good luck to those taking stage 2

NickR

I was told that after training you go in a reduced rate of pay for 1 year. Then it goes up to the full wack after that year.

So for example. whilst training you might be on 27k, then when you finish training, for a year you'll be on 44k, then after that year is finished you go on 57k. Is there any truth in this?

Thanks in advnace

Yep that's exactly what they told me in my DMI. Think it was roughly 41k then a years 'probation' where you are measured on the usual things (punctuality, attendance, performance etc) then up to 55k.

Although this is for the Plumstead depot where I start next January which was advertised with the lower salary. So 44k is roughly correct.

ItchyRsole

Just done the 2 online tests.

Very tough.

The questions in the second test were very hard as all answers are very similar and you just don't know what they're looking for. Even if you try and translate them into a railway / safety scenario they were tough to call.

Came out of it thinking I done ok but not ok enough. I'll wait for the next email and see what they say.

Tron81

Just done the 2 online tests.

Very tough.

The questions in the second test were very hard as all answers are very similar and you just don't know what they're looking for. Even if you try and translate them into a railway / safety scenario they were tough to call.

Came out of it thinking I done ok but not ok enough. I'll wait for the next email and see what they say.

True... I ran out of time but got most of them answered. How do you feel you did on the 3rd test with the combined VSE?

R9mmel

VSE definitely caught me off guard lol. The 3rd test didn't have a practice session which threw me all the way off

ItchyRsole

True... I ran out of time but got most of them answered. How do you feel you did on the 3rd test with the combined VSE?

Actually felt I did ok on that. Definitely got 3 wrong on part 3. Frustratingly I said to myself on one of them no error then pressed the yes to an error. Very annoying but there was so much going on. Soon as it started on the 3 symbols it seemed to go on forever.

PhoenixBC

Not received a reply yet about assessment centre, but I agree with the intensity of part 3 of vse. I made some mistakes, a handful I think, and a couple were in error on my part by clicking incorrectly on yes or no when I knew the correct answer. Just a case of wait and see if it was good enough, but I have my doubts.

The SJT I did all in 65 mins and wasn't too bad, but I agree, tricky in that they are difficult to relate to what they are looking for but I just answered them honestly and cracked on with it without wasting any time.

Good luck all and keep us all updated on your progress either way.:D

Sotac464

Not received a reply yet about assessment centre, but I agree with the intensity of part 3 of vse. I made some mistakes, a handful I think, and a couple were in error on my part by clicking incorrectly on yes or no when I knew the correct answer. Just a case of wait and see if it was good enough, but I have my doubts.

The SJT I did all in 65 mins and wasn't too bad, but I agree, tricky in that they are difficult to relate to what they are looking for but I just answered them honestly and cracked on with it without wasting any time.

Good luck all and keep us all updated on your progress either way.:D

I made a few mistakes when I done my online assessments and still passed. There will be a certain level you have to pass, but I thought I'd mucked mine up and was kicking myself.

I've now got my dmi interview in 2 weeks, so good luck if you get invited to the assessment day's.

I made a few mistakes when I done my online assessments and still passed. There will be a certain level you have to pass, but I thought I'd mucked mine up and was kicking myself.

I've now got my dmi interview in 2 weeks, so good luck if you get invited to the assessment day's.

Well done and good luck luck to you mate.

In regards to the test I think I have done pretty well VSE and the SJT it's honestly very personal.

This is my first application with MTR and as train driver in general, and looks slightly longer than any other TOC but let's wait and see.

ItchyRsole

Quick question I'm hoping someone could answer.

What happens if an applicant was successful but decided to not take the job for whatever reason. Do your results stay on some kind of record that could be used for other TOCS if a driving job came up in the future, and how does it work, do you go straight to interview?

Thanks.

Omar

Just done stage 2, only completed SJT part. They actually give 70 mins for 25 questions, was very similar to the practice question they provided. I think its was pretty different from the SJT in the stage 1 questionaire. The stage 1 questions where more related to train drivers, and options seemed more obvious than stage 2 SJT IMO.

Planing to do VSE later on today.Would appreciate any info, advice or tips. How similar is it to the practice material they provide?

Last edited:

Tron81

Just done stage 2, only completed SJT part. They actually give 70 mins for 25 questions, was very similar to the practice question they provided. I think its was pretty different from the SJT in the stage 1 questionaire. The stage 1 questions where more related to train drivers, and options seemed more obvious than stage 2 SJT IMO.

Planing to do VSE later on today.Would appreciate any info, advice or tips. How similar is it to the practice material they provide?

For the VSE, the principle is the same but it''s more advanced. Like it was stated earlier, for the last bit. Be prepared for things to happen quick.

Omar

For the VSE, the principle is the same but it''s more advanced. Like it was stated earlier, for the last bit. Be prepared for things to happen quick.

Thanks for the advice. Will brace myself for the last part.

Samoose25

Just done the stage 2 VSE and SJT. That was hard, made many errors in part 3. Not hopefully of getting pass this stage.

Omar

Just done the stage 2 VSE and SJT. That was hard, made many errors in part 3. Not hopefully of getting pass this stage.

Just done the VSE. I agree part 3 is very difficult. Requires you be very focused and calm. Hopefully you done better than you think mate. Be positive.

ItchyRsole

Just got the email.

Surprisingly I passed the online tests & have been invited to the class assessments on 30th June.

MTR seem to be moving very quickly. Good luck to you all guys.

Omar

Just got the email.

Surprisingly I passed the online tests & have been invited to the class assessments on 30th June.

MTR seem to be moving very quickly. Good luck to you all guys.

Hello, When did you complete the stage 2 tests?

BTW Wish you all the best for your stage 3 tests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.