• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multi-modal (criteria based) interview - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultra4

The MMI is one on one, just you and the Psychologist doing the interview, and lasts up to an hour and a half.

The actual questions asked cover the areas outlined in the questionnaire, but are also determined by your results on the Situational Judgement Exercise, so it's not as simple as going "These are the questions you'll be asked" as each interview will progress in different ways.

The main things you're scored on appear to be communication, how you handle pressure, your attitude towards following rules, repetitive tasks, working alone, training, and thinking on your feet.

Should you fail and approach the assessors for feedback, they can only tell you which area(s) you failed on, rather than specifics.

Thanks buddy.
Did you find out your about your areas of weakness?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks for clarification. I thought there would be an interviewing panel rather than one person.
Do you think she takes candidate's appearance into account
or is that the case during DM interview?
I hesitate whether to cut the hair and get rid of my beard already or wait until Stage 2 is over. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I didn't bother asking for feedback as my MMI was an unmitigated disaster and I know I managed to talk myself out of it.

As has been said in other threads, appearance does matter, so definitely tidy hair and beard, and turn up suited and booted.

benno79

I called for feedback on mine and was told they would ring me back but might not be until next week. I wasn't overly confident with mine, I remember thinking afterwards that I probably should have said this rather than that but would like to know which area(s) I've failed on so I can be better prepared should I get another opportunity.

Are you going to apply again in six months CyrusWuff?

ultra4

Did you guys get an impression of fairness?
With just one person interviewing and interpreting your answers and then having a final and only decision on whether to pass/fail the candidate, there is a wide field of subjectiveness.
Also did they offer you any options of appealing from the decision? Should you think you had done well.

benno79

I guess it is subjective but everyone is in the same boat and gets the same opportunity to give the psychologist what they are looking for in their answers. I understand there is a strict marking criteria and if there is something they want that you don't give you will lose marks.
If I am completely honest I didn't come out of the interview thinking I had nailed it, I know its natural to think I wish I had said this or that, I wish I hadn't said that but some things stuck in my mind which I thought would probably cost me a good pass.
Looking back I was given at least two opportunities to give the correct answer on some occasions and clearly didn't take it. I believe I was given all the help that I could be to say the right things but I didn't take the opportunity.
For the first time ever I don't think I was nervous in an interview but it wasn't enough to help.
I don't yet know if I failed the mmi or got the dreaded border line pass as I am yet to get feedback.

I'm not sure you can appeal and I guess once I get the feedback it will confirm my suspicions anyway.

ultra4

I guess it is subjective but everyone is in the same boat and gets the same opportunity to give the psychologist what they are looking for in their answers. I understand there is a strict marking criteria and if there is something they want that you don't give you will lose marks.
If I am completely honest I didn't come out of the interview thinking I had nailed it, I know its natural to think I wish I had said this or that, I wish I hadn't said that but some things stuck in my mind which I thought would probably cost me a good pass.
Looking back I was given at least two opportunities to give the correct answer on some occasions and clearly didn't take it. I believe I was given all the help that I could be to say the right things but I didn't take the opportunity.
For the first time ever I don't think I was nervous in an interview but it wasn't enough to help.
I don't yet know if I failed the mmi or got the dreaded border line pass as I am yet to get feedback.

I'm not sure you can appeal and I guess once I get the feedback it will confirm my suspicions anyway.

Well said
I suppose the fact that it is a psychologist who conducts the interview may help.
Essentially those people know how to approach an individual, making them feel safe and comfortable, extracting exactly what they want from them.
On the other hand they know how to induct stress, and anxiety and then observe candidates sweating, stuttering and loosing the plot.

DunfordBridge

Hi Ultra4. No idea when you anticipate doing your MMI test but I thought the following video might be of interest to you and possibly others. Thought I would highlight it sooner rather than later as I have a few things to be be doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FqbqfDs_Q

It more or less backs up what myself and W230 have been saying but the presenter, Mr McMunn, talks at length about the structured interview and the interview with the driver manager. It even features some example questions but in light of recent feedback, I would not take it as gospel that any or all of these questions will appear in the structured interview.

ultra4

Thanks for the link. I have seen it once before but it is a good refresher and summarizer.
And yes you are right, my stage 2 assessment is so close I can already smell it.

benno79

Thanks for the link dunfordbridge. I'm hoping I get my feedback from the mmi tomorrow as I would really like to know where I went wrong. I think I know but I'd just like it confirming. I assume it's ok to use the same examples again if you only failed on one question.

W230

Established Member
I assume it's ok to use the same examples again if you only failed on one question.
It doesn't matter if you use the same examples again but if you failed the interview it suggests that your examples may not have had enough of whatever the interviewer was looking for. It may not have really fit the question or may not have been detailed enough etc etc.

This is why I said in the other post it's important to avoid rehearsing examples. By all means have a general idea of where you will go if asked to provide an example of a general skill area (in fact it is most likely advisable) but if it's rehearsed it will come across as so. You may find it very difficult to deviate from that rehearsed which may be to your disadvantage if the interviewer continues on a tangent or asks questions you were not expecting.

I found the CBI (as it was then) by far the most difficult part of the process and was lucky enough to have oodles of examples in the subject areas because of the job I was doing at the time. In my opinion, having a few general ideas of where you might go if asked a specific competency based question is far better than tailoring one example to fit the question.

benno79

I failed on one question so I was assuming the others must have been ok so I would just use those ones again and change the one I failed on. I didn't really have an opportunity to rehearse because I didn't know what the questions were going to be.
I obviously had the skills in mind what I thought they were looking for and wasn't too surprised when I was given the sheet with the questions on.
I also had multiple examples for each of the questions but wasn't asked to deviate, some of the sje stuff was put in to the interview which I guess is where it would have varied from the cbi. I'm waiting for the detailed feedback from the opc which I will hopefully get some time this week.

DunfordBridge

Thanks for the link dunfordbridge. I'm hoping I get my feedback from the mmi tomorrow as I would really like to know where I went wrong. I think I know but I'd just like it confirming. I assume it's ok to use the same examples again if you only failed on one question.

Thanks, Benno79. Shame about the one question. What W230 said about detail seems to ring true but it is possible that some questions deal with multiple criteria. For example, I believe working alone also deals with concentrating for long periods of time.
Thanks for the link. I have seen it once before but it is a good refresher and summarizer.
And yes you are right, my stage 2 assessment is so close I can already smell it.

How do you reckon you got on, Ultra4?

benno79

I guess I can't really say anymore until I get the feedback, you could second guess yourself forever :roll:

ultra4

I must confess the wait is killing me. Although on the other hand I don't want to know because as it stands the dream is still alive. :roll:

How do you think you had got on?
You can PM me if you wish.

Waikikibaby

I've failed on the multi-modal interview which was a shock as I thought I'd done really well. I had multiple examples for each question, I wasn't nervous and I answered everything she asked.

That means that my other 3 applications will have to be withdrawn which is a shame as one of them wanted me to attend for Manager Interview on 16th December.

Feeling absolutely gutted.

Waikikibaby

Just a quick note, I've actually been dreaming about my assessment 2 fail and wondering how many of the questions I got wrong and going over everything in my mind. I finally found out that OPC are the ones to give you feedback not FGW so I phoned them and they were REALLY nice. They took me through the questions and after all these days and days of panicking and not sleeping properly I found out that it was just the one question that I failed so in 6 months time I can do it again and know where I went wrong.
It's worth a quick phone call to put your mind at rest, sounds like you're torturing yourself when I bet it really wasn't that bad.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Reading this thread candidates need to remember that interviewers are trained and attitude is a major factor whether you pass or fail, just an observation!!!

DunfordBridge

I realised in time that the objective of the repeated questions of, "How did you feel," was not a direct enquiry about my emotional welfare. On reflection, my responses may have suggested that I was casual, aloof and indifferent. Two out of three is not bad.

Red18

Does the MMI still have the written element prior to the Interview or is it just straight into to the 'chat'?

train_lover

Does the MMI still have the written element prior to the Interview or is it just straight into to the 'chat'?

You will have to do the SJE on a computer before you go in
Reading this thread candidates need to remember that interviewers are trained and attitude is a major factor whether you pass or fail, just an observation!!!

100% agree with you. Be positive!! and make sure your answers always have a positive ending!

Nick82

Is there anyone who could provide info on what a MMI is and if many fail that stage

Status
Not open for further replies.