• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multi Modal Interview Assessment Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaper28

Just thought I'd ask what is probably an incredibly stupid question. I failed my previous MMI on one question. I'm due to do it again soon and wondered if I'd have to do the complete MMI over again, or just the one question that I failed on?

Does anyone know?

whole thing the one you failed on just change it up or stress the qualities that are important to a train driver.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waikikibaby

That's a shame. It was nearly 2 years ago and I can't remember much of the questions / answers that I gave back then.

Thank you.

scaper28

my advice is just relate everything to the qualities of a train driver eg safety and stuff, seemed to work for me :P even thought my examples were in my mind fairly weak.

JamesTT

I failed the MMI last year, however was encouraged to go for it again as soon as I could. My feedback consisted of one word which I didnt think was helpful, but I do understand the assessment procedure is shrouded in secrecy. It does seem others have been getting slighty more comprehensive feed back though. Such as getting told which question they got wrong.

EazyGuy

Just wondering with regards to the MMI, is the number of question they ask in the interview fixed? As in they have 5 or 6 written down, and they just ask around those questions....Also are the questions listed in the OP still fairly accurate?

scaper28

Just wondering with regards to the MMI, is the number of question they ask in the interview fixed? As in they have 5 or 6 written down, and they just ask around those questions....Also are the questions listed in the OP still fairly accurate?

before you go in you give a brief answer on 6 questions, these are then elaborated on in the interview. the questions are similar give an example of (insert random skill/attribute/random thing) its not really timed mine lasted about 45 mins others 75. and time also gives no indication of passing.

EazyGuy

before you go in you give a brief answer on 6 questions, these are then elaborated on in the interview. the questions are similar give an example of (insert random skill/attribute/random thing) its not really timed mine lasted about 45 mins others 75. and time also gives no indication of passing.

Ok thanks for the info. So the interview is based on these 6 questions only, or can they throw you a curve ball and ask for an example of something on the spot that you did not write down before?

scaper28

Ok thanks for the info. So the interview is based on these 6 questions only, or can they throw you a curve ball and ask for an example of something on the spot that you did not write down before?

not sure but they didnt with me though they did ask questions related to the based 6

JamesTT

I have an MMI coming up and was thinking of using an open university module as the example of the training course question. But I see this is apparently frowned upon could I have an opinion please

EazyGuy

Just a couple of questions:

Are there ever any TOC related questions asked in the MMI, or is to purely competency based? i.e any knowledge need about routes etc...or is that all in the DMI?

Also do they start off with "tell us about yourself" or any of that stuff that you'd expect in a standard interview or is it straight into the 6 questions?

Thanks for any help.

Nick82

Just for an update from anyone who has recently undergone a MMI. I attended an assessment last year. Looking at resitting them but i am wondering if it stands that you have to resit them all. For example I did not complete the last test before the SJE and the MMI.

Many thanks in advance

Sgiot

Hi,
I have my stage 2 assessments next week.
In my present job I ..........
1) "have to follow rules and procedures"
2) "work on my own for long periods of time
3) "work in a role similar to a train driver position"

My question is, would it be frowned upon giving what would essentially be the same
answer to all 3 questions.

Last edited:

332 > 444

Similar situation, I used to drive to see my girlfriend at the time in mainland EU, long hours being by myself or classed as working alone? As a short time I was also a courier so I could use either for each of those questions ans hopefully they accept it.

387star

On Moderation
If I can do it so can you

I actually thought I messed this interview up as the first question went very badly simply because I was not sticking to the star technique and generalising .. But things were fine after that

The questions were OK had harder questions in a DM interview

332 > 444

Ah cool. And just to confirm, the questions on the first page of this thread will be what comes up in the MMI?

marcustandy

I'm going to throw something out there; I have no idea of it's correct or if it just worked for me but it'll give you something (else) to think about .....

I passed my MMI at the end of 2014. I was lucky in-so-much-as, I had many examples for every question, having been in the army for 24 years.

Whilst preparing for the MMI, I spent many hours reading this forum and taking note of other applicants experiences, thoughts and outcomes. What I did see often were comments along the lines of "They must've been looking for a key word, they kept asking me the same thing again and again. I tried lots of different answers that I thought they were looking for but I still failed. Obviously I didn't give them the key word they were after."

Two things; I didn't buy-in to the theory that they would help you during the interview, that would keep asking to tease the right answer out of you. Also, if you are concise yet complete with your answers, keep it truthful but also bear in mind what they are looking for (a candidate suitable to train/become a train driver!), you shouldn't leave them with any gaps to be filled. Yeah, I know, easier said than done!

Anyway, here's my (controversial?) theory! I believe that the reason they repeatedly ask you a question isn't to tease another/better response out of you but to see how strong a character you are, to see if you can be easily swayed from your original thoughts/answer, to see if you are the confident type that 'has courage in your convictions'.

Following my MMI I was/am even more convinced that this was/is the case. My 'emergency situation' answer was based on being first at the scene of a really bad head-on RTA, as in, one car totally wrapped around a tree with the driver trapped and crushed inside; the other driver had broken bones pushed through his trousers and his big BMW was about the same length as a Nissan Micra due to the impact.

I explained that I used a bit of triage, told the next on scene to call the emergency services, sent a couple of people to treat the driver wrapped around the tree as for shock and I stayed with 'legs', trying to reassure him and keep him conscious etc. despite his chances looking pretty slim.

Back in the room, the interviewer listened as he busily made notes and/or ticked boxes. When I'd completed my answer, obviously using STAR, he then asked me how I felt at the time and afterwards. I answered honestly, "I felt nothing, not sad, not upset, not 'proud', just nothing. It was a kind of 'autopilot' thing, probably because of my military training and because at that point in my life, I'd seen and been involved with much worse."

Effectively, the interviewer asked the same question three times! And three times he got the same answer!! Finally I did say to him "I'm sorry if you're looking for something else, if you want me to tell something about how I felt, but I've told you everything already. I really don't have anything else to add." I then made a joke about how my ex-wife also told me I was heartless but hey, that's just me! Thankfully, he saw the funny side of it.

So to reiterate my point, maybe, just maybe some questions are asked to test your resolve, especially if the same question is being thrown at you again and again. Maybe the interviewer expected me to have a had a breakdown or slip into shock once the adrenaline (of the accident) had subsided but that wasn't the case so why should I say any different? It was a gamble and there was a chance that he was trying to help me 'tick a box' but personally, I really don't think so.

Finally my disclaimer! This was/is just my opinion! I believe it worked for me. You have to decide whether to follow or ignore this advice. I'm not responsible if it doesn't work for you or if I'm wrong and I was just lucky on the day.

Good luck!

donpoku

I'm going to throw something out there; I have no idea of it's correct or if it just worked for me but it'll give you something (else) to think about .....

I passed my MMI at the end of 2014. I was lucky in-so-much-as, I had many examples for every question, having been in the army for 24 years.

Whilst preparing for the MMI, I spent many hours reading this forum and taking note of other applicants experiences, thoughts and outcomes. What I did see often were comments along the lines of "They must've been looking for a key word, they kept asking me the same thing again and again. I tried lots of different answers that I thought they were looking for but I still failed. Obviously I didn't give them the key word they were after."

Two things; I didn't buy-in to the theory that they would help you during the interview, that would keep asking to tease the right answer out of you. Also, if you are concise yet complete with your answers, keep it truthful but also bear in mind what they are looking for (a candidate suitable to train/become a train driver!), you shouldn't leave them with any gaps to be filled. Yeah, I know, easier said than done!

Anyway, here's my (controversial?) theory! I believe that the reason they repeatedly ask you a question isn't to tease another/better response out of you but to see how strong a character you are, to see if you can be easily swayed from your original thoughts/answer, to see if you are the confident type that 'has courage in your convictions'.

Following my MMI I was/am even more convinced that this was/is the case. My 'emergency situation' answer was based on being first at the scene of a really bad head-on RTA, as in, one car totally wrapped around a tree with the driver trapped and crushed inside; the other driver had broken bones pushed through his trousers and his big BMW was about the same length as a Nissan Micra due to the impact.

I explained that I used a bit of triage, told the next on scene to call the emergency services, sent a couple of people to treat the driver wrapped around the tree as for shock and I stayed with 'legs', trying to reassure him and keep him conscious etc. despite his chances looking pretty slim.

Back in the room, the interviewer listened as he busily made notes and/or ticked boxes. When I'd completed my answer, obviously using STAR, he then asked me how I felt at the time and afterwards. I answered honestly, "I felt nothing, not sad, not upset, not 'proud', just nothing. It was a kind of 'autopilot' thing, probably because of my military training and because at that point in my life, I'd seen and been involved with much worse."

Effectively, the interviewer asked the same question three times! And three times he got the same answer!! Finally I did say to him "I'm sorry if you're looking for something else, if you want me to tell something about how I felt, but I've told you everything already. I really don't have anything else to add." I then made a joke about how my ex-wife also told me I was heartless but hey, that's just me! Thankfully, he saw the funny side of it.

So to reiterate my point, maybe, just maybe some questions are asked to test your resolve, especially if the same question is being thrown at you again and again. Maybe the interviewer expected me to have a had a breakdown or slip into shock once the adrenaline (of the accident) had subsided but that wasn't the case so why should I say any different? It was a gamble and there was a chance that he was trying to help me 'tick a box' but personally, I really don't think so.

Finally my disclaimer! This was/is just my opinion! I believe it worked for me. You have to decide whether to follow or ignore this advice. I'm not responsible if it doesn't work for you or if I'm wrong and I was just lucky on the day.

Good luck!
M8 you're a star! that's brilliant & very insightful. Cheers buddy.

EvoGSR

Also worth remembering that the interviewer tailors the interview to the results of the SJE, so in theory everyone's interview is individual to them. In other words, what they're looking for in an answer from one person may be slightly different to another.

There are clearly certain traits they are looking for, we know roughly what they probably are but we're not supposed to know the exact way it works. If we did the test probably becomes invalid.

NealFitz

I passed my MMI in February for NIR. The questions are pretty much the same. You get 15 mins or so to write some brief answers down which are then elaborated upon in the interview itself. I found these quite easy and was able to answer all fully. I think if you have a hobby which has safety critical elements to it it may help and even a railway background. For example on the rules and procedures element I used my experience as Emergency Operator (you could also use PILOTman if you have the competency) and recited the rules and procedures. For the importance of not making a mistake I used my Dropzone control competency for skydiving- having control of an airfield is not easy: being able to prioritize tasks etc! My interviewer was very intrigued!. She also threw in scenarios around the questions and asked me to imagine them and describe them using STAR. I found relating everything back to the train driver's job gets points. hope this helps

PaulM

Any update on this as comments seem to have halted. Have we talked it to death.....

Got my assessment next Thursday :/

youngboy

Not been on here for a good while, I failed the MMI over 18 months ago and the feedback I received at the time was very specific unlike some.

Unfortunately as much as people say they might not be looking for specific words etc I was told that out of six questions, I gave excellent answers to five and was just short with the sixth question.

Also told that in the notes they had wrote ''excellent communication skills'' BUT after repeated 'tries' I hadn't given the assessor the word/s she was looking for and lost a mark, in fact they said if I had mentioned just that one word I would've passed the interview. Well silly me, but it didn't register and that's my fault and at the time I was gutted. Not applied since then for any jobs but have had a break and now hungry to have that one last chance, then if I fail again so be it at least i can look back and think I passed all the assessments.:lol:

PaulM

Not been on here for a good while, I failed the MMI over 18 months ago and the feedback I received at the time was very specific unlike some.

Unfortunately as much as people say they might not be looking for specific words etc I was told that out of six questions, I gave excellent answers to five and was just short with the sixth question.

Also told that in the notes they had wrote ''excellent communication skills'' BUT after repeated 'tries' I hadn't given the assessor the word/s she was looking for and lost a mark, in fact they said if I had mentioned just that one word I would've passed the interview. Well silly me, but it didn't register and that's my fault and at the time I was gutted. Not applied since then for any jobs but have had a break and now hungry to have that one last chance, then if I fail again so be it at least i can look back and think I passed all the assessments.:lol:

It seems there is so many mixed signals on this that it seems pure luck to pass. I think that's a real punch to the gut as well as to say if you said one word that would of made you a better driver than if you didn't say it. very ridiculous!!!

Can you confirm the questions they asked you are those on page 1 of this feed?

Bucko

Can you confirm the questions they asked you are those on page 1 of this feed?

Hi Paul

When I took my MMI back in May, yes those were the questions asked.

HOWEVER.................. once you give an answer, they press you on it. And those subsequent pressing questions are individual to you, based on answers that YOU give on a Q&A that you fill in earlier on how you would feel or react to certain scenarios

So nobody can really help you with that part of it mate I'm afraid. But yes, its all based around the questions on page 1

PaulM

Hi Paul

HOWEVER.................. once you give an answer, they press you on it. And those subsequent pressing questions are individual to you, based on answers that YOU give on a Q&A that you fill in earlier on how you would feel or react to certain scenarios

So nobody can really help you with that part of it mate I'm afraid. But yes, its all based around the questions on page 1

Ill take this on board, cheers for the information.

donpoku

Also told that in the notes they had wrote ''excellent communication skills'' BUT after repeated 'tries' I hadn't given the assessor the word/s she was looking for and lost a mark, in fact they said if I had mentioned just that one word I would've passed the interview. Well silly me, but it didn't register and that's my fault and at the time I was gutted. Not applied since then for any jobs but have had a break and now hungry to have that one last chance, then if I fail again so be it at least i can look back and think I passed all the assessments.[emoji38]
What was the word?

redron

The word they are looking for is 'pineapple'.

Not easy to include it but that's the process...

youngboy

Hi Paul

This is more or less what I experienced, I was asked to expand on my answer, she was looking for a particular word or phrase, I never got there. Thinking about it logically the whole question was built around that one thing she wanted.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What was the word?

It would be useless me telling you, it might not be relevant to your situation.

387star

On Moderation

Not sure how I Past this to be honest!

However question wise I Have had tougher driver manager interviews

The question I found toughest in the MMI was a time you have carried a task out to a high standard whilst encountering difficulties

What is funny is by the end I actually enjoyed the interview gave me quite a buzz

Cannot believe it was a year ago now.. It has been a rocky road since failing the freightliner interview that I am confident now I would pass then passing a FGW interview for which I am on hold with no guaranteed job and then finally passing the thameslink interview and a medical with a certain promise of a job.. The first time I have been able to relax as I really feel it will happen now and just got to be patient my passes are good till summer 2017

I have also found all companies have accepted my passes (apart from C2C) which was a relief as I did hear scare stories on here about tocs not accepting passes but as long as they meet their standards you are in. I had to take the dfft test for gtr but that was it

Last edited:

PaulM

I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone on this feed as all information helped massively in preparation for my mmi.

I passed (I thought I failed). The question in this post a similar but not exact just to let people know.

Just want to say thank you again and good luck for all 1st and 2nd timers for the mmi.

Status
Not open for further replies.