• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multi Modal Interview Assessment Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
That's good advice, but depending on your background you may not have good examples to call upon. I passed the DM interview and all the tests but failed the MMI.

My 6 months are almost up, but as I still work in an office and nothing has changed in terms of what my answers would be, I'm reluctant to go straight back in incase I fail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pip

This question is aimed at anyone who has sat the MMI, did any of you use the same answer for 2 different questions, ie 'working alone' and 'rules and regulations' I ask as my current role covers both of these or would I be prompted to come up with two different scenarios. Thanks.

Nick82

Can anyone also comment on how to prepare for the TRP tests to recall the job related information

red2005

Tricky really to practice that bit but it's proven apparently that writing notes as your listening help people memorise certain things!?

In terms of the interview I was always told to remember S.T.A.R

S- situation

T-task

A-actions you took

R- result

Hope this helps

387star

On Moderation
The question asking about a course longer than two weeks

If you are a guard do you mention the guard training or is this looked down on... Surely it depends how you answer it? Surely it doesn't matter if you use the same job to answer several questions if you answer well?

I also understand mentioning university courses is looked down on but might be wrong...

Any good examples people have mentioned?

ash39

Established Member
One bit of help I can offer having sat the MMI, is some people are preparing for questions that on my particular occasion, were not asked.

I don't know if it's the same questions each time though, so maybe not so helpful after all!!

Everywhere

One bit of help I can offer having sat the MMI, is some people are preparing for questions that on my particular occasion, were not asked.

I don't know if it's the same questions each time though, so maybe not so helpful after all!!

Is anyone willing to shed some light on whether the questions are based around these topics or not for FTPE?

Cheers, Mick

dazzayid

Passed my assessment day yesterday, just DM interview and MMI to go.

One thing I will ask is about the 'how did u feel' question. I have passed this before for a Shunters role but they asked me how I felt about 100 times and really could not think of the word they wanted me to say.

Last edited:

tlionhart

Passed my assessment day yesterday, just DM interview and MMI to go.

One thing I will ask is about the 'how did u feel' question. I have passed this before for a Shunters role but they asked me how I felt about 100 times and really could not think of the word they wanted me to say.

There isn't a key word...
Well, let's say you faced something challenging, how do you feel when you resolve a situation?
Proud?, felt you learned something?, felt you achieved something? , etc
It actually is tagged into the STAR response. So on the R, you may when to briefly sum up how you reflected or the outcome was of the situation...always make this positive and be confident in the response. If you sound weak, they may think your bragging...
Forget key words, or the right thing to say. (In terms of what you think they want to hear)

GearJammer

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has been through this stage and has an idea of the questions asked. I have an idea of the 5 most common that have been asked previously and if anyone can confirm these.

1. Describe a time where you've had to follow rules & procedures
2. Describe a time where you've been involved in an emergency situation
3. Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks or your greatest achievement
4. Describe a time where you've had to work for long periods of time alone
5. Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult prob

Do these look familiar?

Cheers

So what if you can't answer a question????? Im looking at Question 2 & 3..... I honestly don't think ive ever been in an emergency situation, certainly can't think of one...... and ive never been on a training course that has lasted two weeks.
again, im sure I have probably solved a difficult problem, but I can't think of one.

russmcp

Lie and make one up and make it sound like you took control of the situation remained calm and was pro active in solving the emergency.
I always think better to make something up than say "I have no answer for that"

Not good advice I'm afraid. They will see through you and you will trip up. Not exactly ethical is it?

Joof

I sat the mmi in July n passed. I really don't know what advice to offer as it was new to me n had no advice or knowledge of what was coming. If anything all I can say is don't lie or start making things up to make your answers sound better. Tell the truth or you'll trip yourself up as they ask you the same questions but in a different way. Also remember, it can be any experience in your life not just your work experiences. One guy who was there used the experience for an emergency when one of his children got into difficulty whilst swimming, so it can be anything. Remain calm and confident. Good luck.

dazzayid

I have passed the old cbi before but when he said how did u feel working alone I said I felt fine happy and comfortable, he still kept asking I felt, he was obviously fishing for another word. Obviously wih the drivers role things like focus and concentration should be rd used don't you think??

JCLeeds

Erm yes.... and HGVs, but I wouldn't count the car test, I think it was one lesson a week for a few hours.... I can't remember over how long.

Even my HGV1 was done in under a week.

HGV driving is, I think almost the perfect answer for "task similar to train driving" question. I used van driving. They will though ask for a specific time. I just spoke about a long job driving to cornwall. I didnt think there was much to say about it really, pretty basic, but just mentioned when I set off, when I got there, when & where I planned to stop and sleep on the way to break the journey and what I did to guard against tiredness. They will ask you detailed questions so as long as its a real example you wont have to memorise much. Might be good if you can think of an eventful job? I thought mine was a weak example but I passed the MMI overall 3 weeks ago.

Also: they didnt ask me about a training course I had done, though I have heard others talk about this being asked.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have passed the old cbi before but when he said how did u feel working alone I said I felt fine happy and comfortable, he still kept asking I felt, he was obviously fishing for another word. Obviously wih the drivers role things like focus and concentration should be rd used don't you think??

That happened to me. They kept asking me how I felt; in the end I said 'relaxed' and instantly regretted it, thought it might be construed as 'tired' or something. Passed it though

387star

On Moderation
AFAIK the questions above are from the old interview and the training course and working alone are no longer central questions nor is problem solving the latter has morphed into describing a time you have worked to a very high standard whilst encountering difficulty

SPADTrap

Established Member
So what if you can't answer a question????? Im looking at Question 2 & 3..... I honestly don't think ive ever been in an emergency situation, certainly can't think of one...... and ive never been on a training course that has lasted two weeks.
again, im sure I have probably solved a difficult problem, but I can't think of one.

If you can't? You'll fail the interview..

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
HGV driving is, I think almost the perfect answer for "task similar to train driving" question. I used van driving. They will though ask for a specific time. I just spoke about a long job driving to Cornwall. I didn't think there was much to say about it really, pretty basic, but just mentioned when I set off, when I got there, when & where I planned to stop and sleep on the way to break the journey and what I did to guard against tiredness. They will ask you detailed questions so as long as its a real example you wont have to memorize much. Might be good if you can think of an eventful job? I thought mine was a weak example but I passed the MMI overall 3 weeks ago.

Also: they didn't ask me about a training course I had done, though I have heard others talk about this being asked.

Got to agree :)

Learning to Drive car is a great example of a training course and better so if you took an intensive course. Its training over a set period. You need to make an effort and show that your capable of learning something new, taking instruction and retaining the information. With the modern theory test you also have that added requirement for some book smarts too.

Learning to swim can easily be another. As again, it requires learning and taking instruction.

dazzayid

I used my weight loss and doing circuit training I have been doing for last 14 months hope this will be good enough

rey89iceman

As long as you have an answer that relates to it and have a well constructed response for it when you get to the interview, you will be fine. I sat down every evening for around a week before just going through scenarios that I had been in etc and found that it really helped and kept me calm in the interview.

Lucky for me I had some great answers for the questions from being in the army, being involved in an almost fatal car crash and running the marathon a couple of years ago...knew they would come in handy at some point :D

dazzayid

Well I have a good one for emergency as I had a driver have heart attack on me and I had to deal with that and give cpr, the train driver question is a hard one because I have obviously never had a job like that before. The answer I put down was about driving Highway 1 in California. As this road takes loads of concentration on driving as its a very dodgy road with huge drops at some points

rey89iceman

Will be fine mate. Sounds like you have the relevant experience to give some good answers!

Jim88

Is saying that I found working alone quite therapeutic a bad idea

Well, saying you are comfortable with it for sure, coupled with an example of such working. Balance this with a further example that shows you are not an introvert and can communicate with others with confidence, so can work well as part of a team.

TomHaley

I've got my stage 2 assessments on Tuesday, the part I'm most nervous about is the MMI. Whilst I'm confident I can give example about what the questions appear to be, I'm not sure how may examples I could give. Does anybody that has already done it know if it's a case of give an example that's good enough, you move on, or do they want to know you can give several examples about each one? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Joof

Just one example for each question. Only advice I can offer if it helps is try to not complicate things or over think it. The answer to the questions should be simple but something you can elaborate on when asked the questions on what you've said. Whatever you do, do not lie to try and make up something you think would be a better answer. You will trip yourself up and they will know you've made it up. Don't worry too much it's not that bad. Just relax and be honest. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.