• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multiple track layouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
Ok I know we have had current and recent threads on Quad layouts.

My query is "Where were the most tracks to run parallel?"
Not including sidings but purely regularly used lines in normal service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John55

Without a track map it is not possible to be exact but there are at least 18 immediately east of Clapham Junction station.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Six together between Bushey and on the approach to Euston and Finchley Rd and Harrow-on-the-Hill (albeit 4 LUL on the latter) are the first that come to mind - where they cross near Kenton is the only pass in Britain where two stretches of 6-track line do so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Waterloo-Clapham Jn as well.

There are loads around stations only that are 6 track or more too.

NSE

Established Member
Six together between Bushey and on the approach to Euston and Finchley Rd and Harrow-on-the-Hill (albeit 4 LUL on the latter) are the first that come to mind - where they cross near Kenton is the only pass in Britain where two stretches of 6-track line do so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Waterloo-Clapham Jn as well.

There are loads around stations only that are 6 track or more too.

It's briefly 8 at Wembley Park where the met lines become fast and slow and jubilee and Chiltern. Only for a short period is it eight tracks though.

Trog

Established Member
How about next to the old Willesden Freightliner terminal.

Up and Dn Relief (LLG)
4x WCML
Up and Dn DC
Up and Dn City

Quite a good total for six miles out from a major station.

tsr

Established Member
How about next to the old Willesden Freightliner terminal.

Up and Dn Relief (LLG)
4x WCML
Up and Dn DC
Up and Dn City

Quite a good total for six miles out from a major station.

Redhill has 14 tracks side by side, if you include sidings which are completely overgrown and rarely, if ever, used (and which will probably, quite sensibly, soon be demolished).

If that doesn't count, it has 8 lines through the station (Goods 1*, Goods 2*, Platform 1 US, Platform 2 US, UML, DML, Platform 3 DS and Platform 4 Bay).

Then you have the Quarry Line, which forms the real-life Up and Down Fasts, if you like.

I have confirmed this with Google Maps, plus, you know, it's one of my local stations.

*Unsure of the official designation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.