• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My improved 66 cab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcan

You may recall me asking drivers for their thoughts and opinions about driving cabs, as I am doing a project at uni to design a new and improved train cab. I picked on the class 66 as my starting point, as these are a widespread loco used all over europe and still in production.

Anyway, it is getting near to the end of the project, so its full steam ahead with the CAD model. I have just got the restyled exterior to a stage where I'm happy enough with it to show you. (see below).

The livery is totally fictitious, done 'stylish' to please my tutors :D

Hope you like it.

Attachments

• lights on.jpg
    lights on.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 118
  • yep.jpg
    yep.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 95
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vulcan

Also, I should point out that there is no photoshop used in these images, they are just a quick render taken directly from the CAD model. It is still under development as well, and shouldn't be seen as the completely finished article.

The CAD interior is still being done.

GB

Established Member
Looks quite smart, kind of a cross between a 66 and 60

Well done :)

Vulcan

Looks quite smart, kind of a cross between a 66 and 60

Ssshhhhhh!!! Don't tell my tutors that! They know not of the superior looking class 60, which may have been an influence for elements of the exterior styling :D

Royston Vasey

Established Member
It looks good - have you got interior views to show us, would be good see the imrpovements you've designed there.

Vulcan

Another rendering, this time stood on a section of track. I need to find a more powerful computer now as this is stretching this one to it's limit!

Attachments

• loco on track.jpg
    loco on track.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 83

The Snap

Established Member
Very smart. Out of interest, which CAD package are you using? :)

Vulcan

Very smart. Out of interest, which CAD package are you using? :)

Alias, Solidworks and 3D studio Max. The exterior was modelled in Alias and rendered in Max, the interior is modelled in Alias with components imported from Solidworks, and will be rendered in Max. Both will also be animated in Max.

I have seen the excellent fictitious liveries website before, and that image of the more british looking 66.I did think about smoothing out the sides, but really i'm only designing the cab, so I left the rest of the loco alone. Plus i rather like the angular feel that 66s have.

Thanks for the good comments everyone :D

Burkitt

I really like your redesign of the 66 front end, it looks very smart and powerful.

If I can make an aesthetic comment, the way the white chafer folds under the loco looks a little awkward compared to the rest of the cab front. I hope you don't mind me fiddling with your rendering, but can I make a suggestion for an alteration to it?

Vulcan%2066%201%20copy.jpg

This is just a quick edit in photoshop, so I'm not sure how well it would actually work in 3D, whether it would be practical within the constraints of the design, or indeed if you think it looks any better.

Also, have you seen the designs for the new 66EU? There's a picture of a drawing of it at http://www.paulbigland.fotopic.net/p53964756.html , and an article quoted here http://www.railserver.be/railcolor/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=213 . The cab is being improved with air conditioning, noise insulation, better seats, a microwave and a fridge.

Paul

Vulcan

I agree it would look better like that, My concern is would having it full width that far down mean it would hit curved platforms? 66s are very long, and I think there must be a reason they currently have that little chamfer under the body at the end and are then narrower over the buffer beams and obstacle deflectors. Also, my tutor likes it the way it is, and he's the one marking it :D But thanks for the constructive crtiticism and illustration.

Having looked at EMD's plans for the new 66 cab, I've gotta say.......mine looks better :D

Status
Not open for further replies.