• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My new blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have started a blog outlining my training at SWT as a trainee driver starting tomorrow. Thought it would be useful for anyone who wanted to know what the training is like.

I also thought it would complement the one I read that is on traindriver.org

the web address is http://swtdriver.blogspot.com/ and I will update as often as I can!

francis

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lou2006

Hi francisoldfield. Just wanted to say congratulations on your new career move. You once replied to one of my threads and you were very helpful and thoughtful in your reply. It's funny that you are starting to train as a trainee driver because I have just spent the last 3 and a half years applying for signaller positions with NR and I was finally successful in November and begin signalling school in Leeds very soon.

All the best to you and I will try and keep an eye on your blog.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
just a check- have you discussed the blog with SWT to check that they're happy with it? Very much worthwhile checking they're OK. There hopefully shouldn't be any objection, but better to find out now, not later

LCC106

Established Member
I'll be really interested to read it, since I start as a trainee driver on 23rd Jan! Just a heads up, hope you don't mind me pointing out but you say "I am not embarking (on a training course)" - think it should read "I am NOW..."

Best of luck to you.

Donachie

Hi all

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have started a blog outlining my training at SWT as a trainee driver starting tomorrow. Thought it would be useful for anyone who wanted to know what the training is like.

I also thought it would complement the one I read that is on traindriver.org

the web address is http://swtdriver.blogspot.com/ and I will update as often as I can!

francis

Well Done on getting that new job, Francis. Hope your training goes well . All the best,
Andrew.

driver9000

Established Member
I'll be really interested to read it, since I start as a trainee driver on 23rd Jan! Just a heads up, hope you don't mind me pointing out but you say "I am not embarking (on a training course)" - think it should read "I am NOW..."

Best of luck to you.

I noticed that too :lol:

Good luck to both of you. You'll love it! :D

S19

Looking forward to reading this Francis.

Congratulations by the way.

Hi francisoldfield. Just wanted to say congratulations on your new career move. You once replied to one of my threads and you were very helpful and thoughtful in your reply. It's funny that you are starting to train as a trainee driver because I have just spent the last 3 and a half years applying for signaller positions with NR and I was finally successful in November and begin signalling school in Leeds very soon.

Hello pal, congrats on your signalling job. As you probably saw on these forums I applied many times for signaller and not got an interview, so I know how hard you have had to work. All the best!!

tlionhart

first of all, congratulations with the new job! Im finding your blog very interesting. Just wanted to find out, does all your training take place in Basingstoke or Fratton?

all the induction and rules is at basingstoke.

After the rules, I believe i go back to Fratton to go out with a driving instructor!

Last edited:

Lou2006

Thanks to everyone who wished me well with my training. Cannot wait for the training to start.

Thanks

sultanofswing

Dam it! Your blog reads backwards!

I naturally started reading from the top down, without looking at the dates! I couldn't work out why you were getting taught absolute block and track circuits on your first day, then having a tour around the depot a few weeks in?

Anyway a good read so far (reading it in the correct order), I start my training in Feb so it's a good heads up, be interesting to see if FGW do things any different.

thanks all

I have reduced the frequency of the entries slightly as often not much noteworthy happens so i just group it all together. yes it is a bit irritating to have it in the order it is but i don't seem to be able to change it ( I would prefer it the other way as well! )

tlionhart

Really finding your blog interesting! Let me get one thing straight though? You had to do a English and Maths exam? What happened if you failed them?

Rjhsteel

English and Maths exam? What did that consist of and like tlionhart said, what happens if you fail? Course fail?

no it was just a test to go towards the fact that technically I am an apprentice, from those results they obviously decide how much help I will need with my NVQ!!

tlionhart

I have been following your blog, which I am finding very interesting. I would like to work for SWT and will apply when the next batch of vacancies appear. (if they are convenient to get to)
My question is, you get tested often. Im use to that concept, as that happened in the current job I do now. The pass marks were very high too. Pretty similar to yours. However re-sits were of course permitted, but too many would be bad news. So if you fail an exam you just do it again (of course with a high pass mark, fail it again you will talk to your instructor.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Glad to see your training has finally started, that ride down to Hampton Court looks familliar-it's one of my routes I sign as a guard!

I had a quick interview with the guards depot manager at Fratton the other day and it is now confirmed that I shall be transferring from Strawberry Hill back 'home' to Fratton very shortly, so I look forward to working with you when you have qualified.:D

thomas69

Congratulations and good luck. Only tip I can give you is literally revise every night in your hotel room and get some small cards to write bullet points on like bell codes etc

Lou2006

Hi Thomas69.

Thanks for the message. Just finished my first week at NR training school in Leeds. Really enjoying it and I have already been revising every night on what we have gone through on the day and the previous days. It's all starting to sink in, but only because I am putting the work in.

Take care mate.

thomas69

Hi Thomas69.

Thanks for the message. Just finished my first week at NR training school in Leeds. Really enjoying it and I have already been revising every night on what we have gone through on the day and the previous days. It's all starting to sink in, but only because I am putting the work in.

Take care mate.

Well done mate. Any problems, or stuck with anything don't hesitate to pm me. Good luck again

Status
Not open for further replies.