• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That sting didn’t do him a lot of good that day. :lol:

reddragon

Established Member
All locos's and units have now had their 1st post holiday drives. Several I have reprogrammed to reverse them due to one ended coupling. Lots of shunting!

Peter C

Established Member
All locos's and units have now had their 1st post holiday drives. Several I have reprogrammed to reverse them due to one ended coupling. Lots of shunting!
Sounds like fun :lol:
Did you have (m)any issues when running them?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
My only coach on order arrived yesterday completing my WR Mk. 1 set. It is formed as: -

BSK + SK + SK + SO + SO + CK + Gresley RB + RFO + FO + BCK

All apart from the RFO are Hornby. This is the new Hornby BCK, a favourite of mine in the real world.

1631609414326.png
1631609443994.png

fourtytwo

That looks great, the whole rake must be impressive :)
I was intrigued by the baby wipes, I have found soft materials get caught in the sharp bits of pointwork so resorted to edge on MDF board (what happens to the resin:?:) with the occasional dip in IPA for stubborn bits. If the board gets to grubby I clean it with a file.

reddragon

Established Member
That looks great, the whole rake must be impressive :)
I was intrigued by the baby wipes, I have found soft materials get caught in the sharp bits of pointwork so resorted to edge on MDF board (what happens to the resin:?:) with the occasional dip in IPA for stubborn bits. If the board gets to grubby I clean it with a file.
Two fingers on a wipe works well on running tracks if held just right. Points are an issue that requires more delicate solutions. I have a pot of IPA but haven't needed it yet. My old track does need a good old track rubber before wiping though.

fourtytwo

Two fingers on a wipe works well on running tracks if held just right. Points are an issue that requires more delicate solutions. I have a pot of IPA but haven't needed it yet. My old track does need a good old track rubber before wiping though.
I got sworn off of track rubbers in my N gauge days! I think I can say with fair certainty they were responsible for a lot of the gunk adhering to stock wheels, of course it depends on who's rubbers your using, mine were elderly Peco. Another discovery for me is plastic wheels seem pick up a lot more gunk than metal ones. Thinking about it maybe the wiping removes any gunk deposited by the track rubber.

Peter C

Established Member
My only coach on order arrived yesterday completing my WR Mk. 1 set. It is formed as: -

All apart from the RFO are Hornby. This is the new Hornby BCK, a favourite of mine in the real world.

View attachment 102597
View attachment 102598
That looks very nice. A very interesting arrangement with the guard's bit, then first class and standard too to finish it off! Sounds like something you'd hear on a small light railway somewhere to save costs. :)
Only problem with Hornby's Mk1s is the raised lines down the roof. I know the Mk1s started to show the panel lines as they grew older, but it means if you want to model a new one, you need to file them down (or buy Bachmann's offerings, which have no lines whatsoever).

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 102597
View attachment 102598

Yep I’ve always liked BCKs too. A set of vans with one of them marshalled right behind a BR blue 73 or 33 would make an excellent Southern Region night train…

reddragon

Established Member
Yep I’ve always liked BCKs too. A set of vans with one of them marshalled right behind a BR blue 73 or 33 would make an excellent Southern Region night train…
I used to do all line rovers 1st class with a discount as I had a Gold card. I always sought them out as they are quite special coaches.

reddragon

Established Member
I have a large batch of Dapol wagons on the way and all 14 of those I ordered have arrived at retailers.

Oddly, only 9 of 10 ordered from Rails have been dispatched!

Hattons haven't dispatched my 4 from there yet

pictures to follow when they arrive

Peter C

Established Member
Sounds interesting. You'll have enough stock to rival some of the big freight companies soon! :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sounds interesting. You'll have enough stock to rival some of the big freight companies soon! :D

-Peter

I haven’t bought anything for ages. Had to send one of the 33s away to be repaired a couple of weeks so I’ll wait and see what that costs before buying anything else.

reddragon

Established Member
I haven’t bought anything for ages. Had to send one of the 33s away to be repaired a couple of weeks so I’ll wait and see what that costs before buying anything else.
Just had notification on my 4 wagons from Hattons, so now just 1 from Rails missing. Asked Rails and they said 1 wagon was missed on their delivery for an odd reason.

A week away from my new loco 1 of 6

My new rake of Freightliner wagons have arrived, well 9/10 of those I ordered.

My 3 of 4 HIAs

1633087651758.png

My 3 pairs of MJAs

1633087676721.png

In a nice rake

1633087898748.png

One has arrived with a defective wheel

1633087936928.png 1633087964772.png

Should I get a replacement of live with it? I turned the wagon so can't see the issue.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice. :) Would you be able to glue that wheel back on with a tiny bit of superglue?