• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well you have been invited! 44 power locos / units but some to go on eBay.
:lol: I know and thanks!
Have you got a way of running a couple of trains around the loops and using another controller to run the terminus station at the same time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
:lol: I know and thanks!
Have you got a way of running a couple of trains around the loops and using another controller to run the terminus station at the same time?
I have 3x Z21 multi-maus plus 2 mobiles set up
#################
Completed the new HST rake for now. Had to do a few coupling swaps but all done now

2x FGW power cars, FGW - TGS + 3x TS, then GWR TS, TRUK, TF so 7 car

1643217267357.png

##############

Today I have managed to repair D1016 - it was simply a wire disconnected from the motor. It last ran in early December 2021.

Also reprogrammed 60008 for smoother running and changed lots of CV values to get 56084 to stop!

I have 2 more locos on the way and another loco ordered :)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good stuff. Always nice when you manage to repair something and it’s easier than you expected.

reddragon

Established Member
Today more loco CV programming. Tried again to improve the Bachmann Class 70 but alas although running much smoother, still no slow speed control.

Lots of shunting in the sidings for my next 2 locos arriving next week!

Lima 60008 is now off track and once the plastic is warm I shall be taking out the DCC chip for it's sale on eBay. The plastic needs to be flexible so I can bend it to get the body off! Not easy on a 60.

Lima 37012 departed for its new railway today on the Severn Valley Line!

I am also beginning to plan some more tracks to improve freight capacity.

##################################################

My Lima HST set is now also going to depart the railway as I now have 2 new sets. Most of the coaches are photographed & boxed but the power cars need the capacitor removed & a body repair on 43168 before they go. They are twin powered, DCC tuned with LED lights.

#################################################

New arrivals!

These were very cheap, silly low prices going at the mo on the Westerns!

D1007 already DCC fitted

1643624028414.png

And D1015 Sound fitted

1643624091772.png

All lined up together

1643624142368.png

1643624175827.png

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a lovely collection of Westerns. What’s the sound quality like on the sound fitted one?

reddragon

Established Member
That’s a lovely collection of Westerns. What’s the sound quality like on the sound fitted one?
The blue Dapol D1026 and Golden Ochre Heljan D1015 bothe have the same ESU chip & sounds.

D1026 has the speaker in the dedicated slot internally & CV63 set at 170. I raised it from 120 which was too quiet and still, it is a bit quiet but sounds OK. It is the standard speaker from Howes.
D1015 has the speaker mounted where the fuel tanks are & CV63 is set at 160. There must be a better speaker as it is very loud close up and can be clearly listened to around the whole loop!

There may be more Westerns in the future!

My next new deliveries should be leaving China soon!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The blue Dapol D1026 and Golden Ochre Heljan D1015 bothe have the same ESU chip & sounds.

D1026 has the speaker in the dedicated slot internally & CV63 set at 170. I raised it from 120 which was too quiet and still, it is a bit quiet but sounds OK. It is the standard speaker from Howes.
D1015 has the speaker mounted where the fuel tanks are & CV63 is set at 160. There must be a better speaker as it is very loud close up and can be clearly listened to around the whole loop!

There may be more Westerns in the future!

My next new deliveries should be leaving China soon!

Interesting thanks for that. I’d love to get my Western fitted with sound but I’m not sure if it’s possible. I guess it might be though because there’s a bit of room in the body.

reddragon

Established Member
I have listed my Lima Loadhaul 60.008 and some Lima Mk3's on eBay as part of my staged fleet renewal programme.

More to follow :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have listed my Lima Loadhaul 60.008 and some Lima Mk3's on eBay as part of my staged fleet renewal programme.

More to follow :)
I guess you haven’t got much Lima stuff left now?

reddragon

Established Member
Lima locos = 9 + wrecks, coaches = 7 HST, Wagons = 10 tankers

They are all very good models to drive, pull good loads, make a nice roar, easy to maintain and look better than others of their period given that all bar 1 are the current Hornby Railroad models!

I have a quality scoring system and those at the bottom are at risk of sale when I get new arrivals.

#########
Update 10th - All 6 listed Lima mk3s went for a fair price!

Just my Lima 60 unsold.

#########

Update 12th

My class 423 VEP in NSE is listed Sunday
Class 60 unsold

#############

Update 14th

Now on Sale via eBay are: -

W43167+W43168 twin DCC power Lima HSTs
Lima 60008 in Loadhaul DCC ready
Hornby 92045 DCC fitted
Hornby NSE VEP 423588 DCC fitted

Lima Mk3 HST coach W42307

I am running down my Lima fleet due to new arrivals this year.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like you’ve finally had enough of that VEP then?
I must admit that it seems to be quite well known in modelling circles that they’re not the best.

reddragon

Established Member
Looks like you’ve finally had enough of that VEP then?
I must admit that it seems to be quite well known in modelling circles that they’re not the best.
I decided that my EMUs need to be 8 car units so to run in a more realistic manner.

The VEP runs well but not at slow speeds. I'll replace it with a Bachmann class 410 to run with my 411 or maybe later a SWT new Hornby VEP

Also VEP should sell at above purchase price, my basic rule of sales on eBay, no significant losses, buy when low, sell when high enough..

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I decided that my EMUs need to be 8 car units so to run in a more realistic manner.

The VEP runs well but not at slow speeds. I'll replace it with a Bachmann class 410 to run with my 411 or maybe later a SWT new Hornby VEP

Also VEP should sell at above purchase price, my basic rule of sales on eBay, no significant losses, buy when low, sell when high enough..

They’re apparently bringing out a new improved VEP. Would you consider getting a couple of those?

reddragon

Established Member
They’re apparently bringing out a new improved VEP. Would you consider getting a couple of those?
My priorities are 8 car / extra units such as the Class 410 BEP & a second 450 DES. A pair of 4DDs hmm. A Hornby 423 is lower down unless they are a lot better than the old ones.

#########

My last Lima Mk3 sold this morning and now 60008 has sold too :)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My priorities are 8 car / extra units such as the Class 410 BEP & a second 450 DES. A pair of 4DDs hmm. A Hornby 423 is lower down unless they are a lot better than the old ones.

#########

My last Lima Mk3 sold this morning and now 60008 has sold too :)

Well done. Did you get a decent price for them?

reddragon

Established Member
My 4-VEP sold quite quickly for a profit and my Hornby class 92 has just departed today.

I did sell my HSTs but the buyer cancelled & I cannot relist with the original sellers discount. What a pain! So I have no stock for sale today.

I am considering a new pre-order that will result in another departure, hmm, not sure yet. . . .

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My 4-VEP sold quite quickly for a profit and my Hornby class 92 has just departed today.

I did sell my HSTs but the buyer cancelled & I cannot relist with the original sellers discount. What a pain! So I have no stock for sale today.

I am considering a new pre-order that will result in another departure, hmm, not sure yet. . . .

I just had a look on eBay to see if there was any interesting N gauge stuff just about to finish.
There wasn’t…

reddragon

Established Member
I just had a look on eBay to see if there was any interesting N gauge stuff just about to finish.
There wasn’t…
Both DCC fitted Lima HSTs are again listed individually & open to offers. Anyone serious could email me on eBay for a deal.

reddragon

Established Member
I have started the upgrading of my suburban station area to include long freight loops. I will post pictures once I have something to show.

I also have 2 new loco's on the way. The first should arrive by Monday, the second in a week or so. I will post pictures as they arrive.

W43168 is still for sale on eBay and I may list another loco soon.

Peter C

Established Member
Liking the sound of those freight loops - I had a (really quite short) loop on a previous version of Oldmoor and they're great fun. Looking forward to seeing that - and the new arrivals! :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I have started the upgrading of my suburban station area to include long freight loops. I will post pictures once I have something to show.

I also have 2 new loco's on the way. The first should arrive by Monday, the second in a week or so. I will post pictures as they arrive.

W43168 is still for sale on eBay and I may list another loco soon.
That sounds a nice feature. They are quite common on the real railway but rare on model ones, so I’m looking forward to seeing that develop

reddragon

Established Member
Today W43168 departed for it's new railway, the last of my Lima HST formation to go.

BR 71000 Duke of Gloucester is now listed. It's a wonderful loco but it lacks the pick ups & hence super smooth running required to haul long trains reliably, so it had to go.

Track gangs have been preparing for a new crossover to give P7 direct access to the down loco shed. 4 new power connectors will be required a 2x long LH points (all in stock).

Meanwhile further up the line preparations are under way for track bed construction for the new long down freight loop to enable several trains to be help in the loops.

My next loco delivery was due today but seems to be delayed. It will replace 71000's duties.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today W43168 departed for it's new railway, the last of my Lima HST formation to go.

BR 71000 Duke of Gloucester is now listed. It's a wonderful loco but it lacks the pick ups & hence super smooth running required to haul long trains reliably, so it had to go.

Track gangs have been preparing for a new crossover to give P7 direct access to the down loco shed. 4 new power connectors will be required a 2x long LH points (all in stock).

Meanwhile further up the line preparations are under way for track bed construction for the new long down freight loop to enable several trains to be help in the loops.

My next loco delivery was due today but seems to be delayed. It will replace 71000's duties.

Nice. Any chance of a photo update at some point to see the stuff you’ve been doing?

reddragon

Established Member
My new arrival has been delivered :)

It is a Hornby Merchant Navy as listed on the Bargains thread.

DCC fitting was not as easy as it should have been and as was on the Hornby Castle. Undo 2 screws under the tender, there are 5! OK undo front recessed pair of screws, err they are at the back, OK undone. Lift off body, err no lift & slide, hmmm. Chip fitted, lets put the body back - err nope!. Hmmm. Get out large torch & magnifying glasses. Ahh, reversing handle fitted to tender has to fit in tiny hole whilst tender body is slide & dropped on, why? WHY! Of course that isn't going to happen because to push it in results in it falling off. Why oh why make something so simple so tricky Hornby?

OK, loco assembled & on track, DCC fitted and runs fine. Reversing handle in box.

1648724680545.png

I took the photo where the new crossing is going in on the 2nd & 3rd tracks so you could take a look. All marked out, just needs cable holes, plain track removal & points laying in place.

1648724742532.png

Well when it's warmer again!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow what a lovely thing (despite the faff of trying to get into it).