• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name the town...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny Dave

Established Member
I have 2 through platforms, 3 bay platforms and a goods avoiding line. The west facing bay has been lifted however, and the east facing bays are used to stable stock between turns.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Darlington?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As there's no movement, I'll propose another one. If I'm wrong with Darlington (and I've a horrible feeling I am), I'll have another go when David tells me so!

I am a major city with 3 stations bearing my name. There are also numerous suburban stations. None of the lines in any of these stations is standard gauge, although two of the main ones are linked by a standard gauge street tramway.

Last edited:

Capybara

Just to confirm you are wrong with Darlington. There are two bay platforms, at least one of which is in regular use for Saltburn and Middlesbrough trains. Also, the station faces north and south although Middlesbrough trains ultimately head east. The avoiding line is also not freight only; non-stopping passenger trains also use it.

4SRKT

Established Member
Darlington was wrong.

The other challenge set sounds suspiciously like Manchester.

I thought Darlington was wrong :( I'm struggling I have to admit. Another clue?

My question is a bit of a curve ball (whatever that may mean): some might even say I'm breaking the rules. The main clue is the gauge thing.

Donny Dave

Established Member
I thought Darlington was wrong :( I'm struggling I have to admit. Another clue?

Hmm .... Let's see if I can add something without making it too obvious ....

I have 2 through platforms, 3 bay platforms and a goods avoiding line. The west facing bay has been lifted however, and the east facing bays are used to stable stock between turns.

The route to the east goes to a seaside resort (!?!), while heading west, the next big station is a major interchange.

You can also catch a train to a county capital from here, but this service goes via here, there and everywhere.

PS. Don't forget the challenge set by 4SRKT is still there to guess.

4SRKT

Established Member
I reckon it's not in the UK. Somewhere like Melbourne?

Right gauge, wrong country (a lot nearer home and somewhere many UK rail fans are familiar with).

I think the answer to David's question is Lincoln Central.

4SRKT

Established Member
Is it sunny Scunny? Can't remember the station layout as it's so long since I've been there. There is however a bizarre morning service to Lincoln via Doncaster, Sheffield and Retford.

4SRKT

Established Member
It is Scunthorpe, and the service isn't just in the morning, it's every hour!

Is it!? I thought the Lincoln service usually came through from Huddersfield, but as usual I'm a bit behind the times.

OK, next question.

I am a city with one railway station, situated just off a main line. In the past Inter City trains on this line used to call here by reversing, but they now avoid. The only Inter City service now is a train every two hours to thatLondon.

Wyvern

Established Member
I am a city with one railway station, situated just off a main line. In the past Inter City trains on this line used to call here by reversing, but they now avoid. The only Inter City service now is a train every two hours to thatLondon.

Did it once have a second station at which the expresses used call without having to reverse?

If so I'm thinking Gloucester

Wyvern

Established Member
Fond memories of Gloucester Eastgate.

On a Saturdays I would change from the Pines to the Devonian.

Slept one night on the big round waiting room table

EM2

Established Member
Seeing as I got Dublin right...

This town once had three stations but now has one, which is a junction for a secondary line and a branch.
One of the closed stations was at the end of another branch and there are plans for part of this branch to re-open.

Wyvern

Established Member
In the meantime:

This station was on a major express line from London, and initially it was a stop.

Now it is a terminus of a branch line.

Second station.

If it hadn't been for early railway rivalry this would have been a major stop on the same express line.

In the end it got two stations terminating two different lines, one of which closed in the 'sixties.

Death

Established Member
At a complete guess... <D
  1. Amersham - Former mainline rail station, but the RoW now carries the Metropolitain LUL line insted.
  2. Liverpool - Sounds to me like that refers to Lime Street and the now closed Central HL.

Wyvern

Established Member
Well they weren't the ones I was thinking of.

The two in the question were associated with the same original express main line

4SRKT

Established Member
So for number 1 we're looking for a major express line out of London, that is now only a branch line?

Hmmm.

The only thing I can think of is Aylesbury. But then the 'early railway rivalry' referred to in number 2 surely wouldn't have been an issue by the time the Great Central came along.

Wyvern

Established Member
Nope much further north.

It has figured in another very brief thread recently.

So for number 1 we're looking for a major express line out of London, that is now only a branch line?

Umm - most of the line is still a main line, but station 1 is on what has been cut back to a branch.

4SRKT

Established Member
Nope much further north.

It has figured in another very brief thread recently.

Umm - most of the line is still a main line, but station 1 is on what has been cut back to a branch.

Matlock! Number two is Buxton.

Wyvern

Established Member
Sorry I'd gone off the air.

Yes Matlock and Buxton are right

4SRKT

Established Member
Excellent.

I think the answer to EM2's question is Oxford.

My next poser:

I am a town with two stations. One of the two is adjacent to a junction, but has platforms on one of the two lines only. Both lines have through services to London, but to different termini. Both lines are electrified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.