• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Names that associate with jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Aside from the surnames of Constable or Sergeant, when I served in the police I worked with an officer who had the surname 'Law'.

CJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Aside from the surnames of Constable or Sergeant, when I served in the police I worked with an officer who had the surname 'Law'.

CJ

How embarrassing it would be, to be a police officer with the surname Lawless ...

D6130

Established Member
Remember a driver Driver back in the day. Chances are there may be one currently working. A mate whose surname was Beer worked in a pub for a while.
When I was an ASLEF rep back in the 1990s, there was a Driver Driver based at Cambridge, who was also a rep.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
My mum knows a retired firefighter called Burnside. Funnily enough, he used to get more stick about sharing his name with the legendary 'The Bill' character.

CJ

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
John Major got quite a major job, Prime Minister, despite actually being "Major Minor", his older brother was "Major Major".

Calthrop

Established Member
John Major got quite a major job, Prime Minister, despite actually being "Major Minor", his older brother was "Major Major".

Re my post yesterday about Major Major Major in Catch-22: I seem to recall that that character was well-meaning and self-effacing; but extremely dull, incompetent, and generally wet. John Major's detractors while he was PM, revelled in likening him to the guy in the book.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
When I was at secondary school I had an English teacher called Mr French! How ironic.

Although not his full time job, I know someone who is heavily involved in environmental campaigning who has a surname 'Green'.

CJ

StKeverne1497

New Scientist used to run a regular column on Nominative Determinism, particularly as it related to the names on scientific research papers. I would post a link but the NS site is behind a paywall.

Many surnames are, of course, based on occupations. The modern concept of a "surname" is relatively recent (Norman?), so there is a good chance that descendants of "Smith" still work in engineering, "Butchers" work in the catering industry and so on.

Around here we have a couple of good ones; there's Crook and Blight estate agents and Costley and Partners solicitors to name a couple.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had a Spanish teacher at school called Mr Madrid.

D6130

Established Member
When I lived in Petersfield, Hampshire, back in the 'seventies, there was a firm of solicitors in the High Street called Greedy & Greedy.

Shimbleshanks

My wife used to work for a logistics firm that was building a pipeline somewhere in central Asia with someone who was called...Steve Pipe

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
From the world of football:
Arsene Wenger when he was Arsenal manager, and Brighton & Hove Albion manager Graham Potter back when he played for Stoke City (The Potters).

gg1

Established Member
From the world of football:
Arsene Wenger when he was Arsenal manager, and Brighton & Hove Albion manager Graham Potter back when he played for Stoke City (The Potters).
Not as good as Wolfgang Wolf, former manager of Wolfsburg

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
General Alec Bishop of the British Army in Germany after 1945 was of course involved with the Religious Affairs Unit (RAU).
.. Johannes RAU was President of Germany, he was known as Brother Johannes because he often quoted from the Bible.
.. The presidential family kept a First Dog by the name of SCOOTER, he scooted off several times and the security guards had to try to find him.

Loppylugs

.. The presidential family kept a First Dog by the name of SCOOTER, he scooted off several times and the security guards had to try to find him.
My daughter has named her pug .... Fugly.... you can work that one out for yourselves!!

Just been watching the Chelsea Flower Show. Garden designer there called Hugo Bugg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.