• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
Yeh I saw that on the news when I was getting ready for school, one wonders why it tipped over :|.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It all seems a bit mysterious I must say. The first thing that sprang to my mind was reckless driving but it says that all coaches are fitted with a 62mph limiter. Is it possible to disable this? Could the coach have skidded on something, or had the brakes been applied too heavily?

It seems strange that the coach toppled - something must have triggered it, as something as stable as a coach can't just fall over!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Watching the BBC news this evening, it appears that the slip road, which featured a bend, had a 40 mph limit - so the bus could feasibly have been speeding. There are, of course, plenty of other possible reasons why it occurred. Hopefully the tachograph will give some answers.

Jim

Established Member
That was what I was thinking, excess speeds when driving double deckers round corners are not comfertable, 1 mistake & thats it (such as clipping the curb which has been indicated as happened)

Oracle

Established Member
I gather that the centre axle of the three has a steering facility? The press have suggested that drivers have been complaining about this aspect causing steering problems.

mbonwick

Established Member
it says that all coaches are fitted with a 62mph limiter. Is it possible to disable this?

Dead easy to do. Run a couple of wires accross it (wire it out), same with the tacograph (except add a switch this time lol)
You've just disabled the limiter and tachograph

(A car transporter firm had 1/2 its fleet impounded for this exact offence, and 'Trucking' magazine published an account..but only with similar detail)

Turbostar

It looks more than likely the driver was speeding. Apparently, as said in todays press, he was about 30min down on leaving Heathrow Airport due to the problems they've had there with the baggage, so could of been trying to make up time. Took the corner too quick, realised he was in trouble, tried to correct it, BAM! Also, they're looking at whether he fell asleep at the wheel. All possible causes are being looked into anyway, so we will have to wait & see.

Mart

Update from BBC 10 O'Clock News:

The manufacturer, Neoplan, have said all checks have been completed & no defects whatsoever have been found. Btw, the fleet are based not very far from me, Trathens in Burrington Ind. Est., Plymouth.

Update from ITV News at 10.30pm

Eyewitness says coach was going too fast round the said corner, & tipped over after failing to regain control.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hmm looks like speeding was to blame then. A motorway slip road with a 40mph limit...must be a very tight curve then for them to put such a low limit on it.

David

Established Member
The thing is, the coach toppled onto the drivers side. IF speeding was the cause, then the coach would have toppled onto the passengers side as it was going round a right hand bend.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Talking to my friend today, he said that it was reported that the driver could well have crashed into the curb - this would make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.