• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express loses East Anglia franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8380108.stm

National Express will have its East Anglia rail franchise terminated three years early, the government has said.

The Department for Transport said National Express would lose the franchise on 31 March 2011.

It could have been extended until 2014 had National Express not defaulted on another franchise - the East Coast Main Line - earlier this year.

National Express said the decision was "expected", but that it was "disappointed" by the announcement.

Transport Secretary Lord Adonis said the process for securing a new operator would start immediately so that a new franchise could begin in April 2011.

(rest of article in above link)

No decision has yet been made about c2c, but it would seem that logic tells you that will go too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Z12XE

Note errors in story

NXEA doesn't lose franchise - this was always the finishing date, the last three years were an optional extension, this simply hasn't been awarded.

One and NXEA were not different operators so it wouldn't have been 3 operators in 2 years.

attics26

thats why they lost East Coast at 2359 on the friday to block any hope of extending Anglia.

Correct G.E. Still, give the Government a chance to rake in the Olympics money before hoiking us off to the lowest bidder. Will they split up the various parts again? Who would want us? Also, the NXEA re-branding of the 321, 317 & 360s be just be finished by then. Will allow us to continue to run a eclecticly branded fleet once the new owners start slapping their stickers over NXEA decals or remove the vinyls back to First paintwork! Me uniform should need replacing by then too. Shame, quite like my off-white shirt. Hey-ho...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Those dispatch batons look cheap!

jon0844

Veteran Member
NXEA doesn't lose franchise - this was always the finishing date, the last three years were an optional extension, this simply hasn't been awarded.

True, but I presume lost it means they can't bid next time. Normally, they'd either get the extension for reaching targets or be able to re-bid.

Oswyntail

Established Member
So presumably there will be 18 months of management running down, dropping standards, financial cutbacks and general depressing motivation. What a way to run a railway:(

I've just told my colleague the good news, and we're both over the moon.
I'm sure the passengers will be pleased too. Everyday we get someone who says how **** NX are.

I wonder if Stagecoach or First Group will make another offer?

jon0844

Veteran Member
So presumably there will be 18 months of management running down, dropping standards, financial cutbacks and general depressing motivation. What a way to run a railway:(

Only 18 months? I thought that had been the case since National Express got the One franchise? :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The downfall of National Express - how they have gone from having the most franchises in Britain to having none at all!

Z12XE

Only 18 months? I thought that had been the case since National Express got the One franchise? :D

Yes, that started 1st April 2004! but to be fair when Dominic Booth was incharge the rate of decline slowed, then when NXEC joined the family it all went to hell.

Aictos

Established Member
Great news indeed, now lets say in theory that First didn't get the InterCity East Coast franchise as it went to another bidder in this example I'm going with Virgin or keeping it in house.

Now seeing as the decision at the time to award the Greater Anglia franchise to National Express was full of controversy as Anglia was twice awarded "Train Operator of the Year" and also "European Train Operator of Year 2000" and were popular with passengers plus First Great Eastern has also won "Train Operator of the Year" award.

Now I know that First brought out GB Railways who at that time owned GBRF and Anglia Railways in order to sucessfully bid for the franchise but if I can play devil's advocate, surely First should have won the franchise back in 2003?

Now it's come up for bidding, I can't see any issues preventing First putting in a winning bid for the Greater Anglia franchise as opposed to them taking on the InterCity East Coast franchise which would mean a monopoly on the majority of services from Kings Cross to Scotland as it would mean the ScotRail, Transpennine Express, Hull Trains, Capital Connect and InterCity all being operated by one company, now if First just got the Greater Anglia franchise then it's pretty much all self contained in the Anglia region and wouldn't mean a total monopoly on the East Coast as the ECML and GEML are two different routes.

So yes I do have to say I think it's ideal for First to come in and take over the Greater Anglia franchise IF they don't end up being successful for the InterCity East Coast franchise.

thefab444

Established Member
Not sure about EC - ideally would remain nationalised - but I'd like GE to go to either DB (presuming they bid), or Stagecoach.

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's really bad quoting mate! I didn't ask that as a question! You chopped off the first half of the sentence.

I know exactly that National Express had the One franchise, that was why I said what I did.

I thought that had been the case since National Express got the One franchise?

is quite different to

National Express got the One franchise?

Aictos

Established Member
National Express were the One Franchise.

One and NXEA were the one and the same (no pun intended :lol:).

Quite right, all NX did was to rebrand the franchise into one already well known brand ie National Express.

One wonders who could be successful next time round...

O L Leigh

Established Member
I've just told my colleague the good news, and we're both over the moon.
I'm sure the passengers will be pleased too. Everyday we get someone who says how **** NX are.

And what difference will it make to you, I and all the rest (punters included)? None.

Things won't improve for any of us just because NX aren't getting the franchise extension. If it's not this bunch of eejits it will just be another bunch, and then you'll get someone every day telling you how rubbish the new franchisee is.

What saddens me slightly is that the Government have clearly decided to run the railways on the basis of politics rather than service provision. I wish they'd stop playing silly games and start running the network as a transport system.

O L Leigh

tbtc

Veteran Member
Franchise to end when it was intended to? Not a major story, and no indication (yet) that National Express would be barred from tendering again.

Whoever wins the new tender, I hope there's some investment beyond just the Stanstead services and the replacement for the '90s to Norwich, as NXEA currently has some of the oldest stock around (West Anglia). Would also be nice if the "gaps" in the wires were resolved to allow things like London - Ipswich - Peterborough and London - Cambridge - Norwich to be EMU run.

Out of interest, is there any advantage to the franchise ending in 2011, e.g. does this tie in with Thameslink/ Crossrail/ East London Line (which may impact upon the East Anglia franchise)?

O L Leigh

Established Member
Franchise to end when it was intended to? Not a major story, and no indication (yet) that National Express would be barred from tendering again.

Indeed. But it's a detail too subtle for the media to grasp.

Whoever wins the new tender, I hope there's some investment beyond just the Stanstead services and the replacement for the '90s to Norwich, as NXEA currently has some of the oldest stock around (West Anglia). Would also be nice if the "gaps" in the wires were resolved to allow things like London - Ipswich - Peterborough and London - Cambridge - Norwich to be EMU run.

Rolling stock procurement and infrastructure upgrades are not the remit of the TOC's. That's all down to the DfT.

O L Leigh

jon0844

Veteran Member
With politics running things, I have no doubt that National Express would NOT get the franchise even if they were allowed to bid again.

I am sure that is the gist of the story; that National Express will firstly lose the franchise even if they had done everything they needed to do to get the automatic extension. If they then re-bid and won it, it would look rather stupid on the part of the Government.

Of course, there is the fact that the current Government is almost certainly NOT going to be in power by 2011 - so I may be proved wrong! There's also the possibility of legal action, although I am not sure on what grounds exactly, or whether National Express could afford the action.

Perhaps they'll just opt to give some large donations to the Conservative party ahead of the election and see if they're looked upon favourably in 2011...

delt1c

Established Member
National express knew what they were signinging up to when they tendered for the franchises , now they must respect the conditions of those contracts. As a nat ex commuter I will not miss themm, roll on 2011.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Now it's come up for bidding, I can't see any issues preventing First putting in a winning bid for the Greater Anglia franchise . . . .
. . . . then it's pretty much all self contained in the Anglia region and wouldn't mean a total monopoly on the East Coast as the ECML and GEML are two different routes.

So yes I do have to say I think it's ideal for First to come in and take over the Greater Anglia franchise IF they don't end up being successful for the InterCity East Coast franchise.
Good reasoning.
To quote further from today's announcement:-
[Dow Jones]The U.K. government said the process of finding a new operator for the East Anglia franchise would begin immediately so that the state doesn't have to run the lines. The process to find a new operator for the C2C franchise will start next spring.

Aictos

Established Member
Good reasoning.

Cheers, :)

At a guess, would First be able to use the old Great Eastern brand for the franchise or Anglia Railways but with the First at the beginning for the franchise or would they have to use a new name?

Still, would be interesting to see what the requirements from the DfT are in terms to the franchise.

dk1

Veteran Member
Now we just need the Cosmans to get enough shares & support to block the rights issue & that will really put the boot in.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Great news indeed, now lets say in theory that First didn't get the InterCity East Coast franchise as it went to another bidder in this example I'm going with Virgin or keeping it in house.

Now seeing as the decision at the time to award the Greater Anglia franchise to National Express was full of controversy as Anglia was twice awarded "Train Operator of the Year" and also "European Train Operator of Year 2000" and were popular with passengers plus First Great Eastern has also won "Train Operator of the Year" award.

Now I know that First brought out GB Railways who at that time owned GBRF and Anglia Railways in order to sucessfully bid for the franchise but if I can play devil's advocate, surely First should have won the franchise back in 2003?

Now it's come up for bidding, I can't see any issues preventing First putting in a winning bid for the Greater Anglia franchise as opposed to them taking on the InterCity East Coast franchise which would mean a monopoly on the majority of services from Kings Cross to Scotland as it would mean the ScotRail, Transpennine Express, Hull Trains, Capital Connect and InterCity all being operated by one company, now if First just got the Greater Anglia franchise then it's pretty much all self contained in the Anglia region and wouldn't mean a total monopoly on the East Coast as the ECML and GEML are two different routes.

Great post, totally agree.

The way FGE got treated was an absolute disgrace, always at the top of the performance tables, reigning train operator of the year and much more besides. The train service in East Anglia was much better in those days, and now for me it's at an all time low.

I know a few lads in Colchester who will be delighted at the news National Express are to lose it and not get extended, they'd be even more over the moon if First got it. Happen to have met Bob Breakwell and Dave Kaye, former FGE MD's myself in the past, both top blokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.