• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Railway Museum to "dumb down" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Justin Smith

Why do you think that you know better than anyone else about everything?

This is typical of the kind of personal comment that one sometimes finds on here, it's even worse on this forum than on most others, particularly when no personal comment has been made by myself against anyone, either at the NRM or on here. Even on other threads, one criticises rolling stock or train companies, and some people on here get personal. It's weird.

I never said I know what I'm doing all the time. Quite the opposite, I'm quite open about the fact I don't know all the answers and actually encourage my customers to comment on where we're going wrong.
So how can you say, or even imply, that I say I know better than anyone else ?
I think you should read what I actually write, not what you think I write.

On the other hand, just as I make mistakes in my business other organsiations make mistakes in their's, and the size of the organisation is no guarantee they're right.

And anyway, just because people never complain does not mean there isn't a problem......

Last edited:

Metroland

Established Member
Even on other threads, I criticise rolling stock or train companies, and some people on here get personal. It's weird.

Not really, you'd get the same reaction if you criticised someone's football team, the make of car they drive, where they live and so on. People have loyalty to things and they don't like sniping for no good reason.

I'm not taking sides, or saying you are wrong, but the results are obvious if people just roll out negativity for no good reason with little or nothing to back it up.

I said to someone in another thread, don't take it personally, the internet is full of it.

mumrar

Established Member
This is typical of the kind of personal comment that one sometimes finds on here, it's even worse on this forum than on most others, particularly when no personal comment has been made by myself against anyone, either at the NRM or on here. Even on other threads, one criticises rolling stock or train companies, and some people on here get personal.
You didn't have a go at anyone personally, but made a sweeping generalisation for those who think the NRM are right by saying 'Why do so many people think that large organisations always know what they're doing........'

If you're willing to attack peoples opinions, then you should prepare to have your own opinions attacked. I've merely asked what makes you think you know that by 'dumbing down' - your words for a more educating experience, is wrong? The NRM is not there for the benefit of enthusiasts, as there isn't much a knowledgable enthusiast needs to know, it serves as visual for them. But for anyone else, wanting to understand the very becoming of railways, and how they came to help accelerate a massive industrial revolution worldwide, then the museum has the ability to take visitors on a learning experience. That is so much better than just walking from train to train, each with a little info card infront of it.

Fred26

If it were just trains, I wouldn't bother going.
Trains themselves are quite niche and I think you'd struggle to find people wanting to look at just trains aside from spotters.

Geezertronic

Established Member
And anyway, just because people never complain does not mean there isn't a problem......

I sometimes wonder if the only reason you are on here is to debate your point of view to death at the expense of other peoples and advertise your own website. I have removed the URL link from my quote on purpose.

Justin Smith

I went to the NRM today and it was quite enlightening.
The first few people (on the main reception) I asked about the proposed changes didn't know half the stuff which is due to occur ! A bit of work on employee communications may be needed there I feel....
When I found someone who knew more about it, the thrust of the RWM report is correct but, if what I was told is right, it's a tad misleading. During the work only the Great Hall will be closed. The turntable might be boarded over "but may still be operational". Some of the removed locos may be kept on site but moved into the other hall, or even into an extension. The sectioned loco Ellerman Lines may well be removed from the Great Hall (which, interestingly, the chap I spoke to didn't really agree with either, so there's more than just me who thinks it's one of the most interesting exhibits there ! ) but should hopefully be kept on the site somewhere else. Ironically it hasn't worked (as in the wheels and motion turn) "for about a year, it need fixing". Surely that should be a fairly high priority ?

I have to say the museum was reasonably busy for a day mid week out of the school holidays, and everyone, including the women and children, seemed to be interested in the exhibits as they are.
If it ain't broke don't fix it ?

I received a very prompt and full reply to an E Mail I sent to Paul Bowers at the NRM, so some Brownie points to him I think, and he has more or less confirmed what I was told above.
The number of vehicles on display in the main hall will be reduced from 40 to 45 down to about 35.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.