• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Need abit of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Thinking about taking a trip down south and go for a few runs on some simuler version of my favorite trains in glasgow (class 314, 318 and 320) but love 2 try out the class 315, 317 and 321 and hav a rough idea were to start from (london liverpool street) but stuck for routes.
What would be the best route for eack of they units and what would be the best rover ticket to buy

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Right - you can do all three on a 1-6 day travelcard.

Class 315 - these operate the Shenfield Local services out of LST (along the GEML) your travelcard would be valid out to Harold Wood.

Class 321 - These operate many services along the GEML, including the Southend services - I'm not too sure on stopping patterns. Generally your travelcard would only be valid out to Stratford or Romford if they stop there.

Class 317 - these operate services along the WAML which isn't really my patch so I'd prefer not to advise incase I'm wrong :smile:

Hope this helps,

TP

4SRKT

Established Member
315s also operate to Cheshunt and Enfield Town, the latter service being entirely within the Travelcard zones. 317s operate local services to Hertford North and Cambridge. 317s and 321s also operate some services out of Kings Cross, but I'm not sure which are them and which are 365s.

i had a look at the 1-6 day travel card and had a look at the london maps and a notice theres a 1-9 day travel card if i purchase the 1 - 9 travel card duse that mean a can go futher out of london

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No, the 1 - 9 only really covers the outer parts of the Met Line and can only be bought from within that particular area. Even if you had one of those the rest of the place still has the zone 6 limit.

But if you get time I'd certainly suggest a quick spin out to Harrow on the Hill and back on the A stock, which you can do from Liverpool Street and Euston Square so it can easily tie in with your other bashing...

As for the 317s, yes you can get those on a travelcard between Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale; be careful outbound to check that Tottenham is listed on the departure board! The seats in the 317/6s aren't very good, but the 317/5s ( I think it is ) still have the original super-comfortable seats fitted ( as per the 318s originally ).

Is that 317 Is the cambridge service because thinking about takin the 317 out for a good bash full fair or not since its a favorite train and thats my main reason for coming down And Aye must agree with you about the old interior look better and miss the Comfert of the seats and looks so ny main reason for coming down is to have a good run on the class 317.
Class 315 and 321 are just a bonus

O L Leigh

Established Member
For a good thrash on a Cl317 try and get a semi-fast down to Cambridge and back. We get a good run once out past Bishops Stortford and regularly top 90mph on these trips. If you want to try a Cl315 you can jump out at Cheshunt on the way back, go over the footbridge and catch an all-shacks from the bay platform back into London via Seven Sisters.

O L Leigh

I might thought of a better idea or maeby no but saw the anglia rover ticket witch still gives a good run up to cambridge on a class 317 witch gives me a good excuse on they trains but instead of doin right into london could do the anglia plus but what goot trains are there in the angliaplus?

Last edited:

lemonic

Anglia Plus will mainly cover Classes 153, 156, 158 and 170 as well as 365 and 90/Mk3. Anglia Plus allows travel no further south than Ipswich on the Great Eastern Mainline or Cambridge on the West Anglia Mainline. There are some (but not many) 317 workings between Cambridge and Ely but that's it for 317's.

O L Leigh

Established Member
A lot of the WA services north of Cambridge have gone over the Cl379 operation and FCC only operate Cl365s over this route. If you want the EMU classes you are highly likely to be disappointed.

O L Leigh

12CSVT

Established Member
Since the 379s took over some of the Stansted diagrams, 317s can also appear on Cheshunt / Enfield Town / Chingford services alongside 315s, although it is a case of pot luck.

Well would like to do the london zone area but and I notice there is a lot of EMUs in london but I do have 1 issue is I herd some parts of london that are pritty rough areas worse than glasgow and because I'm scottish I would easyly get done in so that's why I thought that get the class 317 from london liverpool street to cambridge and do the anglia line but if I do decide to do london what areas should I avoid

O L Leigh

Established Member
Rubbish!! Don't be such a wuss.

London is fine and certainly no worse than parts of Glasgow. I've been to your home town, stayed in the city centre and used your local buses, and nothing bad happened to me. Don't believe the hype. Besides, London is full of Scots so you wouldn't be considered unusual.

O L Leigh

I do agree with you because I know a few scots who stay in london and i'm going there for good rail trashing specially the simuler older versions of the trains in glasgow because I cant get a good trash on them in glasgow because the class 380 took over and also try new EMUs that i've not being on so yip shouldnt be paranoide just because of garbage people tell me
[
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
are the 315s / 317s any good from london liverpool street - hertford east

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I do agree with you because I know a few scots who stay in london and i'm going there for good rail trashing specially the simuler older versions of the trains in glasgow because I cant get a good trash on them in glasgow because the class 380 took over and also try new EMUs that i've not being on so yip shouldnt be paranoide just because of garbage people tell me
[
are the 315s / 317s any good from london liverpool street - hertford east

Much the same as any suburban EMU, they are old, but almost all have been refurbished over the past few years. No tables etc, almost constant 3+2 seating, but comfortable enough.

As for London being rough, I think parts around Parkhead are much worse!
EDIT - 317/6 and 317/7s have 2+2 seating and tables, but I am not sure they are that common out to Hertford East, they tended to be on the Stansted Express services, but since the 379s have come along, I don't know about them now either...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I take it that the Hertford East trains go via Enfield Lock, in which case it'll be stopping every 3-6 minutes...

Last edited:

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hertford East trains, you mean.

If you want thrash take my original plan. Semi-fast to Cambridge and back and you'll get some good 70-80mph running most of the way with some 90mph sections thrown in. You won't get a better run on these units on the West Anglia lines. Hertford East services can briefly top 80mph a couple of times but usually run at about 50-60mph due to the stopping pattern.

O L Leigh

Think your original plan sounds better O L Light thanks

Just not sure weather to get the angliaplus rover or 1-6 travelcard
The anglia plus I know I got unlimited travel around the angliaplus zone but its mostly that we get in scotland part from the class 153
The 1~6 travelcard sounds good but not exactly 100% sure if its unlimited travel and aye there's a lot of EMUs to thrash

I know I need to pay £30 for a good thrash on 317 to cambridge but that would be worth it to travel 60miles on my favorite train but when the map showed me numbers 1-6 the travel
I get unlimied travel from zones 1 up to 6 and if I end up going past zone 6 I get fine of a penelty fair?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You would get penalty fared if caught - DO NOT RUN THE RISK!

Buy a Z1-6 Travelcard and buy an extension from the Zone 6 Boundary to Cambridge.

Well saved me a few quid there was just thinking about ticket from liverpool street ~ cambridge and with the zone 1-6 travelcard that allows me to travel in zone1, zone2, zone3, zone4 zone5, zone6 and any futher than that I'm in trouble.
Am I correct?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Well saved me a few quid there was just thinking about ticket from liverpool street ~ cambridge and with the zone 1-6 travelcard that allows me to travel in zone1, zone2, zone3, zone4 zone5, zone6 and any futher than that I'm in trouble.
Am I correct?

Any further than Zone 6 with no other ticket and you will be in trouble.

Ask when you buy your ticket (if it is on NR) for an extension from the Zone 6 Boundary to Cambridge :smile:

scotsman

Established Member
Well would like to do the london zone area but and I notice there is a lot of EMUs in london but I do have 1 issue is I herd some parts of london that are pritty rough areas worse than glasgow and because I'm scottish I would easyly get done in so that's why I thought that get the class 317 from london liverpool street to cambridge and do the anglia line but if I do decide to do london what areas should I avoid

(Roughly) Wherabouts are you from?

lemonic

You'll probably find it cheaper to get a ticket from London Liverpool St to Cambridge rather than from Boundary Zone 6, because you can get a routing 'NXEA Trains Only' which is cheaper than the 'Any Permitted'. The NXEA Trains Only routing is available on tickets from London Terminals but not from Boundary Zone 6.

Ok thanks for all the information gays

Think I should start planning the routes I want to do in the zones but will be doing liverpool street ~cambridge and its 9:30 the travel card zone starts from am I correct:?

Status
Not open for further replies.