• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Apprenticeships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LkToday

Hey guys i have a final interview alsO! I have applied for York so presume i will be going there. Anyone else applied for here? still awaiting a date though...:|

Dan_225

i would be based at the cowlairs depot in E&P but my interview is in motherwell bit random

Yeah that is a bit random, but it's still an interview doesn't really matter where it is, just keep your fingers crossed your successful. You quite confident?

quak_C

Yeah that is a bit random, but it's still an interview doesn't really matter where it is, just keep your fingers crossed your successful. You quite confident?

I was feeling quite confident before hand but now that i have a date im bricking it lol

quak_C

Yeah, I am a little too. How you preparing for it?

been reading like everything on network rails website also been on the rssb website looking at the rule book and stuff like that not really sure what else to do :/ you?

Dan_225

been reading like everything on network rails website also been on the rssb website looking at the rule book and stuff like that not really sure what else to do :/ you?

I've been concentrating on the questions they gave in the email, I've been on the website too. Apart from that I'm not sure what else to look into, the email about the interview didn't say much else :s

t o m

I doubt it if many are, probably very few. It's the apprenticeship scheme, I think the entry requirements were 4 GCSEs and you can start at 17.

Crossforth

Established Member
I doubt it if many are, probably very few. It's the apprenticeship scheme, I think the entry requirements were 4 GCSEs and you can start at 17.

I'm a sixth form leaver (or I will be on Friday), 18 years old and well exceed the 4 GCSEs required. :D

t o m

I'm a sixth form leaver (or I will be on Friday), 18 years old and well exceed the 4 GCSEs required. :D

A graduate is someone who went to university. I finished Sixth Form in 2008 and have been working since. I heard the majority of applicants are something like ages 20/21 and the oldest was 35.

Dan_225

Could you tell me what the questions are? I'm still awaiting my interview email. Thanks.

Here you are t o m, hope this is helpful, not sure what else will be involved in the interview :|

The aim of the interview is to find out more about you and your reasons for wanting to join this particular scheme. We will also be asking you about your experiences to date that you think are relevant to your application and which are important to us to be able to assess your suitability for this opportunity.

In particular you may want to prepare for your interview by thinking about the following areas:
  • your experience of taking responsibility
  • when you have had to learn something new
  • when you have had to organise something
  • when other people have had to rely upon you
  • how you will cope with working shifts and in all weathers
  • how you will get to work when working shifts
You may find it useful to think of specific examples in these areas that you will be able to discuss in the interview.

Overall, we will want to know why you want to be a Network Rail Engineering Apprentice and specifically your reasons for choosing your preferred area of work (Track, Signalling, Electrification and Plant, Telecoms, Mechanical Locking or Fleet). You should also consider whether this depot is going to be an acceptable distance for you to travel from home.

Many people find that by taking some time to prepare beforehand this helps to reduce any nerves and increases their confidence in the interview situation.

Friends or family may also be able to help you think of examples of your experience or even ask you mock interview questions so you can practice talking about yourself in this way.

The dress code for the interview is smart, rather than smart/casual as at the selection day, however do make sure you feel comfortable with whatever you decide to wear.

There is a lot of information on our website about the scheme. If you have not already seen this we strongly recommend you to the site, you will also find a lot of other information about the company that you may find interesting, (www.networkrail.co.uk/careers).

Hydro

Established Member
They're taking on Fleet apprentices now? I wish they had that when I was there!

Polomark

How long after receiving the email saying you had passed the assesment day did you get a email about the interview date?

Dan_225

How long after receiving the email saying you had passed the assesment day did you get a email about the interview date?

It was roughly a month, felt like forever though! My assessment day was on the 26th of April, when was yours?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They're taking on Fleet apprentices now? I wish they had that when I was there!

What exactly does fleet cover? I didn't notice any vacancies for it in Scotland. What area did/do you specify in?

Hydro

Established Member
Fleet normally refers to the National Delivery Service and the fleet of Network Rail on track machines and rolling stock. I don't know what the Apprenticeship can offer in this area, I thought all operation and maintenance is contracted out. Balfours do the Stoneblowers, RVEL maintain the Loram grinders and IM fleet...it may be something worth enquiring about. I chose Track engineering.

quak_C

I had to wait over 2 months from getting told I had one to actually getting the date im sure you will get your date soon tho :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fleet normally refers to the National Delivery Service and the fleet of Network Rail on track machines and rolling stock. I don't know what the Apprenticeship can offer in this area, I thought all operation and maintenance is contracted out. Balfours do the Stoneblowers, RVEL maintain the Loram grinders and IM fleet...it may be something worth enquiring about. I chose Track engineering.

if i remember correctly at the assessment day we were told fleet was just at one depot in York but that was all that was really said about it

i think anyway :/

t o m

Had my assessment on 18th March, found out that I got to the interview stage on 23rd March and been waiting for my interview date since then.

t o m

I've thought about it but I'm not too worried at the moment. I had another email saying that they are having a busy time arranging circa 650 interviews and that it will be sometime between May and July. So there are still two months of interviews to go.

waughtermelon

I have my interview tomorrow in Motherwell at 4pm.

For E & P position at Cowlairs.

Wish everyone luck who are attending the interviews :)

tom brav

i have my interview:
Date: 07 June 2011
Time: 13:00
Interviewer(s): Ian Willshire & Jack Ritchie
Discipline: Signals - Stockport

i am 17 years old and looking forward to it :) i was at:
Date: Thursday 7th April 2011

Time: 08.30 am

Venue: Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

91 London Road

Manchester