• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delbean

Hi all,
Finally after waiting months I have an interview date for a Track Operative at network rail. Does anyone have any info on the type of questions I may be asked? I heard they ask a lot about what you know about the company? Anything else I should be thinking about?
Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Hi all,
Finally after waiting months I have an interview date for a Track Operative at network rail. Does anyone have any info on the type of questions I may be asked? I heard they ask a lot about what you know about the company? Anything else I should be thinking about?
Many thanks!

I can't give you any specifics about interviews for that role, but I can tell you that in general, having been to a few, there's nothing particularly tricky or devious about the way Network Rail interview people. There won't be any stupid questions about what sort of animal you are or what your favourite colour is - it will all be based very much around what the job involves. Best prep you can do is make sure you're very familiar with the job spec, so you can pull out some good examples of when you've demonstrated the skills required.

Emphasise how you can work safely, and follow rules and procedures at all times, and you won't go far wrong. Throw in some more about the high level of investment in the railway and you'll do even better. Mention a couple of specific projects for good measure, preferably in your local area.

TomBoyd

Again, I'm not sure for that role, but I can take an educated guess that they'll revolve around the 8 Non-Technical Skills NR are so keen on these days.

Jimbotrain

Hey Delbean what was the eventual outcome did they ask what you knew about the company? or was it more just a sit down get to know you and make sure you are aware of the safety principles? any help would be great i got an interview next week for track maintenance operative! So excited!

Delbean

Hi,
No they didn't ask me anything about the company, every question was just about the 8 non-technical skills. Search them on the internet and get some good examples for each. I had my interview over five weeks ago now and I'm still waiting to hear from them, I've rang loads of times to see if a decision has been made yet and all they say is "It's still with the hiring manager." So annoying!

Jimbotrain

Well all the best for you its strange they are taking this long to decide i've found the 8 NTS so I'm now just gonna spend the next week or so learning them and preparing examples

Jimbotrain

So my interview is this week guys, any last minute things you can remember Delbean? sorry to pester but the better chance i have would just mean everything to me! any news from them as of yet Del?

TomBoyd

It's jut like any other interview. They're looking for a sensible, practical person. Use the NTS skills as your guide.

JIMbob99

Hi, i have an interview for operative track maintenance in a few days, not been for these type of interviews before, any clues on the types of questions they will ask would be most helpful, how long does the interview last, and what sort of questions should i be asking, really nervous first interview since leaving school, been a mechanic or last 25 years what to try something new.
any help much appreciated.

TomBoyd

Hi, i have an interview for operative track maintenance in a few days, not been for these type of interviews before, any clues on the types of questions they will ask would be most helpful, how long does the interview last, and what sort of questions should i be asking, really nervous first interview since leaving school, been a mechanic or last 25 years what to try something new.
any help much appreciated.

See above about the 8 non-technical skills. Use them as a guide of what to prepare.

JIMbob99

been doing some research on the 8 nts will i have to give examples for every one,and do they have to be just from your worklife. Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
jimbotrain , how did your interview go, any tips you can give, got mine in a few days. Thanks

TomBoyd

been doing some research on the 8 nts will i have to give examples for every one,and do they have to be just from your worklife.

1) That's how my interview went. 8 Questions. 8 Skills.

2) No, not necessarily.

JIMbob99

Thanks for your reply.
So my interview is this week guys, any last minute things you can remember Delbean? sorry to pester but the better chance i have would just mean everything to me! any news from them as of yet Del?

Hi, jimbotrain
how did your interview go did you get the job, any pointers/ tips would be much appreciated. thanks.

PAL3325

Prior to the interview stage I am at the on-line test position. Not done anything like this any advice on what I should brush up on ie Maths ect. Tests appear to be following instructions and DSI. Any advice appreciated I have seen there are companies out there willing to give you practice session at a price not sure if these are worth it or accurate on what is involved - cheers
Just read on a few more pages and I think I have come across the info I was looking for - Ta

TomBoyd

Yeah, anyone worrying about the assessments shouldn't.

If you're reasonably intelligent and switched on, you should be fine.

Tomnick

Established Member
...and if you have the right qualities for the job, which is of course the purpose of the assessments. There's certainly no need to worry, either way!

jim8970

A funny but curios question that I heard being asked between two strangers and it got me wondering too. IS THERE A WC IN THE SIGNAL BOX?

Tomnick

Established Member
Not necessarily in the box, but yes, there'll certainly be one in close proximity to it!

jim8970

Not necessarily in the box, but yes, there'll certainly be one in close proximity to it!

So if the signal person needs to go that means the box is left unattended, for safety I didn't think that would happen unless another operator is in the box as well.

Yabbadabba

So if the signal person needs to go that means the box is left unattended, for safety I didn't think that would happen unless another operator is in the box as well.

It's all a part of the job, learning how to manage your time effectively between signalling duties to take care of personal needs breaks.

carriageline

Established Member

No, it happens every day. Trust me. There isn't another operator for any single manned boxes. Like YABBER said, it's finding a suitable break to do it. Plus a toilet at the bottom of the stairs is hardly unattended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Funny I never thought about that but there must be a toilet :lol: Does the signalboxes have a kitchen too or is it just pot noodles?

carriageline

Established Member
Single manned boxes normally have a oven kettle microwave etc in the corner. Bigger multi manned boxes normally have a big fully equipped separate kitchen

TomBoyd

Single manned boxes normally have a oven kettle microwave etc in the corner. Bigger multi manned boxes normally have a big fully equipped separate kitchen

He's right! Our kitchen is huuuge!

Juzmabuck

Hi all,
Many thanks!

Hello I was wondering how your interview went for network rail for track operative and what questions did they ask you its just that I've got an interview for track operative so any help would be much apreciated thanks.

Hello I was wondering how your interview went for the role of track operative it's just that I've got an interview for track operative and I was just wondering what questions they asked you any info would be much apreciated thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.