• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail MOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,

I have an interview next week for a Mobile Ops Manager position with NR. The job ad says if successful you need to do a 7 week course in Leeds or Watford.

Does this 7 week course just cover signalling, with the rest of the required training done after this either on courses or on the job, or is the 7 weeks a MOM specific course? Also is the course residential?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
It is MOM specific but covers basic signalling and competences required for the role...and yes, you will be lodging M-F with weekends off.

Note sure if RIO is initially covered or a bolt on course at a later date.

Good luck anyway.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I usually end up working alongside MOMs at least once a week so the next time I'm at an incident with one I'll ask about the RIO training. Hopefully all the preparation and research I've done should stand me in good stead for the interview...

Thanks again.

Toots

Does this 7 week course just cover signalling, with the rest of the required training done after this either on courses or on the job, or is the 7 weeks a MOM specific course? Also is the course residential?

Thanks in advance!

Does it cover Signalling in great detail at all?...The MOM's job isn't specific to Signalling,indeed some MOM's have never been Signallers (or done the Signaller's course) although they are expected to cover boxes if they have.
I believe the course you are about to undertake covers such things as Bridge strikes,Rail defects,RIO,Pilotman working,Barrier attendant,Handsignalling and Points operating.In fact anthing that will get the job moving again after it has been stopped.Although as GB says you will possibly be given a knowledge of the basics of signalling,it will be very different to the Signaller's course.
Yes it will be residential unless you live 'on top of' one of the centres...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It will be Leeds as Watford training centre closed earlier this month.

Thanks for the info guys. What are the facilities at Leeds like? I've heard the accommodation in Hampshire for apprentices is pretty good, I guess it will be to the same standard for courses at Leeds.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You'll be in a hotel. At Watford, students stayed in the premier inn or Holiday inn express, so expect something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.