Network rail operative interview (signal mtce)

Shep19

Anyone able to give me a heads up on what to expect for an operative role interview? Any operatives currently working for network rail would be a great help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

I've never done an operative interview, but read up on the safety vision and lifesaving rules. Safety is key.

I'm a technician, but feel free to ask any questions you have about the role.

Yeahyou

I've never done an operative interview, but read up on the safety vision and lifesaving rules. Safety is key.

I'm a technician, but feel free to ask any questions you have about the role.
Hi I hope you don’t mind I see you said above feel free to ask any questions to shep19. I’ve recently applied for a technician job and still waiting to see if I’m successful in getting a interview. I’m really looking for some help to what sort of questions they would ask if I’m lucky enough to get an interview. Thanks.

alxndr

Hi I hope you don’t mind I see you said above feel free to ask any questions to shep19. I’ve recently applied for a technician job and still waiting to see if I’m successful in getting a interview. I’m really looking for some help to what sort of questions they would ask if I’m lucky enough to get an interview. Thanks.
I've never had an operative interview (my background has been apprentice > technician > acting team leader) so can't answer for certain, but in the recent interviews at ours I believe they did ask a couple of more technical questions and did seem pleased with the fact that some had showed they were keen by doing a little bit of background reading. In general though operatives aren't expected to know a great deal, although showing that you're keen to learn is always a good thing. Safety questions will certainly come up, so definitely read up on that side.

Yeahyou

I've never had an operative interview (my background has been apprentice > technician > acting team leader) so can't answer for certain, but in the recent interviews at ours I believe they did ask a couple of more technical questions and did seem pleased with the fact that some had showed they were keen by doing a little bit of background reading. In general though operatives aren't expected to know a great deal, although showing that you're keen to learn is always a good thing. Safety questions will certainly come up, so definitely read up on that side.
Hi do you know what sort of technical questions would be asked thanks

alxndr

Hi do you know what sort of technical questions would be asked thanks
I don't because I've a) never had an interview for that role and b) it's largely at the discretion of the hiring manager.

I know railway circuitry symbols and Ohms law have come up before in operative interviews, but that by no means means that you'll have similar questions.

Hi would you happen to know do you get extra pay for weekends or nights?
I think all contracts include a percentage for night and weekend work, but the rate at which this is paid depends on the specific terms and conditions (there are many different versions of the T&Cs dating back to when maintenance was privatised and then brought back in house).