• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network rail operative interview (signal mtce)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shep19

Anyone able to give me a heads up on what to expect for an operative role interview? Any operatives currently working for network rail would be a great help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
I've never done an operative interview, but read up on the safety vision and lifesaving rules. Safety is key.

I'm a technician, but feel free to ask any questions you have about the role.

Yeahyou

I've never done an operative interview, but read up on the safety vision and lifesaving rules. Safety is key.

I'm a technician, but feel free to ask any questions you have about the role.
Hi I hope you don’t mind I see you said above feel free to ask any questions to shep19. I’ve recently applied for a technician job and still waiting to see if I’m successful in getting a interview. I’m really looking for some help to what sort of questions they would ask if I’m lucky enough to get an interview. Thanks.

MT18

Shep19, I’m a current an S&T operative, so if you have any questions ask away.

alxndr

Established Member
Hi I hope you don’t mind I see you said above feel free to ask any questions to shep19. I’ve recently applied for a technician job and still waiting to see if I’m successful in getting a interview. I’m really looking for some help to what sort of questions they would ask if I’m lucky enough to get an interview. Thanks.

I've never had an operative interview (my background has been apprentice > technician > acting team leader) so can't answer for certain, but in the recent interviews at ours I believe they did ask a couple of more technical questions and did seem pleased with the fact that some had showed they were keen by doing a little bit of background reading. In general though operatives aren't expected to know a great deal, although showing that you're keen to learn is always a good thing. Safety questions will certainly come up, so definitely read up on that side.

Yeahyou

I've never had an operative interview (my background has been apprentice > technician > acting team leader) so can't answer for certain, but in the recent interviews at ours I believe they did ask a couple of more technical questions and did seem pleased with the fact that some had showed they were keen by doing a little bit of background reading. In general though operatives aren't expected to know a great deal, although showing that you're keen to learn is always a good thing. Safety questions will certainly come up, so definitely read up on that side.
Hi do you know what sort of technical questions would be asked thanks

alxndr

Established Member
Hi do you know what sort of technical questions would be asked thanks

I don't because I've a) never had an interview for that role and b) it's largely at the discretion of the hiring manager.

I know railway circuitry symbols and Ohms law have come up before in operative interviews, but that by no means means that you'll have similar questions.

Hi would you happen to know do you get extra pay for weekends or nights?

I think all contracts include a percentage for night and weekend work, but the rate at which this is paid depends on the specific terms and conditions (there are many different versions of the T&Cs dating back to when maintenance was privatised and then brought back in house).

Shep19

Any updates people? Change of interview for me now, it is now a face to face interview with social distancing in place.

TheOne1990

Is there more of a wait at the moment, due to Covid-19? I applied start of April and I am under consideration for interview, I have construction background, I’m currently operative doing highway maintenance. Is there anything specific they look for regarding previous work. Thanks.

NPB1131

I had my interview at the end of Feb, got the job and I'm still waiting to hear back for my medical assessment. It is a slow process, regardless of the pandemic. Just this is pro-longing it even more.

TheOne1990

I had my interview at the end of Feb, got the job and I'm still waiting to hear back for my medical assessment. It is a slow process, regardless of the pandemic. Just this is pro-longing it even more.
That’s quite a while to wait, how long did you wait from application to interview? Have you worked on the rail previously.

keihonsam

Is there more of a wait at the moment, due to Covid-19? I applied start of April and I am under consideration for interview, I have construction background, I’m currently operative doing highway maintenance. Is there anything specific they look for regarding previous work. Thanks.

For my case, everything is just normal. I also applied in early April and the closing date was around mid-end of April. Got an interview invitation in early May and just finished my interview last Wednesday. Normally, it will take 2-3 weeks time to invite you for the interview stage once the application is closed. For example, if the closing date for the application is 2 June, you will normally get an interview invitation around 15 - 26 June by email.

For the experience part, as long as you match all/most the essential requirements, you will become potential candidates.

TheOne1990

For my case, everything is just normal. I also applied in early April and the closing date was around mid-end of April. Got an interview invitation in early May and just finished my interview last Wednesday. Normally, it will take 2-3 weeks time to invite you for the interview stage once the application is closed. For example, if the closing date for the application is 2 June, you will normally get an interview invitation around 15 - 26 June by email.

For the experience part, as long as you match all/most the essential requirements, you will become potential candidates.
Thanks for replying, yeah I thought maybe it was taking awhile job closed 23rd April, I passed the assessment and it’s just sat at test complete ever since, I called recruitment they said I was with the hiring manager but I’ve heard no correspondence whatsoever, if it’s unsuccessful it is what it is but the lack of any information or acknowledgement is quite disappointing.

keihonsam

Thanks for replying, yeah I thought maybe it was taking awhile job closed 23rd April, I passed the assessment and it’s just sat at test complete ever since, I called recruitment they said I was with the hiring manager but I’ve heard no correspondence whatsoever, if it’s unsuccessful it is what it is but the lack of any information or acknowledgement is quite disappointing.

I totally understand the situation, but that's how the government department works - super slow. Just like some other said, they might be slower their process due to the pandemic. So just be patient, and I believe the good news will be coming soon :)

P.S. Just received an email today, telling me that I am the successful candidate :)

TheOne1990

I totally understand the situation, but that's how the government department works - super slow. Just like some other said, they might be slower their process due to the pandemic. So just be patient, and I believe the good news will be coming soon :)

P.S. Just received an email today, telling me that I am the successful candidate :)
That’s awesome pal, always good to hear good news during these difficult times! It’s my first application, from what I’ve read on here many people apply many times until they are successful. I haven’t been told I’m unsuccessful and I’ve reached the the hiring manager so I’ll take the positives from that! Have you worked on the railway before?

wardy365

sorry to jump on your thread mate ive applied for 2 track operative roles one is based in ipswich and the other is thetford/ely

Shep19

I had my interview yesterday, was very laid back few standard questions nothing technical now back to the waiting game....

Chrisy89

Does anyone know if Medicals can be done now? I have got a job of operative , signed contract etc But medical will hold it back as not sure if anywhere is open for them yet

Shep19

Medicals are back on as far as I’m aware, seen in other posts, how long did it take for you to hear you was successful after your interview? Congrats!

Last edited:

Sam11

No still got 7 applications some at test completed after 2 months and the rest at under consideration for assessment 2 aaaahhhhhhh!

Daveyboy2407

I had a change from 'test complete' to 'under consideration for assessment 2' also 1 on assessment complete' whatever that means as I haven't had an interview ??

Sam11

I had a couple a while back saying assessment complete and just as I thought could it finally be an interview I got the dreaded email saying more suitable candidate identified.
I would love more feedback as to why they are more suitable could be a real help as to anymore I could be doing

jayimmediata

I had a change from 'test complete' to 'under consideration for assessment 2' also 1 on assessment complete' whatever that means as I haven't had an interview ??
I had an email asking if I was still interested in the role and that recruitment would be starting again soon. I have been sat on consideration for assessment 2 since 31st March so hopefully hear something soon

Status
Not open for further replies.