• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

network rail staff privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverLune

hi folks. just wondering if anyone could tell me if new staff for network rail are entitled to any privileges these days, as in reduced price travel? i've been offered the chance to move to network rail, and haven't heard this mentioned.

thank you in advance folks :D

river lune

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
hi folks. just wondering if anyone could tell me if new staff for network rail are entitled to any privileges these days, as in reduced price travel? i've been offered the chance to move to network rail, and haven't heard this mentioned.

thank you in advance folks :D

river lune

None - Other than a season ticket loan unless you transfer in with protected travel rights

rstmart

I don't get Priv travel but do get a travel subsidy better than a poke in the eye ....:D

You can claim subsidies of up to 75% (maximum £2,250) on rail and Underground season tickets (excluding those who qualify for safeguarded travel or other discount).

Regards

Rich

carriageline

Established Member
You can get a season ticket loan for buses and the like, as well as car parking! , you can get an interest free for the season ticket, which is tax free upto £10000. you pay it back over 10 months out of your salary.

You can also get a subsidy of 75% up to a max of £2250 for a year season ticket, which is taxable.

As an aside, if you work on the Wessex route you will get a TOC pass entitling you to free travel on south west trains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Planner

Veteran Member
Make sure you tell the tax office straight away otherwise they slap you with a double hit on the season ticket the next year, your tax code will drop to something like 550L, but like other people have said we get naff all really.

Grafter

Also as a Network Rail employee, you’ll be entitled to a large range of benefits, including:

Subsidised rail travel (75%, up to £2,250 maximum) on rail or underground season tickets.
Interest free travel loans which applies to season tickets for trains and car parks.
28 days annual leave plus ability to buy or sell two days per year.
A standard company bonus scheme.
Pension scheme membership.
One of three contributory pension schemes.
Various charitable giving schemes, including company contributions.
And a number of other benefits, such as free counselling, childcare vouchers, and volunteer leave.

Network Rail Rewards and Benefits

The Planner

Veteran Member
I didnt think we could sell annual leave anymore, only bank it for 3 years time? The rest are still a bit "meh", you need to wait 5 years to get into the RPS and 10 years to get 30 days annual leave.

carriageline

Established Member
Well those on role clarity contracts can buy and sell, it seems the rest of us are forgotten about!

Question - why do Network rail staff not get free train travel? I find this very surprising because if there was no Network rail staff there would be no trains. :lol:

carriageline

Established Member
Question - why do Network rail staff not get free train travel? I find this very surprising because if there was no Network rail staff there would be no trains. :lol:

I imagine it's because they don't actually run any trains, therefore it's not their travel to give away so to speak.

GB

Established Member

Pretty much for the same reason Freight staff don't get travel entitlements (unless safe guarded) and that's becuase there is no reciprocal agreement. What could Network Rail offer the TOCs in return for free travel?

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
What could Network Rail offer the TOCs in return for free travel?

££££, I don't think it has ever been said how much it would cost to do it. I wouldnt expect free travel across the board or boxes, residential travel would be a big bonus.

carriageline

Established Member
Priority over other TOCs over junctions [emoji23]

GB

Established Member
Lol, I had a feeling when I posted that I'd get some smart-alec answers :lol:

Makkaby

Could anyone give me the heads up on Career Progression within NR?

If for example someone entered at Operative level ( track / signalling maintenance), are there prospects for internal progression and what would be a likely next step up following a maintenance role?

rstmart

Makkaby
I would say good however I would caveat that with you need to be ‘qualified’. I'm not talking just experienced but 'paper' qualifications. There are NR sponsored courses for Project Management, Signal Design etc, track design etc but all require varying levels of academic qualifications, intense competition for places means that the 'bar' is high!

'Likely' roles after maintenance could be in Project Engineering or Operations but there is nothing stopping someone going into any of the other disciplines / departments e.g. , Civils, E+P, Asset Management, HR etc as long as they are 'qualified' for the job role.

Also if you are flexible in where you are prepared to work / live, relocate opportunities for progression will be enhanced.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Out of interest what happens to Network Rail staff that need to travel as part of the course of their duty? eg a NR staff that needs to say work at Paddington and Liverpool Street.in one shift.

carriageline

Established Member
I don't know of many people who would work at 2 stations like that. But normally when someone has two work at 2 locations, they are normally provided with a car or vehicle. I have seen MOMs with some sort of travel permit for when on journeys to use on trains.

If we have to travel for a course or something a full price ticket is provided (normally)

But then again relief signallers who cover multiple boxes have to make their own way to boxes that are not their 'home' box(but get paid a premium for doing so)

Last edited:

Marklund

Could anyone give me the heads up on Career Progression within NR?

If for example someone entered at Operative level ( track / signalling maintenance), are there prospects for internal progression and what would be a likely next step up following a maintenance role?

In the signalling side, on maintenance, there's progression within the teams, to technician and team leader. You'll need a bit of experience to be a team leader though.

There's other paths to take, including moving to teams who install small scale renewals.
Keep an eye on the Intranet vacancy list.

Obviously they are the most common forms of progression within the on track maintenance.

If you want to sell out for a Role Clarity job somewhere in the organisation, that's open to you as well. Just don't look for decent Ts&Cs there!

matt_world2004

Established Member
It seems a bit petty and counter to the organisations business objectives to not allow NR staff free travel on the rail network for work purposes. I can understand not allowing residential and recreaional travel but I would have thought NR staff would have complete access to the network they are working on for the purposes of work. (Appropriate to the or level of training) something like a rail access permit.

carriageline

Established Member
I can't say if they do or don't for definite. I have seen gangs of Pway on the train (for what reason I don't know) in full Orange and head hat. And I think some MOMs may get a permit.

Clip

Established Member
And sometimes you just get nice staff from the TOCs who will allow them to do so regardless if they are in uniform.

Its a **** situation but until NR decide to pay the TOCs for the travel then its not going to happen for their staff Im afraid.

TomBoyd

I travel a lot in my orange jacket, and most ticket inspectors pass me by. I've never taken advantage of this (because I'm an obsequious rule-follower), but it's kinda nice to feel that generosity.

rstmart

If you want to sell out for a Role Clarity job somewhere in the organisation, that's open to you as well. Just don't look for decent Ts&Cs there!

Bit harsh mate ! :cry: not everyone starts in maintenace with NR; so they have no choice with regards to being on role clarity

Marklund

Granted. Yet It is true for those who do go from decent conditions to role clarity.
And Ops is the same.

I'm sure NR would love us all to be on Role Clarity contracts!

The Planner

Veteran Member
They will get there in the end. Once ERTMS and TMS comes in to a greater extent I can imagine the signallers will be next on the hit list.

carriageline

Established Member
They will get there in the end. Once ERTMS and TMS comes in to a greater extent I can imagine the signallers will be next on the hit list.

I'm not sure it would quite work us being on Role Charity, but I know we won't be on our T&Cs in these new places. As you say, once Traffic Management is in full stream we can expect a 'modernisation'. Dispatched anyone? :lol::roll:

rmt4ever

"And a number of other benefits, such as free counselling, childcare vouchers, and volunteer leave."

Are they really selling that as a bonus? "Yes witness a fatality and get FREE counselling, nothing to do of course with us wanting you back at work ASAP"

Status
Not open for further replies.