• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Brent Cross West (Thameslink) station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I've moved these comments from the New Station Calendar thread, now that this thread has been re-opened.

One of the annoying things of modern life is the inability of organisations to fess up to delays, even after a deadline has passed. I just did an internet search and everything refers to December 2022. The formal website has a construction update (16 August 2022) which successfully manages not to mention a completion date at all. Details including pictures here.

Progress in Pictures: Station fit out begins
August 16, 2022

The Brent Cross West station is edging closer to completion with station ‘fit out’ beginning.

Following our last news update in May, the roofing has been completed to the concourse and overbridge areas, and the cladding panels are nearly all installed on the walls. As areas have become watertight, teams have even started fitting out some of the station offices, painting internal walls, and installing lighting. Moving to fit out stage is an exciting new stage of the build.

Residents visiting retailers on the west side of the railway lines, may have noticed the grey structural steelwork to the western entrance building on Geron Way appearing in the last few weeks. Since its completion, the internal concrete stairs have also been cast, to provide access from the western overbridge down to ground level. This is also a significant project milestone, linking the new station to street level on the east and west sides of the railway for the first time. Once the station opens the new overbridge will provide access to residents living on both the east and west side of the tracks 24-hour access from the retail park, to the new Claremont Park and retailers on the Brent Cross Town development.

Down on the platforms, teams have been busy working day and night during ‘weekend possessions’ when no trains are running, with cranes lifting in steelwork for the canopies on the platforms, and the staff accommodation building. These crane lifts will continue into October when the waiting rooms and large canopies on the platforms will be completed. A clever scaffold design by VolkerFitzpatrick has meant our construction partners can install the cladding and lighting on some of the platform canopies during the day without the need for a railway possession, reducing the night-time and weekend working on the station.

The final touches are also being made to the platforms, with coping stones and tactile pavement now completed.

On the eastern side of the station, the roof glazing and lifts have been installed. and the wall cladding to the west of the building is also well underway. This entrance will provide the gateway to Barnet’s new park town, Brent Cross Town, and visitors to Claremont Park will see the towering timber frames of the building. In it’s final state, the north, south, and east of the building will remain unclad as future plans mean the entrance will be nestled in-between the development’s first office buildings.

Over the coming months, the final touches to the western entrance of Brent Cross West station will be completed with a mix of glass and brick cladding which will be supported by a steel framing. This new phase of construction also offers even more opportunities for us to support the local economy with jobs and skills, through our pledge to ensure at least 20% of our workforce are from Barnet, Brent or Camden.

Elsewhere on the same website here:
Current works update:
  • The main construction works to build Brent Cross West are expected to be completed by December.
  • Finishing works may continue into the new year, as well as construction activities to complete the public areas around the station.
  • We are working with our rail partners to agree an opening date for the station which will be shared with residents once finalised.
  • You’ll find the latest images, and drone footage of the station construction on our news pages.
A works schedule shows activities continuing over the Christmas & New Year period.

Class2ldn

The station has been put in on diagrams but it clearly says at the top do not stop, its because I believe they are anticipating it opening before the next timetable change in 2023 , whether it does or not remains to be seen lol

Recessio

Absolutely no way it's opening in December its still a building site
Agreed. Remember they were saying Crossrail was gonna open in 2018 even when it was blindingly obvious it wouldn't as basically none of the stations were finished yet

Ladder23

Established Member
Walked through the station just a few moments ago and there's a way to go, interesting to see as the last time I was here it was very very early stages!

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Doesn't look like it's opening anytime soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_122348.jpg
    IMG_20221220_122348.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20221220_122346.jpg
    IMG_20221220_122346.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 262

miklcct

On Moderation
Any estimated opening date? I need to take this into consideration for a flat near to the station.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Any estimated opening date? I need to take this into consideration for a flat near to the station.

I shouldn’t let the opening date affect your flat choice. The station is less than a mile from each of Hendon, Cricklewood and also Brent Cross LU, so if you’re there a couple of months early (which will get you a better deal) it will be at most an extra 15 minute walk, and most likely less.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I shouldn’t let the opening date affect your flat choice. The station is less than a mile from each of Hendon, Cricklewood and also Brent Cross LU, so if you’re there a couple of months early (which will get you a better deal) it will be at most an extra 15 minute walk, and most likely less.
If you're on the west side of the station, that could easily mean a 15 minute walk turns into a 30 minute walk!

According to Brent Cross Transformed latest Construction Newsletter:
Construction works on the public areas around
the western entrance are due to start in February.
Initial works will include site preparation, and minor
excavations for the footway and the passenger drop
off bay. More details will be provided to residents on
the west of the station ahead of construction starting.

We expect the station works to be completed early in
the new year. There will then be a period of testing
and commissioning by our rail partners before we
can open the station. We are working with our rail
partners to agree an opening date which will be
shared with residents once finalised.
Brent Cross Transformed newsletters

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
If you're on the west side of the station, that could easily mean a 15 minute walk turns into a 30 minute walk!
Yes, the flat I'm looking at is about 600 m southwest of the new station, and all of Cricklewood, Hendon, Brent Cross, Dollis Hill and Willesden Green are outside 1 km radius from the flat and I'll have to rely on my bike or take an expensive bus to reach the station.

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes and you will be able to use the foot bridge to cross over without going through a gateline
That footbridge will be a massive benefit for the area, as the railway line is a real barrier there.

Ladder23

Established Member
Has the site for the new waste transfer station been started yet as part of this whole modernisation for the area

A0wen

On Moderation
Yes, the flat I'm looking at is about 600 m southwest of the new station, and all of Cricklewood, Hendon, Brent Cross, Dollis Hill and Willesden Green are outside 1 km radius from the flat and I'll have to rely on my bike or take an expensive bus to reach the station.

Since when was £ 1.65 "expensive" - because that's what a TFL bus fare for that journey would be (assuming pay by Contactless or Oyster).

miklcct

On Moderation
Since when was £ 1.65 "expensive" - because that's what a TFL bus fare for that journey would be (assuming pay by Contactless or Oyster).
£1.65 for a 1.59 km journey turns up to be more than £1 / km, which is extremely expensive in my view.

ChrisC

Established Member
I was thinking exactly the same when I read that a couple of days ago. Bus in London only £1.65 and probably reasonably frequent too. The bus from where I live to my nearest station is £3.20 single for a journey of less than 2 miles which can be walked in about 30 minutes. The current £2 bus fare is a bit more realistic. The bus runs hourly leaving a 45 minute wait for the train! That's another reason why I walk.

Supercoss

Latest word from site is that slow line 'Island' platform will be made available for May timetable change with associated East / West footbridge access whilst fast line 'Island' will be introduced at a later date which in normal runnig makes sense with no booked fast line platform use other than overnight engineering closure of slow lines or during disruption at other times when slow lines not availanle
Work is continuing uninterrupted through industrial action dates as it's still a building site all be in inbetween the tracks

228 new Jan 23.JPG

absolutelymilk

Established Member
£3 a day five days a week soon adds up when you're already paying for the train, not to mention huge amounts in rent!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
£3 a day five days a week soon adds up when you're already paying for the train, not to mention huge amounts in rent!

Except if you’re using the train or tube from Zone 3 to/from Zone 1, you’d be hitting the daily cap before spending all the bus fare money.

However I really don’t get it. The journey to Cricklewood or Dollis Hill can’t be more than a 20 minute walk, compared to wha5 will be a 6-8 minute walk to Brent Cross West. It seems a lot of fuss is being made for the sake of an extra 20 minutes or so walk per day for a few months.

class717

Latest word from site is that slow line 'Island' platform will be made available for May timetable change with associated East / West footbridge access whilst fast line 'Island' will be introduced at a later date which in normal runnig makes sense with no booked fast line platform use other than overnight engineering closure of slow lines or during disruption at other times when slow lines not availanle
Work is continuing uninterrupted through industrial action dates as it's still a building site all be in inbetween the tracks

View attachment 126544
It doesn’t necessarily need to wait on a timetable change as the stop is already in the working timetable as of December, and the 700 PIS ASDO was updated for Brent Cross West in time for December too