• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Brent Cross West (Thameslink) station

Mikey C

Established Member
I took a detour on my Friday evening commute to see Brent Cross West. There were just two of us alighting at ~6.15pm. Despite having seen the photos and blogs/vlogs, nothing really prepared me for the impressive scale of the station - it's vast!!

The oyster app records my journey ending at "Unknown" :)
The structure is large, but then it also operates as a public crossing of the railway. Indeed I wonder how the station will operate at night, will the lifts and escalators still be in operation, and will it be guarded to prevent rough sleepers using it etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
West London Orbital

Of course! Thanks. (Though if the Hendon Lines are the ones on the west, is there really room for another platform there without more track changes?)

And if such an orbital service were established, where would it actually run to going north from Brent Cross West?

Last edited:

Thirteen

The structure is large, but then it also operates as a public crossing of the railway. Indeed I wonder how the station will operate at night, will the lifts and escalators still be in operation, and will it be guarded to prevent rough sleepers using it etc?
I would guess they'd shut off the escalators, lifts I'd imagine they'd keep on for accessibility reasons.

Not sure you'd get many if any rough sleepers at BCW, it's pretty isolated.

I went to visit it yesterday and thought it was impressive although much like Barking Riverside, there's not much in the surrounding areas.

class717

The escalators were on at 3am a couple nights ago, they drop into a basically stopped state though before you get on. Worth noting that all the stations along this route are 24/7 and seem to have handled the issues above, although most others are smaller.

Mikey C

Established Member
The escalators were on at 3am a couple nights ago, they drop into a basically stopped state though before you get on. Worth noting that all the stations along this route are 24/7 and seem to have handled the issues above, although most others are smaller.
With the other stations along the route, most of the structure is within the gateline though, which isn't the case for BCW.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I passed through the area today so popped in to take a look. Very spacious, good layout to achieve a 24/7 through route for passengers and maintain the integrity of the gateline. My local station (Stevenage) could do with this layout and amount of space.

One escalator was out of order. Not sure why the lift on the Barnet side needs to stop at the intermediate level, is something going to be added on this level at a later date? Observed people (adults not chavs) cycling across the bridge! Suspect rough sleepers/other undesirables taking shelter on the bridge could become an issue.

Residential units going up nearby so once these are built it will become busier. In many ways it reminded me of Meridian Water.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I was of the understanding it was intended to terminate at West Hampstead and Hendon?

Are there any disused stations around Neasden or Dudden Hill which could be re-opened to provide a more useful service in that area (if the passenger link was ever opened!)??

Basil Jet

On Moderation
In this picture of Sunil's...

p2760900-jpg.148326

... you can see what greets you as you turn off the footbridge to the station. Times for the next dozen trains, but no indication of the current time. There is no clock visible on a side wall either. Is this a deliberate policy to stop people running, or just an oversight? I know most people have a watch or a phone, and when you get down to the platforms the next train indicators do tell you the current time, but to present encyclopaedic knowledge of train times at the entrance without presenting the current time seems bizarre. Maybe a nice physical clock was in the initial spec but it got value-engineered away without anyone rethinking the above displays.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not having a clock is a major oversight!

The other thing I noticed is the frosted glazing on the overbridge. Can't say I like it but ut does seem to be the fashion these days.

SynthD

Not sure why the lift on the Barnet side needs to stop at the intermediate level, is something going to be added on this level at a later date?
It will be first floor access to a future college building.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not sure why the lift on the Barnet side needs to stop at the intermediate level, is something going to be added on this level at a later date?
I attempted to answer this in post #224 a few weeks ago, there will be future buildings that completely surround the east side entrance, and there will be entrances at that level. There’s a link to architects drawings etc.

Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
Not having a clock is a major oversight!

The other thing I noticed is the frosted glazing on the overbridge. Can't say I like it but ut does seem to be the fashion these days.
Do you mean in the roof? It’s a popular choice because it fits with commitments to reduce energy use by using daylight rather than artificial lighting, but because it’s frosted it’s less obvious if it’s dirty so they don’t have to bother cleaning it often.

jon0844

Veteran Member
How long is it going to take for Brent Cross Town to be finished? Is it all going to plan (unlike Meridian Water)?

As I said above, it's great to see we're building infrastructure in advance of demand (let's do more of this), but I do feel the station is going to be very empty for some time.

I won't be rushing there to walk to the shopping centre (a horrid walk), although the park in BCT is very nice and there's a great play area for kids (and a very nice Christmas tree). I suppose popping to the retail park on the west side might be doable though. Yes, you can get a bus of course but it seems a bit much to pay £1.50 each way when it is so close.

Mikey C

Established Member
I passed through the area today so popped in to take a look. Very spacious, good layout to achieve a 24/7 through route for passengers and maintain the integrity of the gateline. My local station (Stevenage) could do with this layout and amount of space.

One escalator was out of order. Not sure why the lift on the Barnet side needs to stop at the intermediate level, is something going to be added on this level at a later date? Observed people (adults not chavs) cycling across the bridge! Suspect rough sleepers/other undesirables taking shelter on the bridge could become an issue.

Residential units going up nearby so once these are built it will become busier. In many ways it reminded me of Meridian Water.
That escalator was out of order last Monday, so I imagine it's been out all week!

H&I

I wonder how many people are using Brent Cross West to go to Wing Yip? The station has direct Thameslink services to and from Sutton, which has a substantial Hong Kong community.

eternalflame

I wonder how many people are using Brent Cross West to go to Wing Yip? The station has direct Thameslink services to and from Sutton, which has a substantial Hong Kong community.
The Croydon store is nearer to Sutton so I believe they won't. And yes I have heard Hongkongers going to Cricklewood Wing Yip by train.

Sunil_P

Yeah, the Brent side escalator wasn't working when I visited last Monday!

But slightly nearer my way: Beam Park are you watching? :lol:

NSE

Established Member
Went straight through on Thursday on my way to St. Albans, first time with it open. Seemed very quiet. I counted about 4 people in the platform on the way up and 7 on the way back. It is, of course, the week leading up till Christmas, so lots of people not at work, and it was during the day, so not rush hour times, but I was expecting to see more than that. Could someone confirm they’ve seen it busier?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Coming through yesterday, I saw two people at the end of the platforms (London end) that looked like they were taking filming. I wonder what the ratio of locals/commuters is to people visiting to admire the station itself and photo/film it?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Mrs BR popped into London on a train thst called there this week. Middle of the day, 4 on and (more surprisingly) 4 off. I suspect thst it has already overtaken Reston!

baz962

Established Member
Was working in Cricklewood sidings all night. Not a single person every time I was alongside.

Dave W

Definitely one for the future. The council were very excited about this work completing and it's a key cornerstone of the wider project.

Best of luck to them - no doubt in a decade we'll be moaning about how under capacity it all is :D

NSE

Established Member
I totally get safeguarding for the future, very wise and something I’ve always supported as a mindset. Just surprised it seems so quiet so far.