• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New build warship class 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
Stuck them on The Southern then. And unusual for any Warship to be at Weymouth, I never saw one there. Hymek country for the WR in the 1960s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EveningStar

I've been digging in my slide collection again, I think this might be an appropriate time to post this....

Thinking likewise, from 1977. Not quite as good a photo, although posted as shows somebody was making an attempt with a little bit of paint to protect D601 from deterioration, plus there is a tantalising glimpse of D6122. Cannot give you identify of steam locos in front and between. 'Driver', younger brother, in photo actually went on to become a driver.
1977C053 09081977.jpg

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thinking likewise, from 1977. Not quite as good a photo, although posted as shows somebody was making an attempt with a little bit of paint to protect D601 from deterioration, plus there is a tantalising glimpse of D6122. Cannot give you identify of steam locos in front and between. 'Driver', younger brother, in photo actually went on to become a driver.
View attachment 68474

No, that shot is priceless!....thanks for posting this. When you consider this is 4 years or so later than mine D601 does appear to be in slightly better cosmetic shape after somebody's attempts at a spot of tlc. Your shot also really seams to portray the huge bulk of these locos, your brother looks so tiny leaning out of the drivers cab side window lol!

JKF

Real shame those were lost. With a little more luck we could have had those two, plus a class 22 (at the expense of a warship which was provided as a replacement*), a blue Pullman, Falcon and maybe a baby Deltic. There’s been a few near misses in diesel preservation, though at the same time we’re quite fortunate to have saved a unique class 17 and 28 amongst others.

*D821 was provided as a replacement loco to BTG when class 22 D6319 was accidentally scrapped despite being earmarked for preservation - however I’d speculate that had this not happened and the warship scrapped instead there might have been greater motivation to save D818 Glory which was cut in 1985, so we might still have ended up with two warships.

Last edited:

Stuck them on The Southern then. And unusual for any Warship to be at Weymouth, I never saw one there. Hymek country for the WR in the 1960s.
Judging by the photo's I've seen, Warships were not uncommon at Weymouth, at least in summer. They appear to have had regular turns via both routes at one time or another and were certainly regular on the Bristol - Weymouth line in their last couple of years on a passenger turn that involved two return trips..

Around 20 years ago I had a photocopy of South Western Division D800 diagrams from c.1966 and they included several turns aside from the expected Waterloo - Exeter turns, much of it freight.

EDIT: Here's one phot I've found https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859...XP-5fWggT-dC6Cad-5fWfHH-25aRy32-5g1vAu-5fWi2M

And another: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48862732@N02/6764744587/in/photolist-biM5Tn

And yet another: https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8571814705/in/photolist-e4sMSH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.