• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New London Routemaster buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm not trying to be difficult but lots of people (a) have memories which work and (b) aren't frequent visitors of London (or in fact, never go there at all). I think for most "older" people, seeing an RM in London reminds them of how buses used to be, rather than obliterating their folk memories. :)

Most older people (like most younger people) aren't bus enthusiasts so are unlikely to remember what the model was that they used to travel on - as with most passengers today - ask them what make the bus they caught this morning was and most wouldn't know, never mind one from years ago.

And most bus types weren't the icon that the Routemaster became. I've seen people refer to random AEC buses as routemasters before now...

I was not suggest senility for those over the age of 40 - just that for most they have no more than, at most, a passing interest in buses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Has it had problems? I'm not a fan but I've seen it in operation a few times.

Well lets just say that the original timetable for having eight in service has long past.

Currently only one is in service, i beilive the code given to the vehicle is LT and the one that is in service is LT2. LT1 went back to the manufacturers and LT3 has still not been delivered. Not even sure if LT4 to LT8 have been built yet.

Dates for having at least two running has been put back at least 5 times and is now being given a date sometime in the middle of April.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Well lets just say that the original timetable for having eight in service has long past.

Currently only one is in service, i beilive the code given to the vehicle is LT and the one that is in service is LT2. LT1 went back to the manufacturers and LT3 has still not been delivered. Not even sure if LT4 to LT8 have been built yet.

Dates for having at least two running has been put back at least 5 times and is now being given a date sometime in the middle of April.

Ah, the deliveries do seem to have been rather delayed. The one in service is LT2. My information on Friday suggested that the second would go into service tomorrow but I can't guarantee that. If it hasn't been delivered then I'll admit it looks unlikely.

MarkyMarkD

Most older people (like most younger people) aren't bus enthusiasts so are unlikely to remember what the model was that they used to travel on - as with most passengers today - ask them what make the bus they caught this morning was and most wouldn't know, never mind one from years ago.

And most bus types weren't the icon that the Routemaster became. I've seen people refer to random AEC buses as routemasters before now...

I was not suggest senility for those over the age of 40 - just that for most they have no more than, at most, a passing interest in buses.
OK, maybe!

I must have been rather lucky to glimpse LT2 if that's the only one running - I literally just saw it outside the window of the hotel I was in when I glanced outside.

Established Member
One of the forums i go on someone had mentioned that LT1 was seen in Mill Hill heading towards London on the M1. So we could have 2 in service on Monday.

mbonwick

Established Member
LT1 is back at Wrightbus for planned modification to production spec (as delivered it had several different features to aid testing and commissioning, which are no longer needed)

Schnellzug

Established Member
What are they actually called? I mean, like Volvo B9TL or Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 and so on. Are they called Wrightbus New Bus For London or Wrightbus Borismaster on the registration documents?

starrymarkb

Established Member
that link works fine with the reg LT61BHT and make as Other then Wrightbus in the box below.

It does not work for other words put in that box,

Ah I tried the one shown on BBC News LT61A?? (Can't remember the rest now)

Schnellzug

Established Member
"CO2 Emissions 0g/Km"? has that bit just not been filled in, or is TfL telling porkies? There must be some emissions surely? Next Boris'll be telling us that it's actually a mobile air freshener.

Old routemasters are on routes 9 and 15. They do not solely operate the route, but they do it alongside modern buses as to meet disabled passanger regulations.We normally wait outside Tower Gateway DLR station, at the route 15 bus, for a routemaster back into town. I'm sure someone will be able to come along and offer more advice...

Looking to take route 15, how often would you say on a Saturday does a routemaster operate?

campcrusader

I hadn't realised there was only one running at the moment.

I managed to go for a ride, last week (after a previous abortive attempt that saw me waiting around Victoria for over an hour!). I am no fan of Boris, but it does have a certain presence - and looks a lot better in reality than in pictures. I can't comment on the downstairs, but the upstairs saloon is comfortable, if a little low in height. The small-ish windows do make it a little dark, especially when one is used to the upper decks of WVLs or Enviros. I had to pop off at the rear door, and was a little surprised as to how close to the edge of the platform the rear stairs reach - I felt a little unsafe as I climbed down to alight - a feeling I never got on the old RMs. I suppose the speed at which we were travelling was faster than on the RMs, which would have added to my unease!

I'm looking forward to another journey to evaluate the bus a little more...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I can't comment on the downstairs, but the upstairs saloon is comfortable, if a little low in height. The small-ish windows do make it a little dark, especially when one is used to the upper decks of WVLs or Enviros.

What are the seats like upstairs? They don't seem very well padded from the pictures.

campcrusader

Schnellzug

Established Member
Is the novelty beginning to wear off a bit, i wonder? They don't seem excessively busy.
Why no rear Window upstairs? That's a feature I really don't like.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Is the novelty beginning to wear off a bit, i wonder? They don't seem excessively busy.

Probably because it "shadows" a trip on the regular schedule (i.e. 2 buses are timetabled to turn up together).

It'd be very cynical of me to suggest that this is to avoid the lower capacity of the vehicle being as obvious.

campcrusader

I took a trip from Victoria to Hackney today (11am ish), and the bus was busy right through from Victoria to Balls Pond Road, where it emptied out a little. The upstairs had most seats occupied for most of the journey.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I doubt many people are going out of their way to catch it (though a few will have to do it once). Besides eventually there will be as many as eight of them.

Though we're still waiting for the 2nd...

Schnellzug

Established Member
I doubt many people are going out of their way to catch it (though a few will have to do it once). Besides eventually there will be as many as eight of them.

Though we're still waiting for the 2nd...

I'll try to look it out when I'm next in london (whenever that might be), to be sure. But then, i do with any new bus, being a bus geek. :oops:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'll try to look it out when I'm next in london (whenever that might be), to be sure. But then, i do with any new bus, being a bus geek. :oops:

I've seen it a couple of times but only when I've been working so I couldn't just jump on it - will have to have a look myself at some point.

NY Yankee

Why would people use a bus in downtown London when it is so congested? I can understand tourists who like the double deckers, but why would Londoners use bus when the Tube is (presumably) faster?

Furrball

Why would people use a bus in downtown London when it is so congested? I can understand tourists who like the double deckers, but why would Londoners use bus when the Tube is (presumably) faster?

The bus is cheaper.

Via Bank

Mainly because it's slightly cheaper---London's bus fares, even after a 50% fare rise in recent years, are still exceptionally good value. You can go all the way from Ilford to central London on the 25 for £1.35, whereas the same journey would cost £3.70 off peak (and £4.90 during the peak) on the train/Tube.

A day's unlimited travel on all London's buses and trams is £4.20---the equivalent travelcards (tube, NR, DLR, LOROL) are substantially dearer. Children travel free on buses (so do pensioners and disabled people, but they also get free travel at most times on trains with their Freedom Pass.)

Don't forget, too, that it's a door-to-door service. To get to central London on the Tube I have to walk from my flat to the tube station (around 10 minutes, and crossing a busy road.) If I get the bus, it takes me five minutes to walk to the bus stop and hail a bus. It's slower (although not too slow, given bus lanes) but it's just as frequent as the Tube, I don't have to climb a long flight of stairs at either end, and I can alight two streets away from my destination rather than ten minutes' walk away. (On an open platform bus, it's even more convenient---if you're lucky, you can get off right in front of your destination if you're stopped in traffic.)

Having been on LT2 yesterday, there definitely seems to be something "off" with its climate control. It wasn't a particularly warm day, but upstairs, towards the front, I was roasting unnecessarily. I suppose we'll know when LT1 and LT3 arrive if this is a problem with this particular bus or a problem with the design of the air-chilling system.

Also, the conductors are unusually concerned about making you stand back from the platform edge while the bus is moving (which is a PITA when you're trying to peer out to see where your stop is!) Presumably this is out of a desire to avoid headlines such as "BORIS'S BUS MURDERS FAMILY OF FOUR."

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Don't forget, too, that it's a door-to-door service. To get to central London on the Tube I have to walk from my flat to the tube station (around 10 minutes, and crossing a busy road.) If I get the bus, it takes me five minutes to walk to the bus stop and hail a bus. It's slower (although not too slow, given bus lanes) but it's just as frequent as the Tube, I don't have to climb a long flight of stairs at either end, and I can alight two streets away from my destination rather than ten minutes' walk away. (On an open platform bus, it's even more convenient---if you're lucky, you can get off right in front of your destination if you're stopped in traffic.)

This is a very important point. No rail-based system can reach every corner of a city, even in central (downtown) areas. There will always be gaps which cannot be served but for a comprehensive bus/trolleybus/tram system.

NY Yankee

I'm still having trouble converting euros to dollars, but I get what you're saying. It's like the Washington DC Metro where the bus is cheaper than the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.