• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New national restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlogax

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member

kez19

Established Member
Haven't yet heard this one...only the Wail...

I read that in my local paper few weeks ago... good god!, next I’ll be expected to flap my wings or my gums!

It help though if the councils were on top of gritting but hey!

Song choices next: walk like an Egyptian - The Bangles or
Walk Like A Panther - The All Seeing Eye..

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Wouldn't it be better - and less silly looking - to walk the way the army do in snow and ice in order to avoid falls?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Haven't yet heard this one...only the Wail...

I.... I just have no words. No actually I do, there are people in NHS administration with too little to do. Get on with helping deal with the logistics of getting vaccines out to the vulnerable & staff. Waddle like a penguin, I mean how many Teams meetings did that one take?

takno

Established Member
I.... I just have no words. No actually I do, there are people in NHS administration with too little to do. Get on with helping deal with the logistics of getting vaccines out to the vulnerable & staff. Waddle like a penguin, I mean how many Teams meetings did that one take?
It is really icy up here, and we have loads of hills and a taste for slippery cobbles and stone paving. I am walking something like that a lot of the time, because I've learned to do it through 15 years of experience of this kind of weather. It's not something I've really experienced in England.

We didn't have a lot of bad weather last year, and we have a _lot_ of people who are new to Scotland in the population, and who may well not have had to walk on compacted ice before.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
John Swinney, Deputy First Minister (and also Cabinet Secretary for Education), is to make a covid-19 related statement to parliament at 1420. No idea what it's about as the usual journalists haven't found the leaky pipe yet.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It is really icy up here, and we have loads of hills and a taste for slippery cobbles and stone paving. I am walking something like that a lot of the time, because I've learned to do it through 15 years of experience of this kind of weather. It's not something I've really experienced in England.

We didn't have a lot of bad weather last year, and we have a _lot_ of people who are new to Scotland in the population, and who may well not have had to walk on compacted ice before.
In my part of England its pretty common. Haven't yet seen any advice to walk like an Antarctic flightless bird yet... :D

takno

Established Member
In my part of England its pretty common. Haven't yet seen any advice to walk like an Antarctic flightless bird yet... :D
I spent 10 years in Leeds without experiencing anything like it. Difficult to know why it's different, but it can get brutal even near the city centre here. Mostly they just don't want anybody coming into A&E and catching the old Covid, which seems sensible. Probably a bit off topic though, since it's not really part of the restrictions

Bantamzen

Established Member
I spent 10 years in Leeds without experiencing anything like it. Difficult to know why it's different, but it can get brutal even near the city centre here. Mostly they just don't want anybody coming into A&E and catching the old Covid, which seems sensible. Probably a bit off topic though, since it's not really part of the restrictions
Travel 10 or so miles west and you get a lot of higher ground than in Leeds, it can get blumming cold on the edge of the moors. ;)

Yew

Established Member
The advice has been there for years, just never really pushed, I can remember seeing it during the cold snap in 2010 and 2018.
During heatwaves, should we also walk like an Egyptian?

kez19

Established Member
During heatwaves, should we also walk like an Egyptian?

Boom tsk! If we are able to have alcohol by then, I suggest walk like a drunk? lol

The advice has been there for years, just never really pushed, I can remember seeing it during the cold snap in 2010 and 2018.

Yet for me the advice given out do we really believe even our local councillors or the MPs would follow the same advice? Of course not but I expect them to see people do this and they have a giggle about it in their offices.

Established Member
Boom tsk! If we are able to have alcohol by then, I suggest walk like a drunk? lol

Yet for me the advice given out do we really believe even our local councillors or the MPs would follow the same advice? Of course not but I expect them to see people do this and they have a giggle about it in their offices.
It's sensible advice to prevent people injuring themselves. No one has to follow it if they'd prefer to take the additional risk. But we are way off topic now.

island

Veteran Member
John Swinney, Deputy First Minister (and also Cabinet Secretary for Education), is to make a covid-19 related statement to parliament at 1420. No idea what it's about as the usual journalists haven't found the leaky pipe yet.
He said they would have supervised quarantine for people arriving from overseas.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
He said they would have supervised quarantine for people arriving from overseas.
I see he's saying that they may well go further than England with restrictions (there's a surprise!!) and that:

If Scotland establishes a supervised quarantine regime, and England does not, that could be problematic if unrestricted travel between Scotland and England resumes

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-55808412)

I've got a bad feeling that the caveat for easing restrictions in Scotland (which I don't doubt will be much much later than in England, even though our cases are lower) is going to be that Nanny Nicola Sturgeon will make us stay in Scotland and not permit us to travel to England or the rest of the UK.

takno

Established Member
I've got a bad feeling that the caveat for getting easing restrictions in Scotland is going to be that Nanny Nicola Sturgeon will make us stay in Scotland and not permit us to travel to England or the rest of the UK.
I suspect it will cost them quite a lot of support if they start getting clever about the Scottish border, without the cover of an urgently-pressing crisis, and this close to the election.

kez19

Established Member
I see he's saying that they may well go further than England with restrictions (there's a surprise!!) and that:

I've got a bad feeling that the caveat for easing restrictions in Scotland (which I don't doubt will be much much later than in England, even though our cases are lower) is going to be that Nanny Nicola Sturgeon will make us stay in Scotland and not permit us to travel to England or the rest of the UK.

We all know this will go tits up in the process no doubt, If Nicola was to prevent your average citizen from travelling between Scotland and England then maybe should apply that to all her MP's for Westminster, may I suggest they Zoom one another or is that to much to ask, or would it be they be happy traveling to London for the sake of expenses?

Would that be the police I guess and hotel staff? ... big brother is watching you springs to mind.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Nicola Sturgeon has possibly outplayed the PM by questioning if his visit to Scotland is really essential.

Dangerous line for somebody who insists on trotting into work every single blooming day to do an in-person party political broadcast press conference that never contains anything new and probably has an audience of approximately zero now

najaB

Veteran Member
Dangerous line for somebody who insists on trotting into work every single blooming day to do an in-person party political broadcast press conference that never contains anything new and probably has an audience of approximately zero now
She doesn't travel from Edinburgh to London to do it though. And I suspect that she does more with her day than just hold the press conference.

PG

Established Member
Nicola Sturgeon has possibly outplayed the PM by questioning if his visit to Scotland is really essential.

Raises an interesting question:
if you get pinged/contacted to self-isolate while away from home are you supposed to do so immediately or should you return home first?​
Given that the PM and various government ministers have already had to self-isolate (sometimes > once) its not exactly a hypothetical question.
Edinburgh castle dungeons on standby <D

alexf380

Established Member
Surgeon doesn't cross a "closed :rolleyes:" border every day though. I suspect that's her thinking here.

najaB

Veteran Member
It is just as illegal to cross local authority boundaries in Scotland at present than it is to cross the English "border".
Unless your reason for crossing the boundary is classed as essential. Running the country might be considered essential by some.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Fairly sure Boris is doing that as well
Indeed. Not that I support Sturgeon nor Johnson, but I do not like the anti-English behaviour being portrayed.
--------------------------

Interestingly, as part of the Scottish Government guidance, outdoor recreation is still permitted throughout lockdown.
Local outdoor recreation, sport or exercise, walking, cycling, golf, or running that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area) as long as you abide by the rules on meeting other households

Is this reflected in the regulations at all, as I was under the impression that it wasn't?

Chester1

Established Member

I said last week in a different thread that Scots wouldn't be allowed to travel to England for non essential reasons for a long time. I would be genuinely surprised if you can before the end of school summer holidays. Very few will want to holiday in Scotland and by depriving Scots of other options the SNP would be directing a massive amount of money to coastal areas in South England and South Wales. I can't imagine them doing that.

I suspect it will cost them quite a lot of support if they start getting clever about the Scottish border, without the cover of an urgently-pressing crisis, and this close to the election.

From an outsiders perspective it does appear that a majority of Scots will believe and support anything the SNP says, especially with covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.