• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New national restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
You know very well why you will be travelling. I stated that it will be an offence. Whether it will be detected or not is quite separate.

Is it a £60 fine halved for prompt payment ?

Criminal or Civil offence ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
I've had it, and I was extremely ill for a month, far more so than I've been in the rest of my 46 years. It was a terrifying experience that put a lot of things into perspective. As a generally very fit person who normally never gets ill, I was genuinely freaked out by how bad it was, and I spent a lot of time worrying I'd be permanently suffering after-effects.

I hate the restrictions too, but please comply with them. The new strain is potentially a big problem. However inconvenient, difficult or frustrating the rules are, the more they're broken, the longer they'll go on. The vaccine is getting rolled out. It won't go on forever.

Please don't be selfish over this. It's serious.

The vaccine is not going to solve everything either, just the same as I hear people saying being vaccinated, the masks come off (per se), unfortunately it won't and I believe they even state this on the UK Gov site, that even with the vaccine, masks, distance and hand washing are staying in place.

I too had it but I was more tired out than anything else but prior I did have muscle aches (especially at back) and just a continous cough, isolated for 2 weeks anyway and I too as far as I know haven't had side effects (but then again who knows maybe there is but not aware of yet?). I was in favour of lockdowns back in March but as this gets dragged further out I question it more.

Do I trust the politicians in general and speaking as in both UK/Scottish level? Nope (I did again emphasise back in March) but not now.

I am far from selfish either (not personally at you) but I have a whole different perspective, but I just find that parties and the media are the ones having the fun and drama whilst everyone else suffers - as I state before, fine you may have negative stories but where are the positives out of all of this? As I rarely see anything positive from it.

Journeyman

Established Member
The vaccine is not going to solve everything either, just the same as I hear people saying being vaccinated, the masks come off (per se), unfortunately it won't.

I too had it but I was more tired out than anything else but prior I did have muscle aches (especially at back) and just a continous cough, isolated for 2 weeks anyway and I too as far as I know haven't had side effects (but then again who knows maybe there is but not aware of yet?). I was in favour of lockdowns back in March but as this gets dragged further out I question it more.

Do I trust the politicians in general and speaking as in both UK/Scottish level? Nope (I did again emphasise back in March) but not now.

I won't deny it's difficult. I've found it really gruelling both mentally and financially - I do a lot of freelance and contract work, and I've lost a fortune that the government won't compensate me for. I'm concerned about how long it's going on for, but I'm also aware that if this can lay me as low as it did for a long time, we really, really need to be careful.

Coming up with essential reasons to travel isn't hard if you genuinely need to, but please think before you do. You don't want to spread this about.

farleigh

That's entirely up to you, and the rules allow for it.

I'm talking about people travelling in contravention of the rules for their own enjoyment.
Oh OK.

I am a bit unclear on the rules about travelling - if he is in tier 2 (Eastbourne) and i am in 4(Bexhill) should i not deliver his food?

Journeyman

Established Member
Oh OK.

I am a bit unclear on the rules about travelling - if he is in tier 2 (Eastbourne) and i am in 4(Bexhill) should i not deliver his food?

Ah, you're in England. No, travelling out of a tier 4 area isn't allowed, even on Christmas day. The rules in Scotland are different. This thread is specifically about Scotland.

kez19

Established Member
I won't deny it's difficult. I've found it really gruelling both mentally and financially - I do a lot of freelance and contract work, and I've lost a fortune that the government won't compensate me for. I'm concerned about how long it's going on for, but I'm also aware that if this can lay me as low as it did for a long time, we really, really need to be careful.

Coming up with essential reasons to travel isn't hard if you genuinely need to, but please think before you do. You don't want to spread this about.

Yet I could argue in terms of it, its draining on me and is taking a toll, I have worked through it and get on with it but yet lets close the gyms again (for me my actual safe haven from it all gets closed again) well done!

We are all concerned for how long its going on for but where is the exit strategy from our politicians as we can't keep locking down and everything goes to pot or is that the plan?

Wynd

I see my appeal to compassion or even human decency are going down a treat.

Devolved administrations and self promotion? Promoting that they want to keep their citizens alive? That kind of self promotion?

Some people were on borrowed time, so I don't feel compelled to follow rules that may extend their lives somewhat. Wow. Is there a word beyond selfish in the dictionary?

Restrictions haven't made any difference? We in Scotland nearly eliminated this thing in summer. Then tourism came flooding in once restrictions were lifted and this thing started running rampant again.

The person agreeing that we need to take this seriously and abide by some basic restictions is being melodramatic? That sounds like accusation masquerading as insecurity.

Contemptible. Shameful responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

kez19

Established Member
I see my appeal to commission or even human decency are going down a treat.

Devolved administrations and self promotion? Promoting that they want to keep their citizens alive? That kind of self promotion?

Some people were on borrowed time, so I don't feel compelled to follow rules that may extend their lives somewhat. Wow. Is there a word beyond selfish in the dictionary?

Restrictions haven't made any difference? We in Scotland nearly eliminated this thing in summer. Then tourism came flooding in once restrictions were lifted and this thing started running rampant again.

The person agreeing that we need to take this seriously and abode by some basic restictions is being melodramatic? That sounds like accusation masquerading as insecurity.

You believe we would be covid free really? No virus out there has been eliminated! Sorry this is the only part I disagree with you on.

I follow the rules all the time but it didn't stop me getting it, I haven't seen any relatives elsewhere in Scotland since March but I and as a family get on with it, but if the idea is locking down all the time then its fairly obvious those in charge have no clue in resolving it.

If vaccine is the only way out I do fear for society, all these politicians are doing is pushing the goalposts further and further, but I wonder what happens next in April do we go for another round?

Just to say I question it alot more but I blame the media in all this than anything else - it just seems they enjoy the fear of it, had it been covered in a balance way then I wouldn't have much issue.

Last edited:

farleigh

Ah, you're in England. No, travelling out of a tier 4 area isn't allowed, even on Christmas day. The rules in Scotland are different. This thread is specifically about Scotland.
Sorry guys - I am even getting confused on threads now!!!!

Yew

Established Member
I've had it, and I was extremely ill for a month, far more so than I've been in the rest of my 46 years. It was a terrifying experience that put a lot of things into perspective. As a generally very fit person who normally never gets ill, I was genuinely freaked out by how bad it was, and I spent a lot of time worrying I'd be permanently suffering after-effects.

I hate the restrictions too, but please comply with them. The new strain is potentially a big problem. However inconvenient, difficult or frustrating the rules are, the more they're broken, the longer they'll go on. The vaccine is getting rolled out. It won't go on forever.

That doesn't detract from statistical reality.

Journeyman

Established Member
You believe we would be covid free really? No virus out there has been eliminated! Sorry this is the only part I disagree with you on.

Yeah, everywhere was doing alright in the summer. I think schools and universities have been the big problem.

That doesn't detract from statistical reality.

True, but do you really fancy gambling on whether you'll be one of the lucky ones? Before I got it, I was happy to take that risk. I'd now weigh things up differently.

Yew

Established Member
It seems pretty blindingly obvious that if you limit travel and contact with other people, it will help. I'm just saying, as someone who has been there, that this really is serious, and it matters more than your freedom to have fun. I wouldn't have said that before I contracted it. Apart from anything else, even if the mortality rate is tiny, if it makes thousands of people as ill as I was at the same time, hospitals wouldn't cope and public services and industry would collapse under the strain.

Please be careful.
It's blindingly obvious the world is flat too, but that doesn't mean it is.

Journeyman

Established Member
It's blindingly obvious the world is flat too, but that doesn't mean it is.

I think you're actually getting quite abusive now. Can you at least respect why I consider getting this under control to be important?

MattA7

Not quite true Smallpox was eradicated in 1979. However as covid mutates is unlikely even the vaccine will eradicate the disease in the same way.

Yew

Established Member
True, but do you really fancy gambling on whether you'll be one of the lucky ones? Before I got it, I was happy to take that risk. I'd now weigh things up differently.
I'm significantly more at risk of suicide than the virus, and people who prioritise COVID at the cost of all other things do more harm on that front than good.

kez19

Established Member
Yeah, everywhere was doing alright in the summer. I think schools and universities have been the big problem.
Oh dear, yet if you remember the big hoo ha about marches too, how even in media cases certain ones we're highlighted to others, media overhyped certain ones that a virus is out of control and then others not a blip.

I remember there was marches in Glasgow and Edinburgh we're given the go ahead but one in Dundee didn't but there didn't seem much in infections at either (Dundee was cancelled).

Not quite true Smallpox was eradicated in 1979. However as covid mutates is unlikely even the vaccine will eradicate the disease in the same way.

Yet there is various mutations I believe? So roll out the latest one at the moment which could be in effective to it?

bramling

Veteran Member

The person agreeing that we need to take this seriously and abode by some basic restictions is being melodramatic? That sounds like accusation masquerading as insecurity.

Interesting that you blame tourism, yet Cornwall also had a very heavy influx of tourism over the summer, yet now doesn’t seem to be in the same position.

I find the argument that consideration needs to be given to the negative effects of restrictions compelling. People are losing livelihoods as a result of all this, which in turn places a severe impact on mental health. I find it pretty selfish that some people fail to take this aspect seriously.

DB

Oh dear, yet if you remember the big hoo ha about marches too, how even in media cases certain ones we're highlighted to others, media overhyped certain ones that a virus is out of control and then others not a blip.

I remember there was marches in Glasgow and Edinburgh we're given the go ahead but one in Dundee didn't but there didn't seem much in infections at either (Dundee was cancelled).

Yet there is various mutations I believe? So roll out the latest one at the moment which could be in effective to it?

Why are some people so surprised that cases of a seasonal respiratory virus dropped considerably in the summer?

Yew

Established Member
I think you're actually getting quite abusive now. Can you at least respect why I consider getting this under control to be important?
That seems like a double-standard, when you used the same phraseology in the post I was replying to. I respect the idea, but think that a) it's almost impossible, and b) will cause significantly more harm than good.

DB

Repeating the same emotive drivel isn't going to suddenly cause everyone to agree with you.

kez19

Established Member
Why are some people so surprised that cases of a seasonal respiratory virus dropped considerably in the summer?

I know to an extent you could pick up the odd cold in the summer but I take it that is part of the seasons (all year)

It took 200 years.

This vaccine took how long? Lets look at the bigger picture here.

Can I get a cure for Raynauds? I know i'm on tablets but is there a vaccine for that?... nope but magically for COVID19 there is one but lets throw in the new strain into the mix now.

Wynd

Repeating the same emotive drivel isn't going to suddenly cause everyone to agree with you.
A sufficient attempt at insult to warrant the question, how about you walk us though your rational and thinking?

Did I say everyone should agree with me?

Emotive drivel? Tell us, what do you make of these restrictions here in Scotland?

I welcome them. Do you?

DB

A sufficient attempt at insult to warrant the question, how about you walk us though your rational and thinking?

Did I say everyone should agree with me?

Emotive drivel? Tell us, what do you make of these restrictions here in Scotland?

I welcome them. Do you?

I don't welcome any increased restrictions anywhere, as they cause massive harm with little evidence of them doing much good.

Describing thise who disagree with you as 'contemptible' and 'shameful' does rather indicate that you expect everyone to agree with you.

Wynd

I don't welcome any increased restrictions anywhere, as they cause massive harm with little evidence of them doing much good.

Hang on, do you live or work in Scotland?

Great to hear. You don't see the value in preserving life. Or the value in science.

Thank you for being so candid.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member

I find it interesting how your opinion has radically changed since you have had it (I remember how vocal you were about how slow Scotland emerged from the first lockdown!). Do you think you'd still be of the same opinion if you hadn't caught it?

Out of curiosity - if COVID wasn't a thing, and you managed to get a bad dose of the flu (with symptoms similar to your experience of covid), would your opinion be the same?

MattA7

Describing thise who disagree with you as 'contemptible' and 'shameful' does rather indicate that you expect everyone to agree with you.

I think the problem is all attention is being focused on the virus and not other problems that we are now facing. Mental health problems (which is causing a increase in suicide), those with other serious health problems having medical treatment delayed, the fact that the UK economy will probably fail catastrophically if restrictions don’t end soon.

if the matter isn’t resolved quickly we could also see the NHS (and other government services) in deep trouble as mass unemployment will result in vastly reduced funding for such services.

Journeyman

Established Member
I find it interesting how your opinion has radically changed since you have had it (I remember how vocal you were about how slow Scotland emerged from the first lockdown!). Do you think you'd still be of the same opinion if you hadn't caught it?

Out of curiosity - if COVID wasn't a thing, and you managed to get a bad dose of the flu, would your opinion be the same?

I do think that being very ill with it was a sobering experience that led me to reevaluate things. I don't agree with all the measures we've seen, but I agree with the desire the government has to drive this right down, because I've had a scary demonstration of how serious it is. I think it genuinely did change my opinions.

At the same time, I appreciate how frustrating and difficult the restrictions are, and they've done my mental health no good at all, so there's a need for a fine balance, and getting that right is extremely difficult.

I don't think you can compare this with flu. Everyone does, but I've only ever had proper flu once or twice, and it was extremely trivial in comparison.

farleigh

Hang on, do you live or work in Scotland?

Great to hear. You don't see the value in preserving life. Or the value in science.

Thank you for being so candid.
Very selfish post - do you not care about people outside Scotland?

Do you only care about Covid deaths and not those suffering in other ways - anxiety, depression, mental health....

At least you have been honest but please do try to think of others

Status
Not open for further replies.