• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New routes from Teesside Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsman

What makes you think there aren't business people who travel between Teesside and London? That's a significant part of Grand Central and LNER's market.
Suspect that the point is thaf a flight doesn't offer any real time saving versus the train

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
Suspect that the point is thaf a flight doesn't offer any real time saving versus the train
That may or may not be correct (I suspect the fact it is London City Airport rather than Gatwick may mean there is a time saving), but either way it is no different to the argument about most other airports' internal flights to London vs trains.

The fact is that having Teesside as a flight destination gets Teesside on the radar of London business travellers, and that is a good thing.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Hmm. It's 2h30 from Darlington to Kings Cross. If you're heading to Docklands- as many business people are- it's another 45m or so from Kings Cross to Canary Wharf.

The plane will very definitely be competitive on time. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The first flight of this schedule from Teesside to City Airport was operated this morning. The local news has a photo of local MPs, as well as the Mayor, waiting to board. Not sure if there were any other genuine passengers travelling however!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The first flight of this schedule from Teesside to City Airport was operated this morning. The local news has a photo of local MPs, as well as the Mayor, waiting to board. Not sure if there were any other genuine passengers travelling however!
I guess it's been rather unfortunate timing, but unforeseen when the routes were originally planned.

Howardh

Established Member
I know the station's been done to death, but how does a pax get to the airport if they aren't using a car and don't want a huge taxi bill? With these new flights, will public transport connections be enhanced? The website shows a bus a whopping six times/day currently. That's dreadful!!
Also they charge a £6 fee to use the airport if flying out. That's another turn-off.

darloscott

There was a few 'normal' passengers onboard, to a total of 14 I'm told, though 19 were booked so 5 no-shows. 9 onboard the return leg.
Twice weekly flights to Newquay started today also.

I know the station's been done to death, but how does a pax get to the airport if they aren't using a car and don't want a huge taxi bill? With these new flights, will public transport connections be enhanced? The website shows a bus a whopping six times/day currently. That's dreadful!!
Also they charge a £6 fee to use the airport if flying out. That's another turn-off.
The TeesFlex DRT service is also available to the Airport, though running 0700-2000 is not much good for the first or last wave.
The problem with the transport to the Airport is with only 20-50 pax on each flight is it worth running anything given some will go towards Darlington and others towards Stockton/Mbro, which already splits your low numbers in half.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know the station's been done to death, but how does a pax get to the airport if they aren't using a car and don't want a huge taxi bill?

They get a lift with a friend. But the overlap between people with no car and who are travelling from Teesside airport is probably very very small*. Of course the truth is that they, and most others, will continue to fly from Newcastle and Manchester (both very well connected by public transport to Teesside) or perhaps Leeds Bradford (by taxi, I believe there's a good trade for the local firms on transfers between Teesside and Leeds Bradford).

*(In the context of Teesside itself, obviously the picture will be different elsewhere in the country!)

DarloRich

Veteran Member

You get a lift, a cab or the bus and then walk. The cost of a cab from Darlo is not prohibitive. I doubt it is from the Boro either.

I bet most get a cab. In them olden days the number 74 united bus went to the airport i think every 30 minutes!

FQTV

You get a lift, a cab or the bus and then walk. The cost of a cab from Darlo is not prohibitive. I doubt it is from the Boro either.

I bet most get a cab. In them olden days the number 74 united bus went to the airport i think every 30 minutes!

I think you're right that most get a cab. It's £10/£15 from Yarm, about £15 from Darlington Station and I too suspect not much more from Middlesbrough. It's certainly not 'big city' prices. In my experience, even in the darkest days of passenger numbers to and from the airport, there were plenty of cabs for hire awaiting arrivals, so I suspect that a lot of folks who do have cars still take a cab, avoid the car park cost, leave the car for other family members at home (bear in mind that travel at the moment is heavily skewed towards solo work travel), be able to have a drink on the inbound 'plane and/or if connecting from long haul, not have to drive jetlagged.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
surprised it is that many!

I'm still surprised that anyone is even trying to run a range of new services from the airport and no doubt, somewhere down the line, with the tax payer on the hook (it's our airport now dontcha know! :rolleyes:). But then I don't have an election to win so what do I know?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm still surprised that anyone is even trying to run a range of new services from the airport and no doubt, somewhere down the line, with the tax payer on the hook (it's our airport now dontcha know! :rolleyes:). But then I don't have an election to win so what do I know?

the bus service will serve the aqirport as an bonus - surely the prime focus is serving the local villages. As for the flights, well if they start one from Luton I might be able to fly to home matches ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
the bus service will serve the aqirport as an bonus - surely the prime focus is serving the local villages.

For sure, if there weren't any villages in the way to at least generate a smidgen of revenue (via ENCTS or even, actual fares!!) then there's not a chance that there would be any bus service at all.
As for the flights, well if they start one from Luton I might be able to fly to home matches ;)

A very small market I would suggest! :p

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think i am broadly pro improving the number of flights to the airport. I think it is important from a regional status point of view but suspect more of a focus on holiday destinations would be sensible. It isn't as if we have loads of ICI or British Steel or Cleveland Bridge or AMEC or ship building or petrochemical executives to shuttle about these days! (sigh)

The Amsterdam link is also important. That seems to drive trade. KLM seem to have stitched up that market from a number of UK regional airports. I wonder how brexit will impact on that service?

For sure, if there weren't any villages in the way to at least generate a smidgen of revenue (via ENCTS or even, actual fares!!) then there's not a chance that there would be any bus service at all.

The old 74 had a very long route from Neasham to the airport. It went in a massive U shaped route through Darlington to make a journey of less than 5 miles! I used it ( and the train) a couple of times to make flights from Darlo international

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
News of a new route to Heathrow today:

NEW flights have been announced between Teesside and London.

The service will operate to Heathrow Airport from next month.

The daily service will start on September 14.

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen said: "It clearly demonstrates that Teesside is back on the map. We are gaining new flights when other airports are losing their flights.

"It's a fantastic achievement."

The service means passengers from Teesside can connect to more that 180 destinations in 84 locations across the world.

The flights, which are operated by Eastern Airways, will start at £54.99.

Roger Hage, general manager commercial and operations for Eastern Airways, said: "As the UK's regional airline, the opportunity for Eastern Airways to connect Teesside to London Heathrow, the UK's primary hub for worldwide connections is significant in the region's economic prosperity and economic recovery."

Whilst I still think the airport should be shut and I'd love to know how much is being spent on subsidies for all these hugely 'important' routes I will give the Mayor that this one is actually a good idea and, might actually have a chance of being successful. I'm lead to believe that the airport lost its Heathrow route in the past not because it wasn't used but simply that the slot was more valuable to the operator (I want to say BA but perhaps it was BMI?) which is perhaps a positive sign.

WestCoast

Established Member

Whilst I still think the airport should be shut and I'd love to know how much is being spent on subsidies for all these hugely 'important' routes I will give the Mayor that this one is actually a good idea and, might actually have a chance of being successful. I'm lead to believe that the airport lost its Heathrow route in the past not because it wasn't used but simply that the slot was more valuable to the operator (I want to say BA but perhaps it was BMI?) which is perhaps a positive sign.

It would have been bmi British Midland, a couple of years before they were taken over by BA.

This route seems crazy - who are they hoping to attract on it?

Leeds/Bradford actually lost its connection to Heathrow due to Covid, although Newcastle retains its link at reduced frequency.

In the current climate, I think they'd maybe be far better trying to get a few leisure routes to Spain and/or Greece? it seems business traffic will be impacted for quite some time.

FQTV

It was bmi who flew the Teesside to Heathrow route, and shortly after Lufthansa’s full takeover of bmi, Lufthansa decided that the Teesside slots would be transferred to their nascent Lufthansa Italia operation, principally centred on Milan.

The new route was shown in the schedules at the preceding season change publication date (October), but no one from Teesside spotted that their flight arrivals into Heathrow were shortly to be listed as originating from Milan, and it all came as a huge ‘surprise’ to them the following February that they’d be getting no more flights from the end of March.

It came as no surprise to almost everyone else in the industry, and nor did Lufthansa’s performance with LH Italia (which was shut down) or bmi in general (which was sold to BA for £1). The German company has doggedly pursued failed strategies with an almost remarkable zeal.

The new Eastern route from Teesside to Heathrow, as thus far announced, is once a day, at times which would appear to serve no-one’s particular purpose and, critically, with no interline connections.

As it stands then, it seems to bear none of the hallmarks of a successful commercial operation, and all those of an attempt at zero investment populist political PR puff.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Whilst I still think the airport should be shut and I'd love to know how much is being spent on subsidies for all these hugely 'important' routes I will give the Mayor that this one is actually a good idea and, might actually have a chance of being successful.

Ben Houchen is simply spaffing money up the wall, to borrow a phrase from his boss. I dread to think how much Eastern are getting off the taxpayer to fund a flight that seems to serve no discernible purpose.

I thought Flybe had fairly conclusively proved that flying irregular flights into Heathrow using small planes was a fool's errand.

As it stands then, it seems to bear none of the hallmarks of a successful commercial operation, and all those of an attempt at zero investment populist political PR puff.

Apropos of nothing, it's the Tees Valley mayoral elections next year.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apropos of nothing, it's the Tees Valley mayoral elections next year.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that this is some sort of naked politicking?! An attempt to use public money on a hopeless, yet popular, cause to try and win votes?!? Well I've never heard the like :lol:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that this is some sort of naked politicking?! An attempt to use public money on a hopeless, yet popular, cause to try and win votes?!? Well I've never heard the like :lol:

I'm positive Ben Houchen would do no such thing.

The outbound flight from Costa del Dinsdale is at 1240 and the return is at 1430. Plenty of availability at £54.99 each way. But I'm really not sure what the point of the flight is, or what market they're hoping to attract. It's clearly useless for business. The flight goes into T2 and there's no codeshare or interline agreement with other airlines, such as Emirates or Singapore, so I'm really left scratching my head. I'm guessing the slot is one of the ones Flybe had, most other airlines are still clinging on to their slots I believe?

Does anyone know what Eastern will be flying into Heathrow? I'm guessing one of the Embraer jets, possibly the E170? I'd pay good money to see one of the Jetstream 41s flying into Heathrow though :lol:

I don't share your desire to see the airport shut, but I don't see what the point of these sorts of flights are, other than as political grandstanding in an election year. Get Jet2 in and get some flights to where people actually want to go.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I see the comment about Jet2 regularly but I cannot see them using Teesside with pretty major bases at LBA and Newcastle. I guess with a suitable incentive, Jet2 might be interested but then so might be EasyJet, Ryanair and Wizz Air

WestCoast

Established Member
I see the comment about Jet2 regularly but I cannot see them using Teesside with pretty major bases at LBA and Newcastle. I guess with a suitable incentive, Jet2 might be interested but then so might be EasyJet, Ryanair and Wizz Air

I think 10 years ago they may well have done so - I remember when they opened up a base in Blackpool despite having their Manchester hub and they do operate out of Glasgow and Edinburgh as well as Birmingham and East Midlands.

Those were very different times of course!

Wizz UK seem to be one of the only airlines trying to expand right now so I suspect if you gave them enough cash they might consider it I guess.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
see the comment about Jet2 regularly but I cannot see them using Teesside with pretty major bases at LBA and Newcastle.

True, though (pre-Covid) you saw airlines use both Manchester and Liverpool, as well as at least two of LBA, Doncaster and East Mids. Teesside isn't *that* close to either LBA or Newcastle.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ryanair to launch two new summer routes from Teesside; to Alicante and Majorca which will both run twice a week from the start of June until the end of October.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes and Loganair as well are joining the fray at Teesside Airport offering services to Aberdeen, Belfast, Newquay, Dublin and Jersey next year. If you're in the right part of the world you may even be treated to a YouTube advert featuring the Mayor, Ben Houchen, and Loganair's chief ex (you should also be able to find it here if you're not lucky enough to live on Teesside)! Wonder who paid for it though.... It is though slightly odd that three of those destinations (Belfast, Aberdeen and Newquay) are already being served by Eastern Airways and you have to think that even pre-pandemic those routes, whilst they might be able to sustain one airline, would struggle to sustain two. I still can't help but feel that there must be some interesting behind the scenes manoeuvres going on with taxpayer money on these new services with an eye to the election coming.

Also joining Ryanair is TUI who are running a summer service to Palma from Teesside Airport. Now, to be fair the Mayor and the airport, these are both good things. My view is that summer services serving popular destinations are only a good thing as they're the most likely to actually be popular and useful so I'm pleased that he has managed to lure them back. Righting a wrong of the previous airport management who, if I recall, basically chucked TUI out during their phase of trying to run the airport down despite the route being popular and profitable.

FQTV

The Ryanair flights are starting oddly late in the season.

Perhaps it’s to coincide with deliveries of their 737MAXes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.