• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New S7 Underground stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Indeed - it seems none of the diagrams show an intended final off peak.

There is a current service diagram, there is a 'final' peak service diagram, which as swt_passenger notes has no Tower Hill terminators, and there are also several diagrams describing how an 'early' Extended Circle would work - these are essentially what we have now, although with differences e.g. at Olympia.

We're bound to see several different versions before the SSR upgrade finishes anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, my understanding is that the 2018 end state is confusingly followed by a load of interim information, and as said there seems to be no 2018 off-peak service shown at all, which I hadn't taken onboard. Everything else is mainly to do with the T-cup service, which has obviously already happened; indeed the Earls Court peak service removal, and subsequent Wimbledon extras in the peak have already changed what was predicted then.

They'd probably have been better putting the 2018 diagram right at the end, but I can see why they did it the way they did - they're basically saying this is what we want eventually, but we can do some of it now...

simple simon

I have mentioned elsewhere on this Forum that during resignalling:
- Mansion House bay is to become the new EB platform, no reversing facilities. Platform to be realigned at east-end for extra width. Current EB abandoned.
- Putney Bridge bay is to become the new WB platform, all reversing facilities removed. Current WB abandoned.
- Tower Hill bay to be (re-)connected at east-end to both EB & WB roads to provide run-around in both directions.
- reversing crossovers lost at: Hornchurch, East Ham (replaced with WB reversal at BKG2), Bromley, Aldgate East, Mansion House, Embankment (replaced with new W-E/E-W diamond between Westminster & Embankment), South Kensington, Gloucester Road, Putney Bridge, East Putney.

If Tower Hill is to be used for reversers then they still need Mansion House, as otherwise a train that fails will still cause more significant disruption than need be.

They seem to forget that Mansion House is already there - they could still close the platform, just keep the track for emergency use. They would still save the cost of lighting the present day EB platform. That said, it is better when a bay is between rather than to the side of the running rails.

In short, they should have learnt the lessons of the mainline railway - which has had to start reinstating once removed infrastructure. It is possible to pare too closely to the bone.

As an aside, didn't Mansion House originally have 4 platforms - with the EB platform originally also having been a double sided island?

Simon

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
As an aside, didn't Mansion House originally have 4 platforms - with the EB platform originally also having been a double sided island?
Indeed it did, along with loco-spurs behind the WB hoarding and entry to EB platform.

9711058396_f4d68e883a_z.jpg

Prior to 1991 refurbishment, still visible 2013.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Isn't that just what happens when you don't pick up litter for a few hours?!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The details that were shared with the TUs the other week shows for peak hours:

4ph Amersham
2ph Chesham
10ph Watford
12ph Uxbridge
(28ph Harrow - Baker, 16ph continuing via the City)

8ph Hammersmith & City
8ph Circle
(32ph Baker - Liv St)

8ph Ealing
8ph Richmond
8ph Wimbledon via City
8ph Wimbleware
(32ph Gcr Rd - Tower Hill)

Other details seem less clear; but there appears to be 8ph Districts terminating at Barking and 16ph to Upminster.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The details that were shared with the TUs the other week shows for peak hours:
[...]
Other details seem less clear; but there appears to be 8ph Districts terminating at Barking and 16ph to Upminster.

That's as per the 2018 end state diagram I linked to earlier in post #356, (although that didn't show the way the 28 tph section of the Met was shared out) everything else is the same. (Except as said the 4 tph Olympia service has now been removed.)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Circle Line today:

Both diagrams 207 ( unit 21361/2 ) and 214 ( unit 21357/8 - I think? ) were S7 as planned and unlike last week it looked as if the full planned complement of H&C diagrams was running; at least 10 diagrams were observed to be S7. I think - I sort of lost count...

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
As at 0845:
207 21361/62
214 21313/14
216 21341/42

As at 1030:
207 21361/62
214 21313/14
216 C Stock

Julian G

Established Member
Another S7 is coming to Hammersmith and another C-stock is going to Neasden next Monday.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
With the sidings?

Is there a suitable siding within the depot area that could be dedicated to turnback use normally, or will they have to build a new one? I'd assume that the single bay used by H&C trains at the moment would be dedicated to that service for consistency?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Is there a suitable siding within the depot area that could be dedicated to turnback use normally, or will they have to build a new one? I'd assume that the single bay used by H&C trains at the moment would be dedicated to that service for consistency?
As from 8 December most off-peak H&C trains will reverse by the sidings at Barking.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As from 8 December most off-peak H&C trains will reverse by the sidings at Barking.

Is that instead of using the bay platform then? I must admit I was thinking more of the eventually proposed 16 tph reversals rather than this year...

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Presumably they'll just carry on doing a (slightly beefed up) version of whatever they do for sidings reversers now - I think most of the sidings are currently empty until at least the early evening.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I think most of the sidings are currently empty until at least the early evening.
Except for the 3 C Stock trains being stored/hot spare there.

Another Circle working to be added from Tues 17:
203 M-F
217 Sat
204 SUN

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
Arrived at Blackfriars westbound platform this morning just in time to see a S7 arriving operating a Circle service - I travelled on it to Victoria. A few confused passengers at a couple of stations!

Dstock7080

Established Member
More S7 workings to be added from Tues 1/10:
Circle:
M-F +1 (5)
SAT +2 (4)
SUN +1 (5)
H&C:
M-F +1 (10)
SAT (10)
SUN +2 (10)

Status