• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New S7 Underground stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnb

This year the S7s are expected to start replacing C-stock on the District Wimblewares; replacing D-stock on the "main line" won't happen until next year at the earliest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Considering the C Stock is the only Conventional Train left to be replaced (Two air lines) and the D Stock uses a RTT safety system and is actually a heck of a lot more modern than it looks, it's really not a supprise that the C Stock is being replaced first, being the same kind of design as the 1938 stock...(!)

Tubefan2013

Really its a shame the D stock is being scrapped so early compared to the likes of the 67-A stock and C stocks which are in the 45-50 year old range. The D stock is only around 35 years old. Also they were refurbished quite recently too, but i suppose nothing lasts forever and soon we can welcome the S7 stock to the District line.

Nym

Established Member
The S7 is more for the joys of additonal capacity, this is a significant increase on a pair of D78 units, but I do wish we could find a home for the D78s that are now going spare, the most favoruable I've found so far includes shuttles at the top end of the Met, and possibly between Uxbridge / Ryners Lane / Ealing Broadway and Acton Town. Or between Watford Junction (Post Croxley Rail Link) and Rickmansworth / Ammersham. And of course Chesham and Chalfront & Latimer. Top end of the Central Line is also a contender, but that would depend on bridge heights etc.

If it's routes at the top end of the Met, then maintenance and stabling can still be held at Ealing Common, but we'd need to form up some double ender 3 car units, or four car units, to retain doubled up compressors and MAs.

Tubefan2013

I like the S8 stock trains they are nice to ride on, yet to go on a s7 stock though.
I must go on one next time I am in London.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Does anybody know the number of S7's in London? Also does anybody know the rate of delivery from derby to London?
There are currently 11 S7s in London, 3 are currently formed as S7+1 and are in service on the MET.

Deliveries usually come via the Old Dalby test track and not direct from Derby. Deliveries to London are on hold while the infrastructure is readied on the Circle Line.

D365

Veteran Member
Really its a shame the D stock is being scrapped so early compared to the likes of the 67-A stock and C stocks which are in the 45-50 year old range. The D stock is only around 35 years old. Also they were refurbished quite recently too, but i suppose nothing lasts forever and soon we can welcome the S7 stock to the District line.

Fit 25kV OHLE :P Don't suppose that would be possible, bit of a shame but they are around the same age as the PEP series and the first 48 317s. Refit with 750V third rail and use on Merseyrail for a few years? Southern region? Don't suppose so, just throwing ideas out there.

Aictos

Established Member
Fit 25kV OHLE :P Don't suppose that would be possible, bit of a shame but they are around the same age as the PEP series and the first 48 317s. Refit with 750V third rail and use on Merseyrail for a few years? Southern region? Don't suppose so, just throwing ideas out there.

Send them over them over to Isle of White or to Iran ;)

Darren R

Established Member

Thought they were heading up to Harrogate?!!:lol:

Dstock7080

Established Member
S7s
21321/22
21325/26
21333/34
have recently been delivered to London.
Limited weekend running on the H&C has begun.

Aictos

Established Member
S7s
21321/22
21325/26
21333/34
have recently been delivered to London.
Limited weekend running on the H&C has begun.

I was pleasantly surprised to get a S7 working a service to Barking on Tuesday, I was expecting a C stock :(

Note I was travelling from Great Portland Street to Kings Cross St Pancras but being able to show family 4 different types of LUL stock was most welcomed :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Used the circle from South Ken to Kings Cross in the late peak yesterday, what with the Picadilly line being stopped and not fancying the Victoria line cram. C-Stock was a bit warm and stuffy. Got onto an H&C S7 service at Edgeware Road (whichever unit has the 150 vinyl wrap). Much more pleasent! The contrast was hugely noticable. Can't wait for the entire SSL fleet to be finished.

Dstock7080

Established Member
S7s
21329/30
21331/32
21335/36
21339/40
have recently been delivered to London, ready for the new timetable.

There are currently 18 S7s in London, 3 are currently formed as S7+1 and are in service on the MET.

Also initial S8 21001/02 has been re-delivered as 8-cars following its use as an S7 test train and completion of engineering mods at Derby.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Nice to see trains coming from Bombardier instead of the other way around!

Aictos

Established Member
What new timetable is this, when does it start and what does it mean for me as a passenger?

Will all H & C trains be S7 stock then?

Dstock7080

Established Member
What new timetable is this, when does it start and what does it mean for me as a passenger?

Will all H & C trains be S7 stock then?
From 19 May, 9 (out of 14) H&C trains are nominated for S7 working. With more to follow soon after.

No Circle Line trains are scheduled for S7 working although the infrastructure will accept diverted H&C trains from the same date.

A later 00:05 departure from Barking to Hammersmith is added.

4 H&C trains will start/finish at Wembley Park sidings, these MUST be S7 trains as they will run empty from/to Baker Street pfm2/3 being driven by MET drivers to/from Wembley Park. This will result in a slight reduction in H&C trains from Baker Street-Hammersmith in the late evening.

Daniel

Established Member
4 H&C trains will start/finish at Wembley Park sidings, these MUST be S7 trains as they will run empty from/to Baker Street pfm2/3 being driven by MET drivers to/from Wembley Park. This will result in a slight reduction in H&C trains from Baker Street-Hammersmith in the late evening.

I am aware they're going to be driven by Met drivers, but I'm wondering if they'll acctually go to Harrow, as you can't get into Wembley Park sidings from the Northbound..?

---

Answered my own question by looking at the new box sheets.

The last train at Harrow-on-the-Hill will now be a H&C train!

Dstock7080

Established Member
So have they changed their initial plan of have S7s on the circle from May as that was what I was told.
It was always the plan to have the Circle ready for S7s by 19 May and it will be.
You can expect to see S Stock running via Victoria anytime after then.

Manchester77

Established Member
Woop woop thanks!

I know I've asked this before and I've searched google and the forums but I can't find it, could someone post the link to the google docs S Stock fleet list as my iPad got wiped and unfortunately I lost the bookmark ty

Class377/5

Established Member
From 19 May, 9 (out of 14) H&C trains are nominated for S7 working. With more to follow soon after.

No Circle Line trains are scheduled for S7 working although the infrastructure will accept diverted H&C trains from the same date.

A later 00:05 departure from Barking to Hammersmith is added.

So if I'm reading that right we'll be able to ride an S7 into the Met platforms at Baker Street then?

455driver

Veteran Member
When are they going to be running to Wimbledon, after seeing that one there last year I thought it would be "on the list" so to speak?

Nym

Established Member
When are they going to be running to Wimbledon, after seeing that one there last year I thought it would be "on the list" so to speak?

The entire SSR including Acton Town to Rayners Lane is 'On the list' but I would expect that Wimbledon will be the first to receive S7 as it will be replacing the C69/77 on the Wimbleware services.

Dstock7080

Established Member
So if I'm reading that right we'll be able to ride an S7 into the Met platforms at Baker Street then?
That is correct, this can already be done by using one of the 3 S7+1 trains on the MET.
These H&C trains will detrain/entrain at Baker Street pfm2/3, running empty to/from Harrow siding and Wembley Patk siding.
District Line driver training will not be starting before August/September, there is a hope that 1 train maybe introduced (using I/Os) for a regular event towards the end of August. Wimbledon is however unlikely to see an S7 in service before Feb 2014.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.