• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New service SOT all stations to Stafford!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha kind of got you there...

But seriously, there is now a once daily rail replacement service calling at Sot wedgewood, barlaston and Norton bridge to Stafford , the 1600 X14B departure from Hanley bus station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If they can that one direct local bus serving them all then I think all the buses should do this in my view. Surely it would be cheaper to run then.

In reality If they reinstated a rail services of some kind to Barleston , they could just close the other two on the quiet. Although the station needs quite a bit of maintenance .

thenorthern

Established Member
You did get me there. :D

Does Norton Bridge station even exist anymore given the flyover they are building.

You did get me there. :D

Does Norton Bridge station even exist anymore given the flyover they are building.

Norton Bridge is now an island platform in the middle of about 6 - 8 tracks , but no flyover or access to it. The bus stop on station road counts as a station calling point.

infobleep

Veteran Member
How come the platforms haven't been demolished or is that still to happen?

thenorthern

Established Member
How come the platforms haven't been demolished or is that still to happen?

The end stones on the at Barleston and Wedgwood have be removed meaning the platforms are unsafe to use in any case and they are both fenced off. They won't be demolished though for quite some time as there is no need for re-development of either site.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The end stones on the at Barleston and Wedgwood have be removed meaning the platforms are unsafe to use in any case and they are both fenced off. They won't be demolished though for quite some time as there is no need for re-development of either site.

I do find it rather shoddy that the full closure procedure need not be run before starting to take stations to bits. It is clear the stations will close, and they've had years to do it.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The X14B referred to is amended for the next few weeks.

From the D & G website:

13, 13A, 13B Stone - Norton Bridge - Stafford
There are changes to service 13A due to the closure of Eccleshall Road, Norton Bridge from 5 October until 23 November

14, X14, X14A, X14B Hanley - Stoke Station - Trentham - Barlaston - Stone - Eccleshall - Stafford

Service X14B will not serve Norton Bridge due to the closure of Eccleshall Road, Norton Bridge from 5 October until 23 November - the bus will operate direct between Eccleshall and Great Bridgeford - a replacement journey will operate on service 13B to serve Norton Bridge.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Id put a tenner on getting either one of Barlaston or Wedgwood reopening.

Barlaston is the larger settlement, with greater potential I would think.

Wedgwood used to generate lots of commuters from the nearby factory but employment numbers are now much lower. There is a new visitor centre however and some executive houses being built in the factory estate.

Trainfan344

Established Member
The thing is, what would serve it? It would require a stopping EMU service on that line, where presently there is none - could one even be fit in? Would loops be required?

Post HS2- (oh joy), I believe the Manchester to Stoke stopper is to be extended to Brum. So I presume this is why it might re-open!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The thing is, what would serve it? It would require a stopping EMU service on that line, where presently there is none - could one even be fit in? Would loops be required?

Surely the Crewe to London service operated by London Midland meets that requirement? It's a stopper and it's an EMU. It stops, up north at least, at all stations except Longport. Lack of capacity is the reason given for not calling at Barlaston or Wedgwood currently.

Surely the Crewe to London service operated by London Midland meets that requirement? It's a stopper and it's an EMU. It stops, up north at least, at all stations except Longport. Lack of capacity is the reason given for not calling at Barlaston or Wedgwood currently.

Sometimes the LM stopper to Euston actually stops by the platform at Barlaston on a Sunday to await the barriers closing at the level crossing. Perhaps this could be the one?

thenorthern

Established Member
If I remember correctly Stafford to Stoke-on-Trent local services were very briefly re-introduced by Central Trains in 2004 after the 2003 upgrade but withdrawn a few months later because of capacity reasons as Virgin Trains wanted to introduce more services.

Its important to remember though before 2003 the only services using the line were the hourly Virgin Cross Country service, hourly Virgin Manchester to London service as well as the local Stafford to Stoke-on-Trent service that ran several times per day. Today there is 2 Virgin per hour, 2 CrossCountry per hour and an hourly London Midland service plus the speed the trains travel at has increased meaning its very hard to introduce extra stops.

The Planner

Veteran Member

With the current off peak timetable I don't think you need anything between Stone and Kidsgrove as there is nothing behind you for a while on the down or the up. The Down LM is followed by the XC around 18 minutes later, the Up is again followed by a XC about 16 ish later. You could get one stop, probably both, in now I reckon without any infrastructure, you would have to reduce the Crewe turnaround by 5 or 6 minutes.

Post HS2- (oh joy), I believe the Manchester to Stoke stopper is to be extended to Brum. So I presume this is why it might re-open!

Don't believe anything you read about post Hs2 services, none of it is decided.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Wedwood station is in a silly place. If there were to be an additional station between Stoke and Stone it would be much better place where it can serve Trentham - a larger population than Barlaston. The obvious site would be where the A5035 crosses the line There appears to be a business park to the east of the line and the housing all round.

thenorthern

Established Member
Wedwood station is in a silly place. If there were to be an additional station between Stoke and Stone it would be much better place where it can serve Trentham - a larger population than Barlaston. The obvious site would be where the A5035 crosses the line There appears to be a business park to the east of the line and the housing all round.

I think a Trentham Station is on the wish list for Stoke-on-Trent city council however given the capacity issues its not going to happen soon. Also a Trentham Station would be of little use as the main Stoke-on-Trent Station is some distance from the City Centre (Hanley) meaning it wouldn't be useful to most commuters.

I remember when the first timetable after the 2003 upgrade the diagram on the front showed Hanley on the end of the map which made me think that in the 2003 upgrade they had built a new spur to Hanley to serve the City Centre but that was just the where the bus ran through to there.

The only purpose that Wedgwood serves at the moment though is that its 10p cheaper to buy a ticket to there from Uttoxeter than one to Stoke-on-Trent. :D

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The X14B referred to is amended for the next few weeks.

From the D & G website:

Quote:
13, 13A, 13B Stone - Norton Bridge - Stafford
There are changes to service 13A due to the closure of Eccleshall Road, Norton Bridge from 5 October until 23 November

14, X14, X14A, X14B Hanley - Stoke Station - Trentham - Barlaston - Stone - Eccleshall - Stafford

Service X14B will not serve Norton Bridge due to the closure of Eccleshall Road, Norton Bridge from 5 October until 23 November - the bus will operate direct between Eccleshall and Great Bridgeford - a replacement journey will operate on service 13B to serve Norton Bridge.

So a replacement bus service for the replacement bus service?

Bevan Price

Established Member

Trentham used to have a station - two if you also count the branch to Trentham Gardens. Both close long ago.

In my opinion, altermate LM trains could stop at Barlaston / Wedgwood without much effect on line capacity.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

My bold.

Not if you worked in the large pottery factory of the same name just up the (private) road from the station, as many hundreds used to do. Of those many hundreds, those who did not live in the workers estate next door, or did not use the fleet of workers buses provided by The Potteries Motor Traction Company, many used the train, hence the rather large shelter which used to be on the down platform.

Station usage figures:
Barlaston 1990/91 - 23,279
Wedgwood 1990/91 - 84,950
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So a replacement bus service for the replacement bus service?

Indeed, and as the roadworks causing the replacement are rail related, I assume one may claim delay / repay if you were travelling on a rail ticket (accepted on the 14 etc buses) and were delayed by the changed timetables. ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
My bold.

Not if you worked in the large pottery factory of the same name just up the (private) road from the station, as many hundreds used to do. Of those many hundreds, those who did not live in the workers estate next door, or did not use the fleet of workers buses provided by The Potteries Motor Traction Company, many used the train, hence the rather large shelter which used to be on the down platform.

Station usage figures:
Barlaston 1990/91 - 23,279
Wedgwood 1990/91 - 84,950

*sigh* Did you think I don't know that? Yes, it was the sensible place for the station to be at the time. Is it now? No! So why is it even relevant when we are discussing the future of the area?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
*sigh* Did you think I don't know that? Yes, it was the sensible place for the station to be at the time. Is it now? No! So why is it even relevant when we are discussing the future of the area?

It's a very sensible location for a station called 'Wedgwood', I would even go so far as to say it is in it's optimal location, and, to use your terminology, that it would be silly for it to be anywhere other than where it is now.

A replacement station at Trentham, on the A5035 as mentioned, was an idea floated many years ago but it got no further than the talking stage - no studies were carried out. More recent talk was for a halt further north, to serve the new (then under construction) Stoke City football ground. Nothing came of that idea either.

Along with the idea for an inter-city halt in Etruria Valley (either as an additional stop or replacement for the current Stoke-on-Trent station).

The fine people of Stoke like to float their grand ideas but never progress them beyond that. Now, what happened to the idea for a cable car from Etruria / Festival Park to Hanley?

Although Stoke-on-Trent station is not in the city centre, it is close to Staffordshire University (currently transferring activities from its Stafford campus), Stoke-on-Trent College and the Sixth Form College. All of which attract 'commuters'. Travel times between Stone, Barlaston, Wedgwood and the 'University Quarter' are poor by existing bus services. A decent rail service serving these points would be beneficial. Whether it would be financially viable I leave to the number crunchers.

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
It not exactly difficult to get to hanley from Stoke Station, during the day there is a bus every 5-10 minutes max.

crehld

Established Member

The former Wedgewood has been, if I recall correctly, earmarked for future significant housing development. Would the station not be in a suitable location if this were to go ahead?

It not exactly difficult to get to hanley from Stoke Station, during the day there is a bus every 5-10 minutes max.

If you've had the misfortune to alight at Stoke, why would you want to make your day worse by going to Hanley? ;)

Trainfan344

Established Member
The former Wedgewood has been, if I recall correctly, earmarked for future significant housing development. Would the station not be in a suitable location if this were to go ahead?

If you've had the misfortune to alight at Stoke, why would you want to make your day worse by going to Hanley? ;)

Because it'd be closer to my accommodation ;)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
QUOTE=crehld;2322608 The former Wedgewood has been, if I recall correctly, earmarked for future significant housing development. Would the station not be in a suitable location if this were to go ahead?

The houses are under construction. Prices from £675,000 and downwards. :o Just what your average Stokie can afford (if seven families buy together and share that is).

If you've had the misfortune to alight at Stoke, why would you want to make your day worse by going to Hanley?

Can't disagree with that one. :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.