• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Signaller Assessment News

Status
Not open for further replies.

svrdan

Well, im hoping to not suffer the same fate.

Espically when doing the online assesments. How did you guys feel about completing them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member

Espically when doing the online assesments. How did you guys feel about completing them?

I didn't feel confident afterwards especially on the maths one, though even the verbal one got me a few times where I was stuck between "can't say" and "no"...

carriageline

Established Member
What people often forget when they are unsuccessful, definitely the higher grades jobs, is that there is interest internally as well, from signallers and non signallers, so I imagine they will automatically be considered over externals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomBoyd

What people often forget when they are unsuccessful, definitely the higher grades jobs, is that there is interest internally as well, from signallers and non signallers, so I imagine they will automatically be considered over externals?

Job openings are advertised internally first, so there shouldn't be much, if any, internal competition to external advertisements.

KneeOn

I felt awful and did not expect to pass the bench mark.

I did pass the bench mark and have also applied for London Bridge. Martin.g found out his news and im still waiting so it could be positive or it could be the order they're going through things.

In truth it is very difficult to know how you have done until you see the email telling you.

martin.g

Hot off the press, heres the reply for being rejected for London Bridge

"Signalling vacancies are progressed on the basis of your online test scores and the questions you answered at the time of applying.

Priority is given in all signalling recruitment to internal employees who are currently signallers, and if there is no one suitable then external applicants are brought into play.

All external applicants’ scores are ranked, so if you continue to receive a rejection it may be that you are not answering the application questions to the same standard as other applicants"

Lol, doesn't help much. May be time to move on to a new career change I think!!!

svrdan

"Signalling vacancies are progressed on the basis of your online test scores and the questions you answered at the time of applying.

Priority is given in all signalling recruitment to internal employees who are currently signallers, and if there is no one suitable then external applicants are brought into play.

All external applicants’ scores are ranked, so if you continue to receive a rejection it may be that you are not answering the application questions to the same standard as other applicants"

Lol, doesn't help much. May be time to move on to a new career change I think!!!

I find that intresting, I contacted HR about how this works, and as the vaccency ive gone in for is a "Volume Vaccency". Its Slightly Different.

"The people that are now on the vacancy have scored above the required benchmark and so the hiring manager can take anyone, regardless of where they rank. Generally the higher scorers may be more likely to be chosen but there are no guarantees."

My Guess is that what others have said, The role must be in a higher grade box where a load of internals have gone in for and smashed the tests out of the park. Ive always found, try to start at the lowest grade if you can and move up internally.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just had an email saying I'm now under consideration with the hiring manager! Quite excited

svrdan

Having now completed the tests, the Numerical Reasoning was pretty awful.

Knowing about Proportinate Ratios etc are a huge must to become a bobby it seems.

Think ive done reasionably well on the Verbal and SJT. Just Hoping the maths aint disastrous.

Well Done Martin. Your on your way.

TRain87

Having now completed the tests, the Numerical Reasoning was pretty awful.

Knowing about Proportinate Ratios etc are a huge must to become a bobby it seems.

Think ive done reasionably well on the Verbal and SJT. Just Hoping the maths aint disastrous.

Well Done Martin. Your on your way.

I was offered a job, under the old scheme of the assessment day. I also had another application open and was asked to do the new scheme. I spoke to HR today and the pass rate for each test is 31 out of 80. Luckily I was offered a job as I completed the tests and got 32 on SJT, 30 on verbal and 79 on maths which would have meant I failed. The scores are kept for 6 months, but I don't intend to apply for anything soon.....

Lesson to be learned - make sure you do the practice tests as I didn't and don't complete the tests when in a rush

KneeOn

I have a quick question for you and I'm sorry if it seems like I am taking advantage of your rejection.

Did you ever get the email where you were being assessed by a hiring manager and did your online status ever change to "under consideration for assessment 2?"

Don't give up. I'd email them back and thank them for the feedback and ask if there were any specific competencies that you didn't hit on your questions - not only will it show that you're genuinely interested you might find that you did have a really good example and didn't use it for next time around.

The bit regarding internal/external is interesting. Not enough internal candidates so it goes out to the externals and the best internal and externals are interviewed is how I read it. So only really badly written/performing internal candidates miss out on interview which makes some sense I suppose.

Keep trying bud.

martin.g

Hello Kneeon, yes I did get the email saying under consideration for assessment 2. It was at this stage for 11 days before reject letter came through. I'm going too try for a couple more locally if any come up cause I'm away other side of UK altogether, shouldn't make a difference but I'm sure it does

nom de guerre

My Guess is that what others have said, The role must be in a higher grade box where a load of internals have gone in for and smashed the tests out of the park.

Just to clarify, internals don't take those tests. We are benchmarked based on our answers to the Experience Profile.

Last edited:

rph201

I have a quick question for you and I'm sorry if it seems like I am taking advantage of your rejection.

Did you ever get the email where you were being assessed by a hiring manager and did your online status ever change to "under consideration for assessment 2?"

Don't give up. I'd email them back and thank them for the feedback and ask if there were any specific competencies that you didn't hit on your questions - not only will it show that you're genuinely interested you might find that you did have a really good example and didn't use it for next time around.

The bit regarding internal/external is interesting. Not enough internal candidates so it goes out to the externals and the best internal and externals are interviewed is how I read it. So only really badly written/performing internal candidates miss out on interview which makes some sense I suppose.

Keep trying bud.

Yes my latest email correspondence states 'under consideration by hiring manager' but on the job home website it shows as 'under consideration for assessment 2'. So sounds like a similar situation to yourself KneeOn. Where was your role?

KneeOn

Yes my latest email correspondence states 'under consideration by hiring manager' but on the job home website it shows as 'under consideration for assessment 2'. So sounds like a similar situation to yourself KneeOn. Where was your role?

I'm waiting for London Bridge ASC - that's the one i'm stage 2 for.

I've had my tests transferred for Three Bridges ROC too.

KneeOn

Hello Kneeon, yes I did get the email saying under consideration for assessment 2. It was at this stage for 11 days before reject letter came through. I'm going too try for a couple more locally if any come up cause I'm away other side of UK altogether, shouldn't make a difference but I'm sure it does

Thank you, I'm at the same stage as you then so waiting to see what happens. Best of luck applying for other boxes :)

carriageline

Established Member
TBRoc jobs, if people are interested are for:
1x grade 8 on the Streatham panel
1x grade 8 on Thameslink
1x grade 6 on the East Sussex

smartemarte

somehow managed to pass the maths test (haven't used that sort of maths since school!)

got an interview next week on Tuesday, anyone have any advice for the interview? I've done some research on where about's the box is and i'm looking at the 8 non technical skills. Am I right in thinking these are the skills below? can't find them on the website!
Conscientiousness – the ability to work diligently, with a positive attitude and be willing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Relationships with People – the ability to work with others in the team in a positive, respectful and supportive manner; providing support and help when needed and managing conflict when required.

Communications – the ability to communicate both verbally and in written format clearly and concisely and to stand your ground as necessary.

Willingness and Ability to Learn – the ability and motivation to be trained, retain information, apply it in the work environment and learn and develop on the job.

Planning and Decision Making – the ability to anticipate, plan and prioritise activities.

Multi Task Capacity – the ability to successfully carry out more than one task at a time.

Controlled Under Pressure – the ability to cope in emergency or degraded situations.

Attention Management – the ability to remain alert and focussed, to manage distractions, and keep an awareness of the overall situation.

TRain87

somehow managed to pass the maths test (haven't used that sort of maths since school!)

got an interview next week on Tuesday, anyone have any advice for the interview? I've done some research on where about's the box is and i'm looking at the 8 non technical skills. Am I right in thinking these are the skills below? can't find them on the website!
Conscientiousness – the ability to work diligently, with a positive attitude and be willing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Relationships with People – the ability to work with others in the team in a positive, respectful and supportive manner; providing support and help when needed and managing conflict when required.

Communications – the ability to communicate both verbally and in written format clearly and concisely and to stand your ground as necessary.

Willingness and Ability to Learn – the ability and motivation to be trained, retain information, apply it in the work environment and learn and develop on the job.

Planning and Decision Making – the ability to anticipate, plan and prioritise activities.

Multi Task Capacity – the ability to successfully carry out more than one task at a time.

Controlled Under Pressure – the ability to cope in emergency or degraded situations.

Attention Management – the ability to remain alert and focussed, to manage distractions, and keep an awareness of the overall situation.

Yes the 8 non technical skills are as described. Revise them until they are etched into your brain! That's all you need for interview

Spectroscopic

Congratulations! Which box is it?

smartemarte

Congratulations! Which box is it?

thank you :)

Crag Hall in Middlesbrough, level 2 so a good place to start for an outsider I think!

Really hope I get it but I know its going to be hard. Doing my research and learning the 8 non technical skills so hopefully that is enough! i'll let everyone know how it goes either way in case it can help someone in the future.

I spoke to a signaller from a local box in person and he was really helpful and gave me some valuable information. Told me how much he loved his job which just adds even more pressure on me because of how much I want it!

Touch wood I've been lucky so far and seem to have missed the practical tests that a lot of people have done (maybe its just the online tests now)

Lasbrisas

Can anyone on here advise on how close you have to live to the vacancy location and is there any problem applying for multiple vacancies.

Spectroscopic

Can anyone on here advise on how close you have to live to the vacancy location and is there any problem applying for multiple vacancies.

I would go almost anywhere to accept a signalling job. I currently have ten applications under consideration for locations up and down the country. Whether they will look unfavourably on candidates who have to relocate I have no idea...

Maybe someone who currently works for NR can enlighten us?

TRain87

I would go almost anywhere to accept a signalling job. I currently have ten applications under consideration for locations up and down the country. Whether they will look unfavourably on candidates who have to relocate I have no idea...

Maybe someone who currently works for NR can enlighten us?

I had many applications open, I was successful in getting a relief role - meaning I cover 3 stations, the furthest one is 1hr15mins away. I wasn't asked to relocate. I started the role this week - off to school on 13th March

Lasbrisas

I had many applications open, I was successful in getting a relief role - meaning I cover 3 stations, the furthest one is 1hr15mins away. I wasn't asked to relocate. I started the role this week - off to school on 13th March

Did you have to do the tests multiple times or just the once to cover all the applications.

Lasbrisas

Just once mate

Ok Thanks, and regarding the initial online application with the 70 questions, would I be right in saying that the first 35 should be answered fully but the following one's seem to be aimed at internal recruits and should be answered with a NO. I'm sure I have seen elsewhere on this forum someone saying the same.

TRain87

Ok Thanks, and regarding the initial online application with the 70 questions, would I be right in saying that the first 35 should be answered fully but the following one's seem to be aimed at internal recruits and should be answered with a NO. I'm sure I have seen elsewhere on this forum someone saying the same.

I answered all that I had experience in. Any that I didn't I just put N/A - applications have been accepted at first stage for all jobs I applied for

Status
Not open for further replies.