• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will they make more money without first class on the Windsor side or is it just to standardise the rolling stock and that type won't have first class?

They don't have first class on most Windsor side trains already. That's why the 458/5s had it removed. In broad terms I think the possibility of a future reduction only applies to Reading services. There may be some other odd exceptions, but yes it looks like fleet standardisation.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They don't have first class on most Windsor side trains already. That's why the 458/5s had it removed. In broad terms I think the possibility of a future reduction only applies to Reading services. There may be some other odd exceptions, but yes it looks like fleet standardisation.

Yes my understanding is that first class fares are only applicable on the Reading services and when trains with first class accommodation are used on the Windsor and Eton and Weybridge services the 1st class is declassified.

Or have I been a very naughty boy over the last 5 years :oops:

On Moderation
Interesting to see from the SWR timetables that the Bournemouth line now runs Waterloo - Woking - Clapham - Basingstoke... And that the West of England line goes through "Sailsbury" and ends at "Exter St. David's".

What sort of amateurs do we now have running the show? If that's the attention to detail they can manage, then there will be some problems ahead.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Interesting to see from the SWR timetables that the Bournemouth line now runs Waterloo - Woking - Clapham - Basingstoke... And that the West of England line goes through "Sailsbury" and ends at "Exter St. David's".

What sort of amateurs do we now have running the show? If that's the attention to detail they can manage, then there will be some problems ahead.

Ah yes, because no other TOC has made an error in their timetables. :roll:

They misspelt Salisbury. That must mean the trains will now never run on time, and there will be faults daily with things being put in the wrong place.

On Moderation
Ah yes, because no other TOC has made an error in their timetables. :roll:

They misspelt Salisbury. That must mean the trains will now never run on time, and there will be faults daily with things being put in the wrong place.
But this is multiple mistakes, and on the cover of the timetables, too. They cannot have been proof read at all. It's just sloppy.

And to quote a former boss of mine: if they can't get something basic like that right, what else are they not doing correctly?

Established Member
But this is multiple mistakes, and on the cover of the timetables, too. They cannot have been proof read at all. It's just sloppy.

And to quote a former boss of mine: if they can't get something basic like that right, what else are they not doing correctly?

I agree with your former boss, but I wonder who "they" are. The people making these mistakes are likely to be the same people that prepared the timetable leaflets under SWT. Perhaps the former directors knew how illiterate they were and checked everything they did; maybe the new directors haven't discovered that yet. What ought to happen is that the people now in charge tell those preparing the timetable leaflets to get it right, or they'll be transferred to the job of customer assistant at Vauxhall.

GodAtum

On Moderation
You replace 8 standard seats with 8 first seats around two tables. That's a reduction of 8 first seats per unit.

However there is allegedly no requirement to increase first class seats into Waterloo during the franchise therefore the first class in the extra class 442s return the number of first class to their 2017 number.

I take the train to Guildford and am worried about the reduction of first class seating. I an happy that on the 450s they are putting it in a sensible place, as I never seem to stand in the right place as at the moment I get a 50/50 chance!

MCR247

Established Member

Similar to Asda printing a load of commemorative bags for life for the launch of their Newport (IoW) store proudly stating "Newport, Isle of White" :lol:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I agree with your former boss, but I wonder who "they" are. The people making these mistakes are likely to be the same people that prepared the timetable leaflets under SWT. Perhaps the former directors knew how illiterate they were and checked everything they did; maybe the new directors haven't discovered that yet. What ought to happen is that the people now in charge tell those preparing the timetable leaflets to get it right, or they'll be transferred to the job of customer assistant at Vauxhall.

Hmm... so you think that it would be a good idea to put somebody who thinks that Clapham is 'beyond Woking' in a passenger-facing role at Vauxhall.

Right. Any more ideas, such as training?:roll:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I an happy that on the 450s they are putting it in a sensible place, as I never seem to stand in the right place as at the moment I get a 50/50 chance!

Nothing has been formally announced about re-arranging interiors of 450s, has it?

Established Member
Hmm... so you think that it would be a good idea to put somebody who thinks that Clapham is 'beyond Woking' in a passenger-facing role at Vauxhall.

Right. Any more ideas, such as training?:roll:

I'm trying to work out what training would be necessary for someone who works on the south western rail network in an important job compiling information for the public, but cannot spell at least two of its major destinations, doesn't know where Clapham is in relation to Waterloo and Woking, and doesn't check their work before it goes to be printed and distributed. I think such a person is so far away from what the job requires that training would be an unrealistic waste of time.

But I agree with you that being customer assistant at Vauxhall might also tax this person's abilities and commitment. Can you suggest a more suitable station to which they should be re-located?

smilerish

Could it be added, though? From memory (the website seems to be down now?) the SWR website promised new PIS on all mainland trains including loading information.
I expect they can do anything at the right price. I'd missed that proposal so you may well be right.

Now the website is back up, I've been able to check this and I think I may have taken 2 + 2 and made 5! Sorry about that.

From https://www.southwesternrailway.com/other/about-us/our-plan/customer-experience:

• We’ll deliver live updates to passenger information screens on our mainland trains by December 2020
  • We’ll be giving passengers at stations live information on seating availability, letting you know where best to stand to board emptier carriages

The first point suggests (to me) that all their trains will get real-time PIS. The second indicates that live seating information will be available, but it doesn't say on all trains so maybe it won't be on the 450/444's.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Now the website is back up, I've been able to check this and I think I may have taken 2 + 2 and made 5! Sorry about that.

From https://www.southwesternrailway.com/other/about-us/our-plan/customer-experience:

The first point suggests (to me) that all their trains will get real-time PIS. The second indicates that live seating information will be available, but it doesn't say on all trains so maybe it won't be on the 450/444's.

Could the 444s and 450s have the same PIS as the Desiro Cities retrofitted to them?

smilerish

Could the 444s and 450s have the same PIS as the Desiro Cities retrofitted to them?
That's what I imagine they would do. If they're replacing the PIS with a real-time system, why use two different systems if they don't have to?

Whether the City PIS can interact with the passenger loading sensors on the 444/450s is another question, though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You replace 8 standard seats with 8 first seats around two tables. That's a reduction of 8 first seats per unit.

Depends how they do it. There could be no reduction if they have 1st either at both ends of the train or both sides of the first vestibule at one end like the 321 did.

moley

Depends how they do it. There could be no reduction if they have 1st either at both ends of the train or both sides of the first vestibule at one end like the 321 did.

If it's both sides of the first vestibule then that's standard class standing space lost in capacity calculations. I am led to believe this is why the 444s have a mixed carriage as then the 2nd vestibule is classed as standard class standing space. If it was a full first class carriage then both vestibules would be considered first class and this affects capacity calcs.

Goldfish62

Established Member

The award announcement stated that all trains will have live PIS.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes my understanding is that first class fares are only applicable on the Reading services and when trains with first class accommodation are used on the Windsor and Eton and Weybridge services the 1st class is declassified.

Or have I been a very naughty boy over the last 5 years :oops:
If that is the case, I'm sure there have been times when I could have sat in the first class carriage but didn't.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm trying to work out what training would be necessary for someone who works on the south western rail network in an important job compiling information for the public, but cannot spell at least two of its major destinations, doesn't know where Clapham is in relation to Waterloo and Woking, and doesn't check their work before it goes to be printed and distributed. I think such a person is so far away from what the job requires that training would be an unrealistic waste of time.

But I agree with you that being customer assistant at Vauxhall might also tax this person's abilities and commitment. Can you suggest a more suitable station to which they should be re-located?
The person creating the timetable should of course check their work but I'd argue that so should someone else. There should be a proof back from the printers and then the final yes.

Established Member
The person creating the timetable should of course check their work but I'd argue that so should someone else. There should be a proof back from the printers and then the final yes.

Yes, more than one person has slipped up here. Maybe with the pressure of taking over the franchise some checks that normally occur didn't happen. But the person who initiates the timetable leaflets should be efficient and reliable enough not to make basic howlers.

Agent_Squash

Established Member

pompeyfan

Established Member
Not strictly relevant, but not worth its own thread, is there any plans to in the franchise spec to address the Romsey rocket services?

2 car 158s are completely unsuitable for the service, but where only 3 units are required it's not worth having a micro fleet of more suitable trains....

How would you address it?

Is there any chance GWR might take it back and run 3 car 150s on it?

Am I just being melodramatic?

Suraggu

Not strictly relevant, but not worth its own thread, is there any plans to in the franchise spec to address the Romsey rocket services?

2 car 158s are completely unsuitable for the service, but where only 3 units are required it's not worth having a micro fleet of more suitable trains....

How would you address it?

Is there any chance GWR might take it back and run 3 car 150s on it?

Am I just being melodramatic?

Your being extremely melodramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.