• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New starter - Covid-19 impact on employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

richfoz84

I’ve heard from HR at northern. I was supposed to start trainee conductor role on 11th May. They’re hoping to have start date for me this month, but I’ve to do my medical again because of the length of time that has elapsed, not a problem though. Just happy that there’s some movement.

been told they’ll be in touch with people once they have confirmation the training academy can re open.. she wasn’t sure how long that would be.
I’m pencilled in for one of the next two trainee driver courses she said.
She said they’re aware people will need to give notice periods etc so will do their best!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I suspect tomorrow (Monday 15th June) could be a good day for things to start moving again. Without going too much off topic - I know of four different people who work outside the rail industry who are going back to their respective work places tomorrow having been furloughed or working remotely since March. My point is that these are positive steps for people with on-going applications as things will start to move again in coming weeks. It is still only baby steps but it can only be good news for anyone on here who has been waiting patiently for a long time.

CJ

Coach Carter

Update on driver training from the union

Attachments

• aslef bulletin 10 060920.pdf
    106.3 KB · Views: 275

TeaTrain

Thanks. I can't complain really! My son was born the week I was due to commence and instead I have been able to watch him grow and spend time as a family. All while being paid.

DB0161

Guys I was back in the training academy in Manchester today commencing with the syllabus so don't worry things are moving again.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I dare ask this question, but is this training issue likely to affect over roles too?

For example Trainee conductors & Train Managers are classroom based to begin with.

Alot of forum members on here (including myself) are still waiting on news of applications for non driving TOC roles that include training.

CJ

DB0161

I dare ask this question, but is this training issue likely to affect over roles too?

For example Trainee conductors & Train Managers are classroom based to begin with.

Alot of forum members on here (including myself) are still waiting on news of applications for non driving TOC roles that include training.

CJ
I think you will be through the academy doors even quicker now as the length of the courses at the academy has been shortened as no practical based training can currently take place. I think the plan is to get people in and trained up on the theory side of things asap then people can be sent to depots and stations for the practical side of training once restrictions are lifted.

LouiseC

been told they’ll be in touch with people once they have confirmation the training academy can re open.. she wasn’t sure how long that would be.
I’m pencilled in for one of the next two trainee driver courses she said.
She said they’re aware people will need to give notice periods etc so will do their best!
I’ve been given a start date for a conductor role of 27th July, long time coming but worth the wait. I’m very pleased.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Does anyone know what is going on with Northern recruitment?

They added more vacancies to their careers board yesterday (Thursday 2nd July) but yet they have not provided updates about jobs they advertised back in April & May.

It seems odd that if recruitment is at a stand still because of Covid19 - why advertise new vacancies if they cannot progress the older ones?

CJ

Stigy

Established Member

They added more vacancies to their careers board yesterday (Thursday 2nd July) but yet they have not provided updates about jobs they advertised back in April & May.

It seems odd that if recruitment is at a stand still because of Covid19 - why advertise new vacancies if they cannot progress the older ones?

CJ
How do you know they’ve not progressed the older ones? It may just be that they’ve not updated their website or sent notifications to candidates? It also depends on the job I’d imagine and how vital they are to the business. In April/May, things were at a peak. The same jobs may have been withdrawn due to the current business needs etc. Other roles may since have come up which are pivotal to the running of the business operationally (like Guards/Drivers/Fitters etc?).

Fokx

CJ

Because it can frequently take up to a year for applicants to first apply, then sometimes be placed into a talent pool and then be accepted into a role.

If you were to apply today I can almost guarantee you wouldn’t be hearing back for some time

richfoz84

It took 5 months from my initial northern application to hearing back for an interview. And that’s without all the current issues. So you’ll have to bare with it I’m afraid. By the time I start It’ll have been a year long process

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Another forum member has mentioned that recruitment has ground to a halt with Northern because of Covid19 and most (if not all) people's applications have been affected by the knock on effect it has caused many workplaces (I.E. remote working, reduced staffing).

I totally get that - I accepted long ago that the wheels of recruitment will take a long time to move forward again in light of what the country has experienced since March.

What I can't get my head around is if there is a backlog of applications and the recruitment people are working in difficult circumstances with increasing workloads why are new vacancies being advertised which will only add to the congestion in the system?

CJ

lammergeier

Another forum member has mentioned that recruitment has ground to a halt with Northern because of Covid19 and most (if not all) people's applications have been affected by the knock on effect it has caused many workplaces (I.E. remote working, reduced staffing).

I totally get that - I accepted long ago that the wheels of recruitment will take a long time to move forward again in light of what the country has experienced since March.

What I can't get my head around is if there is a backlog of applications and the recruitment people are working in difficult circumstances with increasing workloads why are new vacancies being advertised which will only add to the congestion in the system?

CJ

It's a fair question. Also, since the industry seems so keen to scare away passengers right now ( https://mobile.twitter.com/Richard_rail/status/1278973162856865792 )
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw fewer but longer trains long term. This will obviously mean fewer staff needed, so it does surprise me that recruitment is being started up when the picture is so uncertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.