• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

Kite159

Veteran Member
Is this proposal on the same site as the Wilton Parkway proposal put forward by TransWilts in 2015? That was only going to be a two platform station.

The site must have been moved closer to Salisbury, looking at a map I would put 10p on it being roughly where I've put some marks (as there looks to be enough space for the building etc.

Screenshot_20210313-101611_Maps~2.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Is this proposal on the same site as the Wilton Parkway proposal put forward by TransWilts in 2015? That was only going to be a two platform station.
Its Transwilts who have put forward the funding bid. The new proposal is quoted as being for 4 platforms to serve both SWR and GWR services.
The site must have been moved closer to Salisbury, looking at a map I would put 10p on it being roughly where I've put some marks (as there looks to be enough space for the building etc.

View attachment 92333
That would seem a sensible location.
Where was the proposed 2015 site?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Its Transwilts who have put forward the funding bid. The new proposal is quoted as being for 4 platforms to serve both SWR and GWR services.

That would seem a sensible location.
Where was the proposed 2015 site?
Basically just where the blue cross is, the 2015 station was going to “piggy back” on the existing park and ride for its access roads. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the Yeovil direction curved route, and limited room on the down side. Would the SWR side need 6 or 9 car platforms?

I also think there’s quite a height difference developing between the two routes, so the inner platforms in the angle between the two routes will be at different levels.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Whilst its predicted location is ideal for the park & ride, distance wise it really doesn't serve Wilton itself any better than the old North and South stations did. TBH who would drive to the car park to catch a train for the last few minutes into the city. Most would probably brave rush hour along Salisbury Road. How frequent is the current P&R bus?

JRT

Labour councillors Darren Byford and Lynn Masterman have announced that they were developing plans to build a railway station on the Huddersfield to Wakefield Kirkgate line.

The station is intended to serve Horbury and Ossett, and Cllr Masterman said two potential sites are being considered.
The councillors currently estimate the process of planning, funding and building the station will take five to seven years.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Basically just where the blue cross is, the 2015 station was going to “piggy back” on the existing park and ride for its access roads. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the Yeovil direction curved route, and limited room on the down side. Would the SWR side need 6 or 9 car platforms?

I also think there’s quite a height difference developing between the two routes, so the inner platforms in the angle between the two routes will be at different levels.

Would most likely be 6 coach platforms as 6 coaches is the max length for Exeter bound services

Whilst its predicted location is ideal for the park & ride, distance wise it really doesn't serve Wilton itself any better than the old North and South stations did. TBH who would drive to the car park to catch a train for the last few minutes into the city. Most would probably brave rush hour along Salisbury Road. How frequent is the current P&R bus?

It might see some use for residents in the Wilton area to catch a train further afield rather than just into Salisbury. Although the current P&R car-park might get filled if people use it as a "West Salisbury Parkway" to head towards London [or elsewhere] (saving the hassle of reaching the city centre station)

YorksLad12

Established Member
Labour councillors Darren Byford and Lynn Masterman have announced that they were developing plans to build a railway station on the Huddersfield to Wakefield Kirkgate line.

The station is intended to serve Horbury and Ossett, and Cllr Masterman said two potential sites are being considered.
The councillors currently estimate the process of planning, funding and building the station will take five to seven years.
Hurrah for local councillors! They know how to get things done. Who needs feasability studies, project teams or funding and suchlike? I bet they've even chosen the font for the station entrance.

Less snottily: Ossett/Horbury and Ossett comes up every few years; the track doesn't serve the centre, it's an hourly service at best (is there a Sunday service?) and it's not in Leeds so won't have money thrown at it regardless (see Airport Parkway and White Rose - which might be delivered early under Project Speed). And they want it to help people get to Wakefield... so that they can get to Leeds! Quicker to drive to Dewsbury, with a better service too. Or if you want one train per hour, Ravensthorpe. Eesh.

(Also: Horbury and Ossett closed to passengers in 1962.)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Wednesday 24 March: Construction work underway at Reston, as per tweet from Network Rail. See #25 in the Reston Station thread, thanks to @InOban

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Construction work has started at Marsh Barton station in Devon - as discussed here.
East Linton anticipated opening revised to 'by 2024'.

#1 updated.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Saturday 17 April:
Marsh Barton: Updated the anticipated opening date (late 2022), other options reported are December 2022 and winter 2022.
Reading Green Park: added a note regarding the anticipated opening date.

flitwickbeds

Now that the EWR route has been decided, should Wixams be added to the "2023 and beyond (less certainty)" category?

kevin_roche

I don't trust what is shown on the on the green park website. The Map of the site shows the station as Complete 2020!

Progress seems very slow. Last weekend. I took some photos which look quite similar to the photos posted previously. There are a couple more on the Reading Green Park Thread.

I think the problem is that the station end of the site is still being developed. Until they finish construction you won't be able to get close to the station unless they open the road and that will make construction more awkward. I have attached a marked up map from the green_park web site. The blue X shows a road closure which prevents access to the road by the station from Kirtons Farm road and blue outline shows the area where new buildings and roads are still being built.

green_park.png_DSF6193_am.jpg

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Now that the EWR route has been decided, should Wixams be added to the "2023 and beyond (less certainty)" category?
Possibly, but on balance not yet.

The proposed station seems to have some funding attached to it, but no planning permission. A thread discussing progress is here: Wixams station progress updates.

I do not wish the table at #1 to become a long list of every possible new station. It would become very unwieldy and I would not be able to keep it up to date - currently 167 proposals on my long list, plus schemes with multiple stations, and I haven't looked at the many glossy strategy documents published by PTA's and the like.

Ideally #1 would be a short list of stations where physical delivery is confirmed. Preferably 'shovels in the ground', failing that a signed contract with a firm delivery date. Or to put it another way, a calendar of new stations rather than a list of proposals.

This first post lists only those stations considered to have a good chance of being delivered in a reasonable timescale. I have taken the list ‘as is’ at December 2020 and will update it when there is new information from a reliable source, which essentially means a public statement by Network Rail or a TOC. Statements by a funding body, a development partner, a Local Authority or Government will also be considered.

I have created a new thread for all the speculative proposals that I have identified to date: New Stations and Schemes - a comprehensive list of speculative proposals

Tuesday 20 April:
Hazelwell, Kings Heath and Moseley - moved up the table to '2023 and beyond (highly likely)' as full funding has been secured. Preparatory works are underway at Moseley.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Update 15 June 2021:

Some news regarding Cambridge South. Network Rail has commenced the Transport and Works Act Order process. See #297 (page 10) on this thread:
Cambridge South

andreading

Reading Green Park continues its glacial build.

Attachments

• SAM_2036.JPG
    SAM_2036.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
  • SAM_2038.JPG
    SAM_2038.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 60

kevin_roche

Thank you for posting the photos. I was planning to go and take some myself. You have saved me from wasting my time. I am very upset by the slow progress.

Last edited:

Bigman

Looks like White Rose station in Leeds has got the go ahead and will be starting later this year with a view to opening in 2022.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Looks like White Rose station in Leeds has got the go ahead and will be starting later this year with a view to opening in 2022.
Is that the Network Rail construction estimate? If so, expect it to open in May 2023 at the earliest... ;)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Any details?

I have it as 'planning permission granted' which is one form of having been given the go ahead but is pretty meaningless in terms of whether and when it will actually be built.
I also have its status as 'period 2017-22 Activity 5: Full Business Case with finalised costs', so not quite a go ahead but carry on the work preparing the business case then come back and ask again.

A construction tender issued, returned, evaluated, approved, signed by all parties and with a start and completion date in ink (or blood) is my kind of 'go ahead'. Shovels in the ground is 'going ahead'. After that we are in the hands of the construction gods as to whether it will be opened by the contracted date. Crossrail springs to mind here for some reason.

Bigman

Any details?

I have it as 'planning permission granted' which is one form of having been given the go ahead but is pretty meaningless in terms of whether and when it will actually be built.
I also have its status as 'period 2017-22 Activity 5: Full Business Case with finalised costs', so not quite a go ahead but carry on the work preparing the business case then come back and ask again.

A construction tender issued, returned, evaluated, approved, signed by all parties and with a start and completion date in ink (or blood) is my kind of 'go ahead'. Shovels in the ground is 'going ahead'. After that we are in the hands of the construction gods as to whether it will be opened by the contracted date. Crossrail springs to mind here for some reason.
It was mentioned on the Leeds Live website this morning. That's all I know I am afraid.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Just how long will it be when Network Rail ceases to exist and becomes part of "The Brave New Railway World"?
Good point - make that December 2023, as they'll need to change the logos on the shovels...

More relevantly: the WYCA Transport Committee papers for the meeting on 2 July show that White Rose has received £5m from the New Stations Fund (Thorpe Park got £7m). They've also bid £36.49m for Elland Station and access from the Levelling Up Fund!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The link to the Leeds Live story is here: White Rose article

I have had the misfortune to read it, and I think it basically says that Leeds City Council is to loan public money to a private company so that the private company can meets its commitment to contribute towards an otherwise publicly funded scheme. I hope the council taxpayers of Leeds get their money back.

Note the word 'could' in the headline, enough said. I could win the lottery this weekend.

Work on £22m train station near White Rose Centre could start this year as plans get green light

Construction of the new station could start in autumn this year and be finished by late 2022

A new rail station near the White Rose Centre is now one step closer after Leeds City Council decision-makers agreed to push forward plans for the site.

Members of the council’s decision-making executive board agreed to provide a loan to landowners and developers Munroe K for a new station at White Rose Office Park, which could be built as early as next year.

Previous plans to bring forward a new rail station on the site had suggested the closure of nearby Cottingley Station, but neither the latest documents, nor any members at the Executive Board meeting, made any such reference.

Briefly presenting the item to colleagues, the council’s deputy leader Coun Debra Coupar (Lab) said: “It is much needed in that area of the city around ensuring we have good economic recovery and employment facility for local residents.”

A document by Leeds City Council officers states: “The station will support the city’s response to the climate emergency by helping to take cars off the road to improve air quality and reduce carbon emissions.

“It will improve accessibility of rail services and better serve the communities of Cottingley, Churwell and Millshaw, whilst also better connecting people to jobs, education and training.”

It added that Munroe K would act as the developer of the station, and that construction could start in autumn this year and be finished by late 2022.

The station is forecast to cost around £22m, with £5m expected to come from the council’s Connecting Leeds grant scheme; £5m from the Government’s New Stations Fund, £12m from its Transforming Cities Fund, and “up to £4.5m” from Munroe K.

Leeds City Council plans to provide a loan facility to Munroe K to finance the company’s “maximum contribution to the scheme”.

The report added: “This is to ensure momentum to the station is maintained, whilst helping to accelerate the delivery of economic and environmental benefits.”

An area of land between Churwell viaduct to the north and Walkers Bridge to the south had been earmarked for the development.

A council report from June 2020 had suggested that the building of a new White Rose Station could spell the end for nearby Cottingley station, as having two rail stations situated in such close proximity may not be viable.

The latest report does not make reference to any closure of other stations, though it does include the line: “It will improve accessibility of rail services and better serve the communities of Cottingley, Churwell and Millshaw, whilst also better connecting people to jobs, education and training.”

Last edited:

bluenoxid

Established Member
The link to the Leeds Live story is here: White Rose article

I have had the misfortune to read it, and I think it basically says that Leeds City Council is to loan public money to a private company so that the private company can meets its commitment to contribute towards an otherwise publicly funded scheme. I hope the council taxpayers of Leeds get their money back.

Note the word 'could' in the headline, enough said. I could win the lottery this weekend.

Leeds residents will be suspicious of this following the disappearance of millions loaned when an organisation building a hotel went bust in the last decade.

According to Get Reading, Reading Green Park station is now expected to open some time between April and June 2022.
A long anticipated new train station in Reading has hit further delays.
The opening of the Green Park Station has been pushed back by up to six months, after the combination of the coronavirus pandemic and Brexit compounded leading to delays to the project.
Transport bosses in Reading had hoped the station would be open by the end of 2021, but have revised that date, despite construction work continuing throughout the pandemic.
The station, which is near the Madejski Stadium, is now expected to be open to passengers sometime between April to June 2022, a Network Rail spokesman said.
Before the pandemic, the station had been scheduled to open in late 2020 but last October, Reading Borough Council's transport chief said it would be delayed until late summer 2021 “at the earliest” due to the pandemic.
Councillor Tony Page, lead member for Environment, Planning and Transport, said it is his understanding that the construction will be finished later this year, in October or November.
He added: “The problem we have is there then a commissioning period involving the train companies and Network Rail. That can take months. I think it would be four to six months normally”.
The deputy council leader said the delays have been caused by a mix of the pandemic and Brexit, creating a “perfect storm”.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/opening-new-reading-train-station-20890690

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
A browse of Real Time Trains reveals the following Crossrail stations (already known) and their station codes:

New National Rail stations:
Bond Street [BDS]
Canary Wharf [CWX]
Custom House [CUS]
Tottenham Court Road [TCR]
Woolwich [WWC]

Additions to existing National Rail stations:
Paddington Crossrail [PDX]
Farringdon Crossrail [FDX]
Liverpool Street Crossrail [LSX]
Whitechapel Crossrail [WHX]
Abbey Wood Crossrail [ABX]