• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

Glenn1969

Established Member
My view is that a Parkway serves as a railhead for a large catchment area, attracting motorists from that wide area by having a large car park, the motorist then makes long(ish) journeys onwards by train. The parkway station removes the need for drivers to enter a congested city centre in order to then make thier rail journey. Park and Ride, like its bus equivalent, may still attract drivers from a wide area but their onward journey is a short hop into town, again reducing traffic on the most congested leg of the overall journey.

As for Portway, the adjacent bus served facility is known as Portway Park and Ride. Naming the station as Portway Parkway would potentially lead to confusion in the minds of the general public ie are there two car parks or one? Does the bus serve the same car park as the train? If Portway Park and Ride car park shows as full, how far is it to Portway Parkway car park instead and are there spaces available there?

But, for the real purpose of this Station Calendar thread, has construction actually started? I searched Bristol Council website and West of England Combined Authority but can find no recent press releases, project management updates, or such. The latest published information being a response to a public question at a board meeting in January.
The station's Wiki page says £1.4m of the spend has moved to the 21/22 financial year and is vague on an opening date saying only that it comes within MetroWest's plan for 2020-25 period

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrd269697

Slightly off topic, but I’ve noticed talk of the four stations in Wales which were due to be built - Carno, Deeside Parkway, Ely Mill and St Clears - has gone quiet. Any developments on these?

I take a special interest in the welsh network, especially considering how poorly served it is by rail (south east corner excluded).

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but I’ve noticed talk of the four stations in Wales which were due to be built - Carno, Deeside Parkway, Ely Mill and St Clears - has gone quiet. Any developments on these?

I take a special interest in the welsh network, especially considering how poorly served it is by rail (south east corner excluded).

Carno - on the Welsh Government New Railway Station Prioritisation - seems unlikely, I recall the issue was line capacity.

Deeside Industrial Park/Northern Gateway - 12 priority stations - April 2017, shortlist of 5, on the Welsh Government New Railway Station Prioritisation. Approved for funding to develop proposals under New Stations Fund - round 3. NOTE funding to develop proposals, not funding to build the station.

Ely Mill (Cardiff: Ely Mill/Victoria Park) - 12 priority stations - April 2017, shortlist of 5, on the Welsh Government New Railway Station Prioritisation.

St Clears - 12 priority stations list - April 2017. Funding approved under New Stations Fund - round 3. "The successful stations are to be completed within CP6 with a deadline for completion by April 2024."

St Clears is the only one with any kind of date attached to it.

SargeNpton

Established Member
What is your source, please? As at a month ago the promoter's project manager was adamant it would be 'Portway Park & Ride'.
Informed sources, but there is plenty in the public domain - such as this from Network Rail about a third of the way down the page...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Informed sources, but there is plenty in the public domain - such as this from Network Rail about a third of the way down the page...

That Network Rail page is undated but yonks out of date. It makes no reference to Marsh Barton, White Rose or East Leeds Parkway, all announced some months ago. The map could also do with updating, having Warrington West as 'in progress'. But I am glad to discover that 'together we can end domestic abuse'.

How informed are your sources? I don't wish to turn into a Wikipedia verification type but a sauce supporting your factoid would be useful if I am to change the current entry.

SargeNpton

Established Member
That Network Rail page is undated but yonks out of date. It makes no reference to Marsh Barton, White Rose or East Leeds Parkway, all announced some months ago. The map could also do with updating, having Warrington West as 'in progress'. But I am glad to discover that 'together we can end domestic abuse'.

How informed are your sources? I don't wish to turn into a Wikipedia verification type but a sauce supporting your factoid would be useful if I am to change the current entry.
Sent you a private message.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Sent you a private message.
We have competing claims, both with inside knowledge, regarding the name of Portway Parkway Park & Ride. I think I'll get a myself a deckchair and a bottle of beer and await developments.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

The Planner

Veteran Member
It is down as Portway Park and Ride on our side, PTWYPR is the TIPLOC, 81246 is the STANOX. Been like that since mid 2019.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
11 September 2021:
Updates to status of East Linton (planning permission granted) and Elland (planning application submitted).

16 September 2021:
Added a link to a new thread discussing Skelmersdale Station.
Discussion here

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Full text of the article referred to by @WesternBiker

Beam Park Station update

Beam Park Station update-Jon Cruddas MP

Following last weeks revelations which highlighted the Government had pulled funding for a new station on the Beam Park development site, Jon Cruddas MP has now learned that the proposed new c2c station was fully funded by the GLA and developers. In addition to the construction, the GLA and London Mayor’s office had also offered the Department of Transport £10million to protect the government against the cost of operational deficit for the first 10 years.

Mr Cruddas MP said: “This discovery blows the whole situation wide open. We now know that the delivery and ongoing cost of a new station poses no financial risk for the government, yet they have withdrawn approval for the scheme, throwing the development of thousands of new homes into contention. We have also had confirmation from developers that delivery of a new Beam Park station was a condition of planning consent.”

In a letter to the service provider regarding their decision to withdraw approval for the scheme, the Government stated that the project was ‘poor value for money’ and that there would be issues with potential ‘ongoing operational subsidy’. However, Jon Cruddas has argued that the commitment of developers and the Greater London Authority completely undermines this position.

On Monday 27 September the Labour MP for Dagenham and Rainham met online with residents – both tenants and owners from across the development. Jon has pledged to keep the pressure on Government regarding this issue, and is working closely with the Deputy London Mayors for Transport and Housing to hold the Department of Transport to account. The campaign to see Beam Park station has also garnered the support of developers Countryside.

Jon added: “These revelations reinforce our suspicions that despite their talk of ‘levelling up’, the Tories are determined to grind communities like ours to a halt. Government policy is completely out of sync as we see the Tories put more pressure on local authorities to increase housing targets and then pull the infrastructure needed to support those communities. It just won’t stand, and we will fight this all the way alongside local people.”

In the coming weeks the local MP will be writing out to every household across the south of his Dagenham and Rainham constituency, seeking the views of local people on the situation. In the meantime residents are urged to join the campaign and sign the petition: www.joncruddas.org.uk/beampark

InOban

Established Member
Network Rail has announced that work on the new station at Dalcross (Inverness Airport ) has begun. Due to complete December 22.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Network Rail has announced that work on the new station at Dalcross (Inverness Airport ) has begun. Due to complete December 22.

That's quick I thought, only 2 and a bit months! Silly me, I misread it as December 22 this year, which would be a nice Christmas present in a year of delays relating to new station completion.

Phillipimo

A possible new station at Cheadle in south Manchester.

It looks like Cheadle has won about £14m from the government and are looking to use £9m to build a station on the Chester-Manchester line, where this line crosses the B5095 near the Alexandra Hospital. Located on the site of the old LNWR Cheadle station closed in 1917. No mention of a possible opening date, just an initial consulation.

A masterplan has been revealed for a new railway station and walking and cycling improvements in Cheadle.
The railway station would be located on the Chester to Manchester Mid Cheshire rail line.
It would be approximately 100 metres north of Cheadle High Street and accessed from Manchester Road.
A package of walking and cycling measures have been developed that will provide access to the railway station and High Street.
The development will also connect to cycle routes in Abney Hall Park and on Manchester Road.

WesternBiker

And Charfield...

Charfield Station Consultation Begins

UK: South Gloucestershire Council opened a 12-week public consultation on proposals for a new station at Charfield on October 19.

The original station on the Bristol to Gloucester route closed in 1965. The new station would have two platforms, a footbridge, a bus stop, covered cycle parking and car parking.

The council has developed preliminary plans with funding from the West of England Combined Authority, appointed Network Rail to progress design work, and last month submitted an outline business case to the combined authority with a view to securing further funding.

It anticipates that a planning application will be submitted in April 2022, and a full business case in December 2022, with construction to start in 2023 for opening at the end of 2024. An hourly service is envisaged.

‘A new railway station for Charfield has been talked about for many years and it is really exciting to see that deliverable plans are coming forward’, said Cllr Steve Reade, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Environment & Strategic Infrastructure.

‘Improving the public transport network for our rural communities is vitally important and will enable more people to consider sustainable travel options, which in turn will help with the council’s climate emergency target to lower carbon emissions.’

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
A possible new station at Cheadle in south Manchester.

It looks like Cheadle has won about £14m from the government and are looking to use £9m to build a station on the Chester-Manchester line, where this line crosses the B5095 near the Alexandra Hospital. Located on the site of the old LNWR Cheadle station closed in 1917. No mention of a possible opening date, just an initial consulation.

The Greater Manchester Transport Strategy 2040 Delivery Plan - 2021 refresh states:
para 119: Over the next five years, we aim to complete business cases for the early delivery of stations in the areas of Leigh, Lostock Parkway, Little Hulton, Golborne, Slattocks, Dewsnap, Gamesley, Stanley Green and Cheadle.
I'm assuming it's the same Cheadle.

The current single line appears to be on the south side of the formation where it crosses the B5095 Manchester Road then slews to a central location through the proposed station site. There any proposals to redouble this section (Altrincham to Stockport), submitted under 'Restoring Your Railway'. Does the location of the new platform allow for re-doubling? A question to ask the council in their consultation rather than answer here perhaps.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I presume the reference to Lostock Parkway is meaning Wigan line platforms?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I presume the reference to Lostock Parkway is meaning Wigan line platforms?
I'll be honest, I haven't gone into intimate detail.

There are so many glossy wish-list documents floating around I tend to skim them rather than digest them. The long list of proposed stations (currently 614) grows at a quicker rate than stations are actually being built (perhaps three this calendar year).

The Greater Manchester Delivery Plan (referred to above) has nine named locations. Some locations may be obvious, others just vague references to an area of study. The full text of paragraph 119:
Over the next five years, we aim to complete business cases for the early delivery of stations in the areas of Leigh, Lostock Parkway, Little Hulton, Golborne, Slattocks,
Dewsnap, Gamesley, Stanley Green and Cheadle. Continued engagement with rail industry partners and central government is a crucial element of this ongoing process, in
order to identify opportunities to deliver and fund these new stations. It should be noted that only a small number of them could feasibly be delivered between now and 2040 due
to operational constraints, including the need to maintain a reliable and workable timetable. Greater Manchester will have to ensure all issues are considered before determining which are to be taken forward to delivery.

Lots of wiggle room there for Andy Burnham to scatter his magic beans, or not. Nine named locations, only a small number by 2040, meaning by definition that most will be post 2040, if ever.

The document also includes:
Map 1: In the next five years, we are committed to delivering... (not that much actually)
Map 2: In the next five years, we aim to complete business cases for early delivery of... (a glorious technicolour yawn of ideas)
Map 3: In the next five years, we will develop options for... (an even more glorious technicolour yawn of even grander ideas - but no reference to hyper-loop or flying cars that I can see).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Where along the Aberdeen->Inverness line is the new Dalcross station being located? In the general vicinity of Inverness Airport obviously, but where exactly?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Where along the Aberdeen->Inverness line is the new Dalcross station being located? In the general vicinity of Inverness Airport obviously, but where exactly?
I think just near the South West corner according to this webpage:
But earlier in the thread someone suggested it would be almost on the site of the old station, but I think the work there is to close the existing level crossing.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I think just near the South West corner according to this webpage:
But earlier in the thread someone suggested it would be almost on the site of the old station, but I think the work there is to close the existing level crossing.
Dalcross / Inverness Airport has it's own thread here

JKF

The station's Wiki page says £1.4m of the spend has moved to the 21/22 financial year and is vague on an opening date saying only that it comes within MetroWest's plan for 2020-25 period
I think this is the first appearance of the destination on RTT:

A milestone of sorts.

Surely they will need to increase service frequency (and capacity) from 3t/2hr if it’s to be viable as a Park and Ride station? Plus the lack of a central station in Bristol won’t help.

The exile

Established Member
I think this is the first appearance of the destination on RTT:

A milestone of sorts.

Surely they will need to increase service frequency (and capacity) from 3t/2hr if it’s to be viable as a Park and Ride station? Plus the lack of a central station in Bristol won’t help.
I believe one of the major justifications was that unlike the bus element of the P&R, the train offers a direct service to Clifton (and of course to Temple Meads for onward rail connections). It'll be 2tph from December.

JKF

I believe one of the major justifications was that unlike the bus element of the P&R, the train offers a direct service to Clifton (and of course to Temple Meads for onward rail connections). It'll be 2tph from December.
Is it foreseeable that they might redouble some of the line to allow for more services? There’s quite often compounded delays caused by units waiting at Clifton Down for the single line. 2tph will be harder to manage.