• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New-style Southeastern RTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Delay repay.

Will phone them up to request a cheque and see what they say.
Shouldn't really matter how you paid for the ticket then as it's compensation not a refund. The only options for compensation per the NRCoC are cash, cheque, BACS or RTV.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are entitled to compensation, you can (and, I'd argue, you should) insist they send it via cash/cheques/BACS as appropriate and not RTV if they are going to be making RTVs awkward.

gray1404 - have you informed GTR of you requiring compensation in a form that is convenient to you? If not, I suggest you do.

gray1404

Established Member
If you are entitled to compensation, you can (and, I'd argue, you should) insist they send it via cash/cheques/BACS as appropriate and not RTV if they are going to be making RTVs awkward.

gray1404 - have you informed GTR of you requiring compensation in a form that is convenient to you? If not, I suggest you do.

Hi Yorkie

Sadly they have not received my claim - or so they are saying. I submitted it online and received an automated reply confirming receipt. Heard nothing for 4 weeks. Phoned up today. No record of claim. I insisted they gave me a reference number for the call and I said I was not happy. They asked me to resubmit and select "other" on the claim form to explain why I am claiming outside of 28 days. I resubmitted online and received another automated reply confirming receipt. I phoned up again to check they had had it now. The reply was still no and they have asked me to call back tomorrow to "give the computer system time to update." :( :( :( once they acknowledge they have received my claim I shall be able to request a cheque/BACS payment.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Hi Yorkie

Sadly they have not received my claim - or so they are saying. I submitted it online and received an automated reply confirming receipt. Heard nothing for 4 weeks. Phoned up today. No record of claim. I insisted they gave me a reference number for the call and I said I was not happy. They asked me to resubmit and select "other" on the claim form to explain why I am claiming outside of 28 days. I resubmitted online and received another automated reply confirming receipt. I phoned up again to check they had had it now. The reply was still no and they have asked me to call back tomorrow to "give the computer system time to update." :( :( :( once they acknowledge they have received my claim I shall be able to request a cheque/BACS payment.

Did this ever get anywhere?

gray1404

Established Member
Did this ever get anywhere?

On 16 April I finally received a letter from them enclosing a Rail Travel Voucher for the full amount of my single ticket. I totally ignored my request for a "cash" payment (be that by cheque/BACS/back onto my Visa card.) There was also no compensation for the delay in processing my claim. Not good at all that Southern have totally ignored my request.

I also received a letter from Southern yesterday relating to a claim for a journey on 18 March. They refused to pay out on the claim on the basis that my departure time is not valid. The journey was from Liverpool to Hove. On the claim form I stated the leg of my journey from Clapham Junction to Hove at 14.53 was cancelled and I was delayed a total of 31 minutes and enclosed my ticket. The person who processed the claim has incorrectly read this that I left Liverpool at 14.53 and there is not departure at that time.

I phoned Southern and actually spoke to someone very helpful. However, it took him 10 minutes to find my case. Even when I provided the case reference number he had to look through every single contact/claim I have had with them to find the right journey. He saw that I had provided the correct information and they had processed it incorrectly. He put me on hold again while he spoke to "the delay repay team" when he came back he said that he had not been able to get through to them but had spoken to his Manager and she has suggested that due to the massive backlog of delay repay claims at the moment, it would be quicker if they sent me out a Rail Travel Voucher for £4 (so rounded up the amount payable to me to the nearest pound). I said I would accept this. I said this because getting anything off Southern is like getting blood out of a stone and it appear to totally ignore requests for compensation in anything other then RTVs anyway.

As it happens I will be taking the train to Hove next week so hopefully the second voucher above arrives by then and I can also "cash in" at the Southern ticket office the first voucher they sent. Oh course I would have preferred a cheque or whatever but is it really worth fighting this any further.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
UPDATE

So I receive the RTV in the post this morning. Its for a lesser amount then I'm entitled. It was for £2. My ticket was £7.90 on a single ticket and I was delayed 31 minutes. I phoned Southern back and was told they'd send me a further £6 in vouchers. However, he made a point of saying that these ones will not be able to be redeemed for cash at a Southern station. First I've heard of this.

bubieyehyeh

I seem to remember that Southern's goodwill (sic) RTV can' t be exchanged for cash. So I assume that is what he is sending for the £6.

gray1404

Established Member
I seem to remember that Southern's goodwill (sic) RTV can' t be exchanged for cash. So I assume that is what he is sending for the £6.

I give up with Southern. They misprocess the claim and reject it, they ignore my request for cheque /cash, then send me the wrong compensation amount, now I'm going expecting RTVs that can't be cashed. Getting anything out of them is a bonus.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I might also add, the voucher I received today which was as a direct result of my phone call on 22/04/16. Both the voucher and the covering letter which made reference to my phone call were both dated as having being used on 20/04/16. This made matters very confusing when I had to phone up again today to tell them that the amount issued on "20/04/16" when it was in fact on 22/04/16 was incorrect. Really does make you realise that Southern make it up as they go along!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So £8 with £2 cash + £6 RTV (non-cashable) or £4 in cash as per official entitlement?

Seems like a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.