• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'New tube for London' - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Why does no new stock have larger windows? I know that a lot of the tube is underground but the large windows on the 92 stock look so much better in my opinion...

Curved glass is more expensive

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trafalgar55

Agreed that a taller curved window would be more expensive, and these usually get replaced with something cheaper (vis. Class 309 Clacton Express windscreens).

One train of 1938 stock, was I believe, experimentally given taller windows.

Having said that there is no reason why the existing window in the mock-up should have another flat window above, angled to mimic the profile of the car.

If these are meant to replace the 1973 Piccadilly line stock and the remaining 1972 stock, then significant portions of the line are in 'open air'. So for standing passengers there is some relief from staring at the same advert for the whole journey - unless there may be a loss of revenue from the adverts . . .

Mikey C

Established Member
Agreed that a taller curved window would be more expensive, and these usually get replaced with something cheaper (vis. Class 309 Clacton Express windscreens).

One train of 1938 stock, was I believe, experimentally given taller windows.

Having said that there is no reason why the existing window in the mock-up should have another flat window above, angled to mimic the profile of the car.

If these are meant to replace the 1973 Piccadilly line stock and the remaining 1972 stock, then significant portions of the line are in 'open air'. So for standing passengers there is some relief from staring at the same advert for the whole journey - unless there may be a loss of revenue from the adverts . . .

But then I've found the Central line 92 stock becomes a greenhouse in the open sections!

starrymarkb

Established Member
(Why are TPE using commuter-standard trains on long haul journeys Manchester Airpot to Edinburgh anyway?)

They are to LM spec - I believe they may be transferred elsewhere when North TPE is wired and gets a proper stock order.

Status
Not open for further replies.