• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Wolverhampton Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkkent

Hi folks

Given that I live 2 minutes walk from there I thought I'd have a look at the brand new station in Wolverhampton as it officially opened today.

First impressions are that it is heck of a lot nicer than the old one! Very light and airy and plenty of room for shops etc. It does look like there will be more of an emphasis on self-service as I could only see one ticket window but there are a number of self-serve machines that are ready to use.

One question I have though is that the new station building appears to have been built over the entrance to the subway tunnel that links the station with the hotel, pub and apartments built on the site of the Low Level Station, something that I found very useful. Does anyone know if the subway access will be re-opened somewhere within the new station or have they completely closed it? Would be a shame and an inconvenience if they did.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
It does look much better from what the Express and Star images look like although that isn't hard.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Hi folks

Given that I live 2 minutes walk from there I thought I'd have a look at the brand new station in Wolverhampton as it officially opened today.

First impressions are that it is heck of a lot nicer than the old one! Very light and airy and plenty of room for shops etc. It does look like there will be more of an emphasis on self-service as I could only see one ticket window but there are a number of self-serve machines that are ready to use.

One question I have though is that the new station building appears to have been built over the entrance to the subway tunnel that links the station with the hotel, pub and apartments built on the site of the Low Level Station, something that I found very useful. Does anyone know if the subway access will be re-opened somewhere within the new station or have they completely closed it? Would be a shame and an inconvenience if they did.

Not sure if the subway is reopening or not, but as a regular user of said subway... it’s now much quicker, and less unsalubrious, to get to the Great Western by turning left out of the (old) station, past the taxis and down Cornhill. Makes it that little bit quicker to get that first Bathams.

clarkkent

Not sure if the subway is reopening or not, but as a regular user of said subway... it’s now much quicker, and less unsalubrious, to get to the Great Western by turning left out of the (old) station, past the taxis and down Cornhill. Makes it that little bit quicker to get that first Bathams.

Haha agree with you there! As it's most definitively my local I should go in there more often than I do, it's a proper proper pub...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Haha agree with you there! As it's most definitively my local I should go in there more often than I do, it's a proper proper pub...

It’s the best pub in the world, serves the best beer in the world, and is a short walk to the best* football club in the world. What’s not to like!

Anyone who needs to change trains at Wolverhampton is strongly advised to put an hour in their connection and pop to the Western for a couple of Bathams.

*some of us have always thought that, with very very rose tinted spectacles. However the last 3 years have been remarkable!

Mikey C

Established Member
That station is black and gold(ish)!

Deliberate link to the football club?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Or Holdens Black Country Mild, or Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby (if they have it on)

Accompanied by unreconstructed cheese and onion baps. Sundays you get free Black Country tapas - sliced pork pie and black pudding. Heroically good place. Been going there for nearly 40 years on and off.

davetheguard

Established Member
It’s the best pub in the world, serves the best beer in the world, and is a short walk to the best* football club in the world. What’s not to like!

Anyone who needs to change trains at Wolverhampton is strongly advised to put an hour in their connection and pop to the Western for a couple of Bathams.

*some of us have always thought that, with very very rose tinted spectacles. However the last 3 years have been remarkable!

It's a pub I've only ever been in twice; most recently in late 2019, and I agree it is great. In fact you're selling it so well, my tongue's hanging out! Can we start another thread with pictures of the inside of the Great Western pub? I'd start it off myself if I had any......

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Accompanied by unreconstructed cheese and onion baps. Sundays you get free Black Country tapas - sliced pork pie and black pudding. Heroically good place. Been going there for nearly 40 years on and off.
It’s more like a slab of cheese with bap (cob) accompaniment.

Sounds like a suitable location for a future Forum Meet - once the current restrictions have ended.

Great idea, but avoid matchdays (it’s crush loaded), and the day after - some beers will be off. To put it into context, the last time I was there for an evening game, I walked in at 1830, and they were approaching the end of their 4th (and last) barrel of Bathams that day.

Revaulx

The last time I went into a pub in Wolverhampton, Banks's was still decent.

The Batham's tap, the Bull and Bladder, is great also and has a similar menu, though I think it might manage to run to faggots also. Full of Baggies fans when I visited though, and miles from a station. Brettell Lane (closed 1962) was probably the nearest.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The last time I went into a pub in Wolverhampton, Banks's was still decent.

The Batham's tap, the Bull and Bladder, is great also and has a similar menu, though I think it might manage to run to faggots also. Full of Baggies fans when I visited though, and miles from a station. Brettell Lane (closed 1962) was probably the nearest.

Banks’s still is decent, as it’s still brewed in the same place, with the same water, it always has been.

The Vine ( Bull and Bladder) is only just over a mile from Cradley Heath station. Can’t help about the Alb**n fans though. Rather Unfortunate.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Is the New Wolverhampton Station, built in a new location, or a rebuild of the existing station. (Do the Trams go there now, it is a long time since I visited Wolves, then the tram suddenly ended by a shopping centre and you had to walk from there to the Railway and Bus Stations which were adjacent?)

Revaulx

Banks’s still is decent, as it’s still brewed in the same place, with the same water, it always has been.

The Vine ( Bull and Bladder) is only just over a mile from Cradley Heath station. Can’t help about the Alb**n fans though. Rather Unfortunate.
Bah! So's Sam Smiths, and it's a pale shadow of a formerly great beer. Brewed to a price, presumably.

I was a big fan of West Midlands beers back in the day. M&B Brew XI, much despised by many, was a parrticular favourite. Banks' bitter was pretty decent, but the mild was excellent. I don't think either is up to much these days, if you can even find the mild, but it may be the fault of the "Marstons" (i.e. Banks) estate just not looking after the beer. Marstons is awful these days as well.

Back on topic, the new station looks good. Has anything been done to make the platforms less windswept though? Since New Street became such a nightmare as an interchange (though much improved in other respects) I'd taken to changing at Wolverhampton where possible. Much simpler and less stressful, but chilly at times.

D6975

Established Member
Is the New Wolverhampton Station, built in a new location, or a rebuild of the existing station. (Do the Trams go there now, it is a long time since I visited Wolves, then the tram suddenly ended by a shopping centre and you had to walk from there to the Railway and Bus Stations which were adjacent?)
re the trams: It's a short branch off the existing metro line going right up to the mainline station.

pdeaves

Established Member
The 'new station' is a new building partially next to the old one, partly on the site of the old one. The platforms are unchanged.

The tram does not go to the station yet but will do when construction is complete.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The 'new station' is a new building partially next to the old one, partly on the site of the old one. The platforms are unchanged.

The tram does not go to the station yet but will do when construction is complete.

So - wold the service from Brum serve the station first , then run to the existing terminus - or vice versa ?

I rode (griced) the route about this time last year , and I have to say was quite impressed with it.

fgwrich

Established Member
Can we start another thread with pictures of the inside of the Great Western pub? I'd start it off myself if I had any......

I would add a few too, the only problem is is that I usually end up in there after a good long Black Country Crawl! However what I will say is, after a good sesh at The Great Western, you can't beat a short walk into town for a Jivans! One of the best, and mot authentic curry houses around.

Ah, the Bull and Bladder. Another excellent West Midlands pub - and good proper cob selection too.

Bah! So's Sam Smiths, and it's a pale shadow of a formerly great beer. Brewed to a price, presumably.

I was a big fan of West Midlands beers back in the day. M&B Brew XI, much despised by many, was a parrticular favourite. Banks' bitter was pretty decent, but the mild was excellent. I don't think either is up to much these days, if you can even find the mild, but it may be the fault of the "Marstons" (i.e. Banks) estate just not looking after the beer. Marstons is awful these days as well.

Back on topic, the new station looks good. Has anything been done to make the platforms less windswept though? Since New Street became such a nightmare as an interchange (though much improved in other respects) I'd taken to changing at Wolverhampton where possible. Much simpler and less stressful, but chilly at times.

My only concern is this Marston / Carlsberg tie-up. I can only hope that, if Carlsberg uses any sense, it will do what Molson Coors did after the Sharps Brewery take over and just leave it the Marston's business alone (Although while the casks stuff is still brewed at Rock in Cornwall, all the bottle stuff is new brewed in Burton!)

So - wold the service from Brum serve the station first , then run to the existing terminus - or vice versa ?

I rode (griced) the route about this time last year , and I have to say was quite impressed with it.

So I was quite surprised as the plans for the Metro too. I thought that the original plan had it operating in a loop around the city centre, however what will actually be built is two branches. The existing tram stop at Wolverhampton St Georges will remain, but the new extension will rely on a junction just after the bridge. It will then take the tram line along Pipers Row (and past the bus station) before turning right at the cross roads, along Railway Drive before terminating down by the station / taxi rank area. And the good news for us, it's only a short walk along the very Peaky Blinders feeling Corn Hill to The Great Western!

All this talk of Bathams / Banks, The Great Western & The Bull and Bladder... Shall we start a new thread? :lol:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Sam Smiths - in my view always horrible. Tadcaster water.
Brew XI, I haven’t seen in years. Used to drink it a lot.
Banks’s Mild - apparently the most produced Mild in the world. I’ve seen it quite a bit up there.

Wolverhampton platforms - no idea! But with a much bigger station building, there will be somewhere better to wait.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

Interchange in the Up direction is, I think, not so easy. NRES tells me, if travelling on an Avanti Scottish service to New St., to change on to the overtaking XC service; this involves using the footbridge to cross. Although there are 2 footbridges, only one extended to the platform that the Avanti uses, and it is at the North end of the platform and also, being designed apparently for style rather than utility, has flights of steps that follow a circuitous path. When travelling on a slightly delayed Avanti I've been wary about risking being left behind by the XC by the time I'd reached its platform, and then similarly left by the Avanti on my return.

This is on the assumption that the other footbridge hasn't been extended - has it?

Having a footbridge of grand sweeping appearance that greatly increases the distance one has to walk/climb is not unique to Wolverhampton; it was pioneered at Coventry many years ago, making the (not unusual) connection between North bound XC and Up LNW service that little bit more uncertain.

The Chimaera

Nothing has been done or even planned for the platforms other than the plat 1 retail development, sorry passenger interface upgrade. Part 2 of the redevelopment will see most of the remaining station buildings demolished to make way for some more retail opportunities. I believe the subway to Low Level will be reopened shortly. As it never rains or is windy in Wolverhampton no more platform canopies are required either.

Sheddyone

re the trams: It's a short branch off the existing metro line going right up to the mainline station.

The new track forks just before the current terminus and passes the bus station before turning and terminating outside the railway station. Once complete, services from Birmingham will alternate between the two. There will eventually be more services than present with the new line to Dudley and Merry Hill opening in a couple of years or so.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Having a footbridge of grand sweeping appearance that greatly increases the distance one has to walk/climb is not unique to Wolverhampton; it was pioneered at Coventry many years ago, making the (not unusual) connection between North bound XC and Up LNW service that little bit more uncertain.

It's what happened at Newport too!

So the new concourse is alongside P6 and points you at the new footbridge rather than the old?
That will help with distribution.

One annoying thing about Wolverhampton platforms are the numerous posts which hold the canopies up.
They get in the way of passenger movement all the time and you can't see the PIS screens because of them.
Oh and the tin horse...

martinsh

Established Member
The new track forks just before the current terminus and passes the bus station before turning and terminating outside the railway station. Once complete, services from Birmingham will alternate between the two. There will eventually be more services than present with the new line to Dudley and Merry Hill opening in a couple of decades or so.
Fixed that for you

Status
Not open for further replies.