• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle Metro a staff-less shambles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmt4ever

Arrived yesterday in Newcastle for a weekend. We flew from Heathrow and arrived late afternoon, proceeded to get the Metro to where our hotel is.

No staff whatsoever at the airport Metro station! Long queue for the ticket machines as tourists not familiar not sure what to buy and nobody to ask. Wanted to get some cash, the ATM in the booking hall area charged £2 for cash, sod that!

Then the ticket machine repeatidly refused my Amex card so my friend used his to buy my ticket for me.

No platform staff either to ask for assistance.

What a poor state of affairs - disgraceful for any visitors to the city to be greeted this way!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jkkne

I'm genuinely surprised you struggled.

There's an abundance of free cash machines in the airport itself.

A little bit of pre trip research or a look at the list of accepted cards on the ticket machine contactless reader would tell you they don't take Amex.

I'm surprised anyone struggles with Metro ticket machine (available in a few languages). It's so straightforward. Return, day ticket or single. Pick the name of e station and voila.

There's help point buttons at each station which go straight through to the help centre too.

Preparation next time

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You'll get the same in Germany - hardly any (if any at all) staff in the flea-pit that is Schoenefeld station in Berlin, for example.

The Metro is essentially a German-style U-Bahn, including DOO and low staffing, FWIW.

As for AmEx, I don't see why anyone uses it, it's expensive and barely taken anywhere. When my company issued them (previous employer), I refused to use it.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Yeah your issue is relying on American Express, its barely accepted anywhere in this country anymore, only really by tourist focused businesses and businesses which only do transactions online. Its because the company charges an exorbitant rate to the retailer and are pretty lazy remunerating them. There is also the issue US cards have next to no security are easy to conduct fraud with.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The metro fare system is zonal and really easy to understand, with maps on every machine what was the problem?

didcotdean

With the likes of Wilko and Poundland taking American Express it is hardly a rare high-end choice for a card these days.

There have reports of some other operators having trouble with Amex acceptance recently, in particular for machines from Scheidt & Bachmann. They needed a software update. Don't know whether the Tyne and Wear metro takes it in general though.

Last edited:
Yeah your issue is relying on American Express, its barely accepted anywhere in this country anymore, only really by tourist focused businesses and businesses which only do transactions online. Its because the company charges an exorbitant rate to the retailer and are pretty lazy remunerating them. There is also the issue US cards have next to no security are easy to conduct fraud with.

Sorry I have to disagree Amex is widely accepted in the UK and it is only on the odd occasion have I come across a retailer who does not accept the card. An English pensioner.:D:roll:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I don't recall many UK ATMs ever taking AMEX cards other than at airports etc. For the UK it's not likely to be a very useful card.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sorry I have to disagree Amex is widely accepted in the UK and it is only on the odd occasion have I come across a retailer who does not accept the card. An English pensioner.:D:roll:

When I use my telephone automated system to pay business rates/phone bill/electricity etc etc etc they almost invariably say 'we take all major debit and credit cards excepting American Express and Diner's Club'. I am a retailer of thirty years standing and did for a short period take American Express, but only ever did about four transactions so when Amex introduced a monthly admin charge I bailed out. It is always advisable to have a fallback to Amex, as I thought everyone knew.

radamfi

Established Member
American Express can give better rewards than Visa/Mastercard credit cards. For example, I have a combined Amex/Visa Barclaycard account (no longer available to new customers) that gives 1% cashback on Amex and 0.5% on Visa. So there is an incentive to use the Amex card rather than the Visa card wherever it is accepted.

Of course, Amex offer better cashback because it costs more for retailers, so you could argue it make sense for retailers to stop accepting it, and obviously customers pay for it ultimately. But the trend is for growing Amex acceptance.

Metrolink don't accept Amex either. Not at the TVMs, nor on the Get Me There app.

Last edited:

Zamracene749

I'm gonna have to agree with the OP here. I'm local, the zones aren't an issue- but the machines are...... card refused at 1st one (Visa debit) so tried the next one- card refused there too. Other machines out of service. Back into airport to get cash, 1st machine refuses to take notes, second machine refuses to take notes too......back into airport to buy something; anything to get some coins, back to machine, 1st one shuts down...... 2nd one finally issues a ticket but not the explorer i want, so i end up stumping up for a single to Toon.....so, including waiting for the queues of unfamiliar tourists to suffer the same crap, it's 40 minutes after first setting foot in the metro ticket area. Needless to say, as the ticket was issued, a metro left, leaving another 15 minutes to wait. Apologies to anyone offended, but at that point I did curse and kick the machine, Basil Fawlty style....

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Every ticket machine has every station listed on the map, saying exactly what combination of zones you need to travel there. The ticket machines themselves operate in a number of languages, including Mandarin, and clearly show the different ticket options. There is a clearly signed help point if you're not able to put these tantalising bits of information together.

I'm really not sure what you're whining about to be honest. The only issue with the ticket machines is that they can be temperamental with some types of debit card. But that's what the Help Point- right next to the machine- is for.

I'll criticize Metro as much as anyone, but if you can't figure out how to use those machines you're probably not ready for this level of public transport.

rmt4ever

What a load of tosh. All mainline train companies, London Underground, DLR, etc etc...

Sorry but a major airport train station that Newcastle Airport is should have some members of staff.

What if someone isn't sure what ticket they need, need to enquire about discounts etc, could be something so simple as discounts for children with adults, or OAP discounts ... what photo cards do I need... can I use a contactless service etc...

Of course how dare anyone criticise the railways on this forum, they are all perfect!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

rmt4ever

Oh and also, Forbid if anyone needs a Metro system map. There are none anywhere ! And of course, no staff to ask for some from...

But of course you will tell me I should google it and get it on my device..

Sorry, I want a printed system map by the transport company, provided to me to put in my pocket to enable me to navigate the system during my stay....

Not a lot to ask !!

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Sorry but a major airport train station that Newcastle Airport is should have some members of staff.

The trouble is that Newcastle Airport is not a major airport. Indeed when the Metro was first built it didn't even reach the airport as there was insufficient traffic to justify it. In due course circumstances changed and the extension to the system was added but by then the ethos of the Metro being minimally staffed was well and truly established. And that seems to be a concept much favoured by the political decision makers everywhere, as evidenced by discussions on this very forum about topics such as LU booking office closures and the DfT drive for more DOO. Go to the significantly busier regional airport at Manchester and you will find it's not exactly over-run with staff at the railway station. Welcome to the UK!

shredder1

Established Member
I quite like the Tyne and Wear Metro and as a visitor have found the ticketing system quite easy to use, such a shame Nexus have a strange policy towards enthusiasts taking photographs, such backward thinking.

ChathillMan

As a local with a good understanding of transport the only problem i think is the path to the Day Rover and Explorer tickets could be clearer on the machines.

rebmcr

Established Member
Regardless of how widespread AmEx acceptance is, it remains unaccepted in various locations. Not having a backup card is very short-sighted.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What if someone isn't sure what ticket they need, need to enquire about discounts etc, could be something so simple as discounts for children with adults, or OAP discounts

Call the Help Point, it goes straight to Metro control and they are always very helpful.

The ticketing system is very simple on Metro: a single or a day ticket, for an adult or a child. The machine lists every station and what zones you need. As I said, if you can't get your head around that you're probably not ready to be out alone on the Metro.

Newcastle isn't a major airport, either.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As a local with a good understanding of transport the only problem i think is the path to the Day Rover and Explorer tickets could be clearer on the machines.

I'd agree with that, some of the Network One options are a little obscure, but it isn't that long ago when you couldn't buy an Explorer on Metro at all. Day Rover and Transfare are explained on posters but not on the machine itself.

But for the standard tickets I don't see how it could be any clearer.

rmt4ever

Well well well just when I thought it couldn't be worse..

We had established yesterday that we would have to take replacement bus to the airport today due to engineering works.

So we joined the platform to head to S Gorsford for the RRBS to the airport. And on the departure screen it was showing first train to the coast, and 2nd to Airport.. wait, we thought, we were sure there is RRBS to the airport! So I pressed he help point info button on he platform. We wanted to clarify if the screen was correct and we could indeed get the direct Airport train, or if we had understood correctly and there was a RRBS.

The in platform help point rang and made a connecting noise, which lasted ages. Then it seemed to connect to a automated service, telling me next train to the coast 2 minutes, airport 8 minutes!!!!! Hopeless,,,,, I could see this on the bloody platform departure screen..

So I cancelled the call and tried again and this time it just went straight through to that automated announcement thing with the next couple departures. I went upstairs to try and find some staff to ask, of course nobody at all in sight!!!

So as it turned out we did have to get a RRBS, so why the hell it was showing Airport trains is anyone's guess!

Anyway so getting out at S Gorsford, good luck trying to find the RRBS stop. Loads of exits and pathways from the station platforms but not a single sign directing to the RRBS or station staff to ask. Eventually after wandering around for a while found a bus stop with a member of staff who confirmed it was the right stop!

The bus that came went really around the houses. No dedicated direct airport service, only all stops buses. The bus stop guy said it would take 20 mins. It actually took 35 so almost double that !!

This city doesn't deserve to have any tourists... absolutely diabolical

Last edited by a moderator:

bramling

Veteran Member
I quite like the Tyne and Wear Metro and as a visitor have found the ticketing system quite easy to use, such a shame Nexus have a strange policy towards enthusiasts taking photographs, such backward thinking.

The photography policy is indeed strange, bordering on paranoid, however in reality it's not much of an issue as there are so few staff around. The drivers don't seem to care as long as the camera isn't shoved right in their face, which is fair enough.

Some of the stations have a pretty nasty atmosphere in terms of security, for example the ones beyond Sunderland, Brockley Whins, etc. Not sure if this is more perception rather than reality though.

Meanwhile, Metro's reliability seems pretty bad. Maybe I was unlucky, but during my two-week holiday in Newcastle last year the service seemed to be up the wall almost every day either due to train failures or signal problems.

Last edited:

Kryten2340

We had established yesterday that we would have to take replacement bus to the airport today due to engineering works.

So we joined the platform to head to S Gorsford for the RRBS to the airport. And on the departure screen it was showing first train to the coast, and 2nd to Airport.. wait, we thought, we were sure there is RRBS to the airport! So I pressed he help point info button on he platform. We wanted to clarify if the screen was correct and we could indeed get the direct Airport train, or if we had understood correctly and there was a RRBS.

The in platform help point rang and made a connecting noise, which lasted ages. Then it seemed to connect to a automated service, telling me next train to the coast 2 minutes, airport 8 minutes!!!!! Hopeless,,,,, I could see this on the bloody platform departure screen..

So I cancelled the call and tried again and this time it just went straight through to that automated announcement thing with the next couple departures. I went upstairs to try and find some staff to ask, of course nobody at all in sight!!!

So as it turned out we did have to get a RRBS, so why the hell it was showing Airport trains is anyone's guess!

Anyway so getting out at S Gorsford, good luck trying to find the RRBS stop. Loads of exits and pathways from the station platforms but not a single sign directing to the RRBS or station staff to ask. Eventually after wandering around for a while found a bus stop with a member of staff who confirmed it was the right stop!

The bus that came went really around the houses. No dedicated direct airport service, only all stops buses. The bus stop guy said it would take 20 mins. It actually took 35 so almost double that !!

Whilst I agree with the anomaly about trains terminating at South Gosforth but displaying Airport its a bit over-dramatic slagging off a city as a result.

A bit of planning by visiting http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/updates?open=t_planned-works you would have found the replacement bus stop location and this notice will have been displayed on the station.

Why should there be a direct bus service to the airport when there is no direct non-stop train service to the airport? What do the other passengers who wish to get to stations in between do?

Perhaps next time you ought to visit a city where you can have your hand held throughout your journey.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Although I have some sympathy for the problems encountered, I can only guess that the OP hasn't travelled much abroad. The Newcastle Metro system, tickets, and lack of staff is not so very different from many other parts of Europe. Most travellers know this and formulate at least their basic plans before they go.

Using an AMEX card in the UK was always going to end in tears !

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Whilst I agree with the anomaly about trains terminating at South Gosforth but displaying Airport its a bit over-dramatic slagging off a city as a result.

This is something where UK practice has changed significantly relatively recently, based on the increased use of fully automatic PIS, which will tend to display what a train is actually doing, rather than the old order where it'd be put up manually.

Certainly I recall that the old Solari PIS on Merseyrail would show the normal destination even if some of the journey would be bustituted. The logic behind it is that there has been no change to what the passenger needs to do at that point; a different action is only required later on.

I guess the Metro still uses the older practice.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Put it down to experience- we all have trips like that where everything seems to be ganging up against you. You'll have forgotten all about it within weeks.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The trains are announced as Airport so that people catch them to South Gosforth, where the connecting bus was. Drivers announced the closure, the PIS announced the closure, yet more hyperbolic whining about nothing.

The trains didn't terminate at South Gosforth, they continued to Monkseaton. However the PIS is very antiquated and can't cope with the train being announced as Airport in the city centre and Monkseaton at South Gosforth. The PIS only updates when the train destination is changed, and that was at Ilford Road. When the train arrives it has the correct final destination.

Confusing, yes. But it's done so people don't stand waiting for an Airport train in the city centre, they catch the correct train and change as appropriate.

There were also plenty of platform staff when I went through South Gosforth...

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member

Trains are coded towards Airport still hence why destination displays show that. It's to avoid confusion to passengers who may otherwise just stand there waiting and waiting.

The Help Point gives out the times because that is usually what people use it for. If you wait till the times have passed it will connect you with Metro control. If there is an emergency you press the emergency buttons.

There are clear maps in the stations which show where the replacement buses stop. You could have also asked a fellow passenger if they could help you. We're mostly friendly here.

There is no direct Airport bus because there is simply not enough need for one it would be carrying air almost all day. Replacement buses stop at the 7 stops (Regent Centre, Wansbeck Road, Fawdon, Kingston Park, Bank Foot, Callerton Parkway, and Airport) between Gosforth and Airport. 30 minutes isn't really bad, it's 15-20 minutes more than the train but I wouldn't say that's too bad. It's a highly residential area and the Metro divides it all so it takes longer as there are only certain places it can cross the lines. As Arctic Troll also says there was plenty of staff. When I went through at 8am there was 2 members of staff, then at 3pm there were 4 members of staff.

Saying the city doesn't deserve tourists because you couldn't figure out how to use a very, very simple ticket machine and dislike the fact there was no staff, something that only London really has (Metro do usually have static staff at Airport hence why it has a gateline) is absolutely crazy. Did you actually visit Newcastle itself? Since you haven't posted any negative comments about that I'm guessing it's just the transport you hate? In which case, please feel free to tell the Government to funnel some money to us so we can get new trains please :)

Long ticket queues will happen because you're dumping 50+ people from a plane and the majority I would probably say will take a Metro or Taxi. Metro aren't going to just have 20 ticket machines idling away for most of the day, so it's easier to have the 3(4?) machines they do and just have people queue than have more machines and be wasting money on them.

Newcastle Airport is not a major Airport, and after the main morning rush tends to be very quiet.

Metro maps are on every platform, every train, every ticket machine. In fact, if you need to view a map they are very very easy to come by. Printing paper maps is a waste of money, and only really useful in major cities with a more confusing system. We have two lines. It's not rocket science. As you say, you could easily download a copy of the map so you're not wasting paper. Metro have even launched there own little app now.

I have an AmEx card myself, but I always have another card on me just in case my AmEx isn't accepted.

This whole thread seems to be you were expecting a London (Underground) style service level and when you didn't you flapped and had to blame the system.

I'd love to see how you would react if you ever went to New York, or any other major city beyond London. Most mass transit systems have very little staff around, and London very much is an exception to that, especially in Europe and the US. In fact, I'd love to know if there are any other subway systems with such high levels of public facing staff as LU. The DLR is very similar in style to the Metro too with minimal staff, they have the PSA in the actual cars because they're auto but if they were in a cab you would barely see any staff on the DLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.