• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcourt Station opening next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rapidash

Interesting decision...

When they were redecorating Exeter Central recently, it went with FGW colours - even though at the same time, Paignton was being done in GW colours!:lol:

It's been a wee bit mental on the Avocet this week. Service I used on Wednesday was formed of x2 153, was made full and standing at St David's, crush loaded by Central, and was unable to let people board from St James Park onwards. The joys of halfterm, eh?! Only 4 more months and things will be back to 'normal'.....

It was, uh, a bit cosy.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Newcourt opened this morning

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....ourt-Station/story-26635101-detail/story.html

Exeter’s brand new station has officially opened.

Bunting was put up and crowds gathered early this morning to celebrate the first train to stop at Newcourt Station on the Exeter to Exmouth line.

Cllr Andrew Leadbetter was one of the first at the station and posed for photos during the quick stop off at 5:57am this morning.

The new single platform station is situated on the Avocet Line between Digby and Topsham and is the first new rail station to open in Devon for 20 years.

tsr

Established Member
Looks like it was a 150, if the train shown in the news video was indeed the first. You might just be able to see the unit number on the video - I couldn't.

An "interesting" dispatch procedure shown there during the opening photoshoot ;) "This train has been briefly delayed by an operating irregularity caused by an opening ceremony at Newcourt." :p

It does look like the weather was very fine and I am glad to see there was an effort to herald the new station. Long may it serve the fine people of Devon!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Looks like it was a 150, if the train shown in the news video was indeed the first. You might just be able to see the unit number on the video - I couldn't.

An "interesting" dispatch procedure shown there during the opening photoshoot ;) "This train has been briefly delayed by an operating irregularity caused by an opening ceremony at Newcourt." :p

It does look like the weather was very fine and I am glad to see there was an effort to herald the new station. Long may it serve the fine people of Devon!

A 150/1 by the appearance of 2+3 seating.

superalbs

Established Member
Decided to go there after school, looks quite nice. A very good sunny day for the opening!

455driver

Veteran Member
Unit 150121 was the first to stop.

What service was that?

Somebody realised that the first service to pass through there on the 04th would actually be the 00:02 Exmouth to Exeter so a SSO was quickly sent out for that one to call there :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
What service was that?

Somebody realised that the first service to pass through there on the 04th would actually be the 00:02 Exmouth to Exeter so a SSO was quickly sent out for that one to call there :lol:

It was on journey update last night the 00:02 will no longer call

Thu, 4 June 00:02 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids due 00:35
This train will no longer call at Newcourt.
This is due to a problem currently under investigation.
Last Updated :03/06/2015 12:24

superalbs

Established Member
Smashing! Thanks Louis.

A box at Newcourt station says 03m and 20ch.
Kts3sat.png

louis97

Established Member
A box at Newcourt station says 03m and 20ch.
Kts3sat.png

Not sure on the accuracy of that, as if you look in the this document on Page 25, it has a picture showing the 3 mile 20 chains (3 1/4 miles) mile post and this is after the repeater signal towards Exmouth - this repeater is at the end of the platform. This is of course assuming the repeater signal has not been moved, it is unlikely it has been.

Note this document is back from when the station was going to be at 2 miles 77 chains.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I got the mileage information from here: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse...rt station/a ncg12014west574 notification.pdf

However I have since found a different (by 1 chain) figure here:
http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/stations/stationn.shtm

The latter was last updated on 2nd June 2015, so I went with that.

Parallel

Established Member
Anyone know what the passenger usage has been like for Newcourt so far? I did a return trip to Exmouth earlier this afternoon/evening. Towards Exmouth, 3 people got off, nobody on (unit formed of a 150/1) and the return, nobody got on or off (formed of 2 x 143 pacer).

bluenoxid

Established Member
Just reading the BBC News website. A spokesman for Devon County Council has not done the research.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-33007069

The council added: "This has been a very challenging delivery schedule. However, the station has still been delivered in an extremely quick timescale from conception to opening and Newcourt is the first of the four New Stations Fund projects to be delivered."

Pye Corner opened six months ago!

Rapidash

Anyone know what the passenger usage has been like for Newcourt so far? I did a return trip to Exmouth earlier this afternoon/evening. Towards Exmouth, 3 people got off, nobody on (unit formed of a 150/1) and the return, nobody got on or off (formed of 2 x 143 pacer).

Bakers dozen got on when I was off to Exmouth earlier today, three off.

It'll take a bit of time for people around there to get used to the notion of it being there and usable. I don't think it'll ever be a high use station, but I can see it getting similar to Lympstone Village within a few years, especially with all the development nearby.

Lets face it, it's beaten Teesside Airport already ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bakers dozen got on when I was off to Exmouth earlier today, three off.

It'll take a bit of time for people around there to get used to the notion of it being there and usable. I don't think it'll ever be a high use station, but I can see it getting similar to Lympstone Village within a few years, especially with all the development nearby.

Lets face it, it's beaten Teesside Airport already ;)

It probably did that after the first train!

CC 72100

Established Member
Quick question - distance from Exmouth to Newcourt?

I'm not 100% sure what the 3 miles 6 chains figure refers too. Distance from Exmouth junction?

CC 72100

Established Member
Ah ok, that's clearer, thanks.

So I'm calling it 6 miles 26 chains Exmouth - Newcourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.