• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newhaven Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was on a railtour there on a Hastings unit back in autumn 2010; however nothing to the best of my memory has been down there since. We were prohibited from alighting that day too owing to the roof - I can't imagine why that would have changed.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Isn't Newhaven Marine owned by the Home Office as part of thier (so called) Border Control.

Crawley Ben

Looks like this Saturday (7 July) Newhaven Marine will see a passenger-carrying train (although presumably the 'dangerous' roof means passengers still can't alight there?)
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U63082/2014/06/07/advanced
http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-da...way-150-years-celebration-special-steam-train

Is this the first time since 2006 there's been anything but ECS at the station?

See the link to the thread below that I started. It's a Railway Touring Company trip from London Victoria - Seaford/Brighton/Eastbourne/Hastings, locos are Oliver Cromwell & a class 33 diesel.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=98306

Ben

sarahj

Established Member
The dangerous bit of the roof has been removed. Its just the basic frame thats left. When we did 313 training when they first came out we did some practise down there with ramps and door tests. I was there the other day on a ghost train, but as we were running late, it was a very quick turn around. (someone had driven through the LC barriers at the town). So, yes its possible to get out and have a wander, but there is still no access to/from the station.

flymo

Established Member
Just by chance I was driving down through Newhaven today and thought I'd go have a look at Marine Station but long story short.... couldn't find it. Town and Harbour stations no worries but Marine seems to be in a closed area. I didn't spend too long looking I will admit..

a1a.a1a

Driving? If you walked onto the Harbour platform you would have found Marine which is located the other side of Harbour box, that said when you come across the Harbour and all it's security people / fences you do get a bit of a 'get out a here' feeling... before you get told to LOL!

STANDISH

This location must be popular with rail tours. Another one expected on August 16th.

samogers

Now that the dangerous roof has been removed, will it see passenger services again?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Driving? If you walked onto the Harbour platform you would have found Marine which is located the other side of Harbour box, that said when you come across the Harbour and all it's security people / fences you do get a bit of a 'get out a here' feeling... before you get told to LOL!

They can be quite arsy is an understatement.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Now that the dangerous roof has been removed, will it see passenger services again?
Extremely unlikely. It doesn't really serve anywhere that Newhaven Harbour or Town doesn't already - especially now the ferries have moved - unless you fancy visiting a few decrepit industrial units. It does mean it's a good stop-off point for railtours due to the 12 car platforms, which can fit in most trains, plus there's a decent access point for water tankers, so perhaps there could be a small future.

Newhaven Marine - 8 Car Stop Sign by Sussex Eclectic, on Flickr

Atmospheric though. It's all NSE except for a Southern-era modern 4 car stop sign!

NSEFAN

Established Member
Doesn't Newhaven Marine sport a 13 car stop board in NSE livery? A throwback to the days of boat trains with MLVs?

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Doesn't Newhaven Marine sport a 13 car stop board in NSE livery? A throwback to the days of boat trains with MLVs?
There is, still in a pretty good condition as well. It's possibly the last one left on the network now.

4-COR 3142

Didn't ralise MLV's made it onto the central section, would the boat trains have been exclusively CEP/BEP stock (BI did have an allocation) or could the MLV's run with CIG/BIG's too?

Has anyone got any pics of a Newhaven boat train EMU?

Didn't ralise MLV's made it onto the central section, would the boat trains have been exclusively CEP/BEP stock (BI did have an allocation) or could the MLV's run with CIG/BIG's too?

Has anyone got any pics of a Newhaven boat train EMU?

I think the Newhaven Boat Trains were 12CEP + MLV in their heyday. Later became a 4 CIG attached/detached from a London train at Lewes.

Status
Not open for further replies.