• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nigel Harris to stand down as RAIL editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

inais20

Haven’t been able to read Rail since they switched to that weird cheap paper, feels horrible to hold. Good luck to Mr Harris though, he did at least invoke reactions which is what columnists do!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david1212

Established Member
As well as Nigel Harris and Barry Doe, who has retired due heath issues rather than choice given in if not his last column one of the last that if nothing else he wanted to continue his Rail column, Stefanie Foster who was deputy editor to Nigel has left too.

I did not buy the first few issues and can not recall exactly the first I bought. I guess some time in 1984.

I have privately sent a few emails to Barry Doe. He always responded promptly clarifying my query.

Now that Nigel and Barry have retired, I think they need another columnist or two to fill the opinion slot.

Let's face it, news - we can get an idea of most of what's going on through t'interweb, but expert opinion is what the web can't provide (not very well anyway).

I agree.

My subscription recently renewed for 12 months. I will make a note to consider if to cancel for next year. It is the only magazine I subscribe to and I only buy any other very occasionally. I do not have any paid website subscriptions.

Purple Train

Established Member
As well as Nigel Harris and Barry Doe, who has retired due heath issues rather than choice given in if not his last column one of the last that if nothing else he wanted to continue his Rail column, Stefanie Foster who was deputy editor to Nigel has left too.
It was a great shame to see Stefanie Foster go as well - it was always a very good read in Comment when she deputised for Nigel Harris.

19Gnasher69

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Nigel Harris has resurfaced on the Green Signals podcast, along with Richard Bowker. Stephanie Foster is involved too.
It’s a slightly clunky listen at times but interesting nonetheless - a little like an audio version of Nigel Harris’s editorials but with input from others.

STINT47

Barry Doe has written a review of the new national rail timetable ij the latest edition of Rail so it looks like he's not fully retired. I wish him well as I have always enjoyed his writing.

The paper my latest issue is printed is really poor quality. It's like tissue paper, tears easily and doesn't feel nice to handle I've dug out an edition from last summer and whilst still not great the paper was thicker.

david1212

Established Member
Today I received issue 1001.

The first thing I noticed was that it is printed on poorer flimsy paper again. Issue 1000 reverting to better paper seems a one-off.

Philip Haigh is Interim Consulting Editor. Howard Johnston was Guest Editor for a few issues. Scanning through I still did not see mention of a new permanent editor being appointed.

STINT47

The first thing I noticed was that it is printed on poorer flimsy paper again. Issue 1000 reverting to better paper seems a one-off.

Philip Haigh is Interim Consulting Editor. Howard Johnston was Guest Editor for a few issues. Scanning through I still did not see mention of a new permanent editor being appointed.

I was also disappointed with the paper quality, especially as the cover price has also increased.

After issue 1000 had better quality paper I was hoping that this was a permanent change but sadly it would appear not.

The current paper quality makes for a poor reader experience. The magazine doesn't feel good to hold and if carried around in my backpack it tends to rip.

Looking through the contents nd taking account of the quality issues and higher price I'm sorry to say that I returned the current issue to the shelves and left it un purchased.

gazthomas

Established Member
To get around poor quality paper I use my tablet. I resisted the move for years and now I'm used to it. It won't replace the feeling of a nicely printed magazine, but it's better than poor quality paper

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was also disappointed with the paper quality, especially as the cover price has also increased.

After issue 1000 had better quality paper I was hoping that this was a permanent change but sadly it would appear not.

The current paper quality makes for a poor reader experience. The magazine doesn't feel good to hold and if carried around in my backpack it tends to rip.

Looking through the contents nd taking account of the quality issues and higher price I'm sorry to say that I returned the current issue to the shelves and left it un purchased.
It's particularly noticeable in a supermarket where each magazine title is displayed full on, unlike in Smith's where they get jumbled up.

Purple Train

Established Member

The proof-reading for the last few issues has been noticeably dreadful. I presume they're just suffering from the effects of short-staffing and hope it isn't permanent.

uglymonkey

In latter years I always used to think it was Nigel's own "rant" mag, with his editorial especially connected to the twitter account ( was that Nigel's or the mag itself)? I did enjoy The "tickets" guys column and sometimes Woolmar - although he seemed to have a particular axe to grind sometimes. It was good for lesser know news about the industry, but less so when it veered into "opinion".

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In latter years I always used to think it was Nigel's own "rant" mag, with his editorial especially connected to the twitter account ( was that Nigel's or the mag itself)?
It was Rail's but Nigel used at as if it was his own which I always thought was quite a problem as Nigel was a man of strong opinions! Since he retired he has had to set up a whole new Twitter account as he hadn't had one of his own before.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The proof-reading for the last few issues has been noticeably dreadful. I presume they're just suffering from the effects of short-staffing and hope it isn't permanent.
I have noticed this also, nothing short of shocking really for a magazine that charges so much.
I must say, I wouldn't be purhcasing the magazine if it wasn't already a part of my library e-press.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It was Rail's but Nigel used at as if it was his own which I always thought was quite a problem as Nigel was a man of strong opinions! Since he retired he has had to set up a whole new Twitter account as he hadn't had one of his own before.
Slight correct; he's not retired - he left EMAP or whatever it's called these days, but he's still as active as ever with Green Signals.

david1212

Established Member

The proof-reading IMO hasn't been great for a while. Magazine production is rather different to say manufacturing anyway but IMO a turning point was the step increase in working from home almost 4 years ago.
In today's digital age is there actually a complete printed or even PDF 'print' review / proof? Automatic spell checkers can of course make 'wrong' corrections.

The proof readers need to know the subject and geography too to pick up errors e.g. the station between Redditch and Barnt Green is Alvechurch not Alcester.

12LDA28C

Established Member
The proof-reading IMO hasn't been great for a while. Magazine production is rather different to say manufacturing anyway but IMO a turning point was the step increase in working from home almost 4 years ago.
In today's digital age is there actually a complete printed or even PDF 'print' review / proof? Automatic spell checkers can of course make 'wrong' corrections.

When I was proof reading for Railways Illustrated a few years ago there certainly were digital previews in PDF format which required proofing. I don't know how they do things at RAIL, however.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
When I was proof reading for Railways Illustrated a few years ago there certainly were digital previews in PDF format which required proofing. I don't know how they do things at RAIL, however.
I’ve always found it’s much easier to proof on paper - you spot more that way. Even when a proof arrives as PDF I always print it out before red-penning it.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Scan it in and send as a PDF by email with all comments and corrections on. I do it all the time with JCTR - Journal of Coatings Technology and Research.

I found it much easier to simply add comments and corrections onto the PDF and return by email. Anyhoo, this is rather off topic.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Which is fine but the Editor will require the PDF file returned by email with amendments included or notes/comments attached.
They may. Or they may be happy with an email simply listing the changes, which is what I usually do. As an editor I was 100% ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.